Sight/Optic options: Anyone rolling with Skinner sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Rat

Reaction score
Well shot the Hawken both this past Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was mostly trying to dial in the load for both the Hawken and my inline CVA Wolf. I started with 385gr Great Plains Bullet riding on top of 70grs of Triple 7 2F, sparked my No 11 Remington Magnum caps in the Hawken. Loved shooting it but not excited about accuracy even at 25 yds. That all changed when I moved up to 90grs of Triple 7. My groups were inside of a 50 cent piece at both 25 and 50yds. That's fine though I still have to work on my elevation and windage to bring the groups to center. When I was done shooting at 50 on Sunday it really hit me that my eyes are getting old. I can see the target or I can see the front sight post (especially since I hit it with high contrast lime green paint) but not both clearly. My inline has a great scope and that just reminded me all the more that I need to give myself some help if I want to hunt this Hawken in eight weeks. While I am willing to put a scope on the Hawken, if necessary to hunt ethically, I really don't want to if I can help it. Anyone rolling with Skinner sights? http://www.skinnersights.com/thompson_center_19.html
Where I hunt the woods are thick or I get them breaking a tree line in the open only briefly so not a shot longer than 100 -125 yds with most 50 yds or under. These should help with fast target acquisition and are so much less drastic looking than a scope. Again nothing against scopes, I have them on all my rifles except this Hawken. If anyone is running a Skinner, which one is the best fit for these rifles? The rear sight for TC octagonal barrel ML seems the closest I can see but I prefer to hear from the collective wisdom here for folks who have mounted them on these rifles. Last again for those running the Skinner rear sights, what size front blade sight are you running? Thanks. :yeah:

i've used skinner sights and theyre good stuff, specially their ghost rings.

but before going that route, to make sure an aperture rear is what ya want, try a neodymium rare earth ring magnet stuck to yer rear buckhorn or partridge. you might even like the neo enuf to forego the skinner, 8)

Yeah, I really liked the easy way of trying out the neo magnets. I was always troubled about the diameter of the peep/ghost ring. Just wasn't sure what would be good on the Hawken and with the season approaching not a lot of time to fiddle with the setup, trying different magnets etc. Then today I dug deeper into the skinner site and found both an aperture size adjustable offering as well as an elevation adjustment knob woth cli:ks. http://www.skinnersights.com/apertures_8.html
That sealed the deal for me so I ordered the setup . I'm thinking if I can dial the aperture to the same size as on the Magpul BUIS on my M4 this should be pretty slick. We'll see. Thanks.

that's a fine skinner peep setup, but a lotta buck$ to lay out ... hope it works well for ya!

Yeah, no doubt my pocket is feeling lighter, lol. That said a word about Skinner as a company, very responsive to my email question, refunded me shipping charges by consolidating the three piececs into one shipment and shipped everything out yesterday so it should be here tomorrow in time for me to put it together and try out this weekend! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

yes, he's a good man, have bought sights from him before, really solid well-made stuff.

City rat.. Did you have any feedback or info on how this worked with your hawken? I too have a hawken .50 cal (Cva model) and would like to upgrade the sights on it and don't know what to do. I thought about getting peep sight for it. I don't want to out a scope on it if I don't have to. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back