New to flintlocks and muzzleloaders in general and I could use some advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntax attack

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just purchased my first muzzleloader today, a Traditions PA pellet .50 flintlock with a 1:48 twist. I am trying to to figure out the best loads to shoot for it and I had some questions. I have done some of my own homework but I would really like some input from experienced flintlock shooters, so if anyone would be kind enough to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

What I am looking for out of my loads:
I will be deer hunting primarily, so if you have a favorite type of round for this I would love to hear it.
I would really like the shortest delay possible when firing, this is a pretty high priority for me.
Accuracy would be my next priority

Questions:
I know that for the priming pan that the finer powders are recommended, 4f being what I see recommended most often. But I found some 5f and I was wondering if this would be an even better choice? I have also seen 7f powders online, are these an even better option?

For my the main charge I see that most people shoot 2f powder, but I have seen a few people saying they prefer to use 3f as it cuts down on the delay as well (this would be desirable for me). Can anybody give their input on this? Is there a downside to using the 3f over the 2f?

I will be painting the stock (synthetic black stock) to camo it up, is there an issue doing the same to the barrel?

Is there anything else you think a newbie flintlock shooter should know? Anything you wish someone had told you when you first started shooting flintlocks?

Thanks in advance guys!

You'll get a lot of different opinions on what powder to use. Especially, in flintlocks. I use Goex 3F for the pan and charge on my flintlock. I've never liked using 4f powder in the pan. It's too fine and absorbs too much moisture in damp weather. You also need a really tight seal on the pan too or else 4F will leak out while hunting. 3F works perfect for me.

Don't use anything but real black powder in a flintlock. The subs will have lousy ignition.

syntax attack said:
Hello all,
I just purchased my first muzzleloader today, a Traditions PA pellet .50 flintlock with a 1:48 twist. I am trying to to figure out the best loads to shoot for it and I had some questions. I have done some of my own homework but I would really like some input from experienced flintlock shooters, so if anyone would be kind enough to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

What I am looking for out of my loads:
I will be deer hunting primarily, so if you have a favorite type of round for this I would love to hear it.
I would really like the shortest delay possible when firing, this is a pretty high priority for me.
Accuracy would be my next priority

Questions:
I know that for the priming pan that the finer powders are recommended, 4f being what I see recommended most often. But I found some 5f and I was wondering if this would be an even better choice? I have also seen 7f powders online, are these an even better option?

For my the main charge I see that most people shoot 2f powder, but I have seen a few people saying they prefer to use 3f as it cuts down on the delay as well (this would be desirable for me). Can anybody give their input on this? Is there a downside to using the 3f over the 2f?

I will be painting the stock (synthetic black stock) to camo it up, is there an issue doing the same to the barrel?

Is there anything else you think a newbie flintlock shooter should know? Anything you wish someone had told you when you first started shooting flintlocks?

Thanks in advance guys!

First off, only black powder. I know your rifle says it can shoot Pyrodex Pellets, and it can. But in most cases ignition is slow and sometimes not dependable at best. Some shooters duplex the load for pellets with some black powder first, then the pellets. But if you're going to do that what's the use of the pellets.

For pan powder I would stay away from 5f powder. While it would work, its very very fine. Wind and frizzen pans with fine powder can be a hoot. I use 4f on the range only because when I got my first flinter 4f was suggested. So I purchased 2 pounds. Well I am still shooting the last pound and that was years ago. 3f will work fine in the pan. I have even shot 2f just to see if it works. And it does. Keep a sharp flint that sparks good and they swear no powder can even set off a rifle. I would believe that.

Your main charge can be 2f or 3f. If you want to use just one powder then stick with 3f. There is no downside to shooting 3f over 2f unless your rifle does no like 3f. Just lower the load of the powder a few grains and it should be fine. To cradle the flint in the jaws of the lock some use leather some use lead. I like leather, but its a choice you have to decide.

If that rifle is loading hard, be sure and swab between shots.

I've had better accuracy with fffg in my flintlocks regardless of caliber. ffffg is finer and will be consumed more quickly, so is what is in the pan of my flinters. I would avoid the "FA" powders as they are "fireworks" or blasting powders and NOT glazed like the "g" powders (sporting grade).

SOME shops will sell a partial # of ffffg if you desire, but it depends upon how much YOU intend to shoot. 3-5gr is about all the pan of a flinter will hold, and 7000gr to the pound, so lots of shots in a single pound. If you don't intend to shoot much other than for hunting and would prefer to keep it simple and cheap, just buy fffg and call it good.

Latest posts

Back