Caliber and bullet choice for flintlock deer rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excess650 said:

The Lyman Great Plains rifle is a well made, mass produced rifle, and I would much prefer it to a TC Hawken. It has a longer barrel for higher velocities, a longer sight radius, and looks like a real Hawken. For a flintlock, I would just opt for the 54cal and shoot PRBs.

BTW, use real BP in a flintlock in both the barrel and pan.

After you shoot a flinter for a while, I think you'll realize them to be a 100 yard rifle under the best of conditions. Flint ignition at its best can rival a percussion gun for quickness, but most aren't that quick. Slower ignition and lack of follow through on the shooter's part will show on the target range.
I agree 100%. I have owned a T/C White Mt. carbine, A Austin & Halleck Mountain rifle and now a Lyman GPR Hunter in .50 cal. The GPR has by far the quickest ignition time of the 3 which has helped my accuracy greatly. Have the Lyman peep sights on it which has helped as well. Went with .50 cal because of the greater availability of components compared to the other calibers. As stated the .50 cal prb has killed MANY deer. If I want I can buy the 1in 66" bbl if I choose to go back to prb but I like shooting conicals or sabots. Currently I am shooting the Horandy FPB 350 grs over 80 grs of Swiss 2f. If I do my part with my 50 yr old eyes I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yds from the bench.
Buy the Lyman....u will not be sorry!

Flintlock

I have a TC Pen Hunter with a 32 inch 1x66 for RB. I also have a 1x28 21 inch Green Mountain Barrel for it. I also Have a Lyman Deer Stalker in 54 ca it is a 24 inch 1x48. Also a smooth bore 32 inch 54 cal Green Mountain all of thesse barrel's are interchangable. I like a 54 powerbelt in 444 cal for the Lyman 1x48 barrel shoot real well at 75 yds with 80 gr 2 f Black. I the others are PRB. The 1x28 50 cal I use a .430 300gr XTP with 75 gr of 3f black 2 inches at 50 yds off bench.

Funny I’m thinking of going in the opposite direction. I’m contemplating on having a 451 bbl made for my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker and shooting my 350gr HP bullets that I use in my White’s.

dbowling said:
Did you guys notice the thread is 8 yrs old?

Yep sure did, There was a SPAM post that brought this thread back up, I responded to it with my post above, The Spam post has vanished, i would guess a Mod deleted it

yeah I saw the spam post, wonder why they would use such a old post to spam would be just as easy to do it to a new one.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:

Yep sure did, There was a SPAM post that brought this thread back up, I responded to it with my post above, The Spam post has vanished, i would guess a Mod deleted it

dbowling said:
yeah I saw the spam post, wonder why they would use such a old post to spam would be just as easy to do it to a new one.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:

I don’t know what the deal is with that? I’ve seen that twice on here now, someone starts an account and their first post is some form of Spam trying to sell something, link to it, etc.

Latest posts

Back