Lyman Deerstalker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All of my guns so far are inlines however I often find myself interested in something traditional. Looking at this gun on muzzleloader.com at a reduced price. 1:48 twist percussion. Any opinions appreciated. Other suggestions?

My son and I both have the Flintlock version of the Deerstalker. We like them! In fact I just shot it today shooting 90gr of Goex 3F powder with PR 300 Extreme Elite bullets. I was very pleased with the groups at 50 yards using iron sights. My eyes are not what they use to be and I'm thinking of installing a peep sight on it.

No, the GPR. Great Plains Rifle made by the same company that makes the Deerstalker and Trade Rifle. 1-60 deep groove rifling for a PRB. Closer to a real Hawken than other production guns, except the Pedersoli's. They make a Rocky Mountain version too with a slow twist, but as you say. A hefty price.

Gun showed up today. Cleaned bore with hot soapy water. One thing I'm wondering can I take the hammer off? Does it need to be in a certain position? Manual doesn't tell me much. Really like the feel of this gun. Intend to shoot Trip 7 will I need to swab bore between shots? If I use lubed maxihunter won't this get awful messy.

Not sure soap and water will clean the factory lube from the bore. It could be petroleum. I usually use carb cleaner. Soap and water is used after you shoot it and at that point you're using BP lubes that clean with soap and water.

Yes, you can remove the hammer and yes, it goes on in just one position. Why do you want to take it off?

T7 leaves a crud ring, so you'll have to swab to remove it. You may have slow to no ignition using T7 in a sidelock if you don't keep the breech channel and nipple clean. Make sure to use good caps too.

edmehlig said:
My son and I both have the Flintlock version of the Deerstalker. We like them! In fact I just shot it today shooting 90gr of Goex 3F powder with PR 300 Extreme Elite bullets. I was very pleased with the groups at 50 yards using iron sights. My eyes are not what they use to be and I'm thinking of installing a peep sight on it.
Get the peep and you'll amazed how well you can shoot! I put one on my Deerstalker a few years back and have never been sorry.

lefteye said:
edmehlig said:
Get the peep and you'll amazed how well you can shoot! I put one on my Deerstalker a few years back and have never been sorry.
I was thinking about that at the time I ordered the gun. Did you leave the original sight on the front?

I had fiber optic sights prior to the peep and left the red front sight on.

I think the red bead really helps in low light. Your eyes may be sharper than mine.

Just notice that Lyman once made the Deerstalker with a 54cal bbl and in a left handed flint lock as well. Anybody have one of these? If so, how do they shoot? I've emailed Lyman to see if they are still available and how much do they cost and if they come with front/rear sights and ramrod. If they respond back I'll let you know what they want for it. 8h 6993179 L. H. Barrel (.54 cal.) Flint

Heard back from Lyman. Apparently they have seven left 54cal left handed flint barrels left at a whopping cost of $320.07. You would have thought it would have been cheaper as they are no longer offering them and would want to get rid of them.

Latest posts

Back