Fast twist shorter barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious why there aren't more traditional rifles made with faster twist shorter barrels. Seems like a no-brainer with sabots being so popular nowadays. Opinions?

They never caught-on, mainly because everyone was into buying inlines with central, often hidden ignitions.

In January 2014, I sold a VGC wood stock CVA sidehammer with 1:28 twist to a pawn shop for $40. In around 2003 or-so, Bass Pro Shop had them on clearance for something like $39.95. It was a terrific shooter of those T/C Mag Express 185gr Hornady XTPs in green sabot / 44-cal.

I have only one sidehammer remaining and I cuss at it every time I look at it. God, I hate full-stock sidehammer MLs, with those two PITA pins. Every time I see a CVA Mountain Rifle in 66-twst, I miserably frown. That one was my 2nd choice at Cabelas new guns counter, when I purchased the Shenandoah longrifle instead.

We all make buying mistakes once in a while...... yada - yada - yada.

T/C attempted a fast twist traditional rifle and they had some success. The White Mountain Carbine came out with a 1-38 twist I think it was and it was a good conical shooter. I personally purchased a T/C Black Mountain Magnum. It has the same barrel as the Omega, other then the ignition system is changed. It can even shoot pellets. And it is an excellent sabot shooter. I scoped it and it is as good as any inline for shooting sabots. But again, people see a traditional rifle and they think round ball.

Little do they know that even the 1-48 twist rifles will shoot sabots. Maybe not as well as fast twist rifles but a person I know shoots 240 grain XTPs in a Renegade and does real well with them.

Maybe because a traditional rifle shouldn't be shooting sabots. That's what inlines are for.

the fast twist sidelock style are usually long range guns and shoot big conicals (gibbs, Whitworth, Rigby...) and they pretty much all have long barrels.

Agree with all of the above.
May I also add - they (most big manufactures) don't know much about shooting ML - especially accurately. IMO exception would be Pedersoli.

Green Mountain put out a carbine fast twist stainless barrel. I have heard good things about them but they are not easy to find.

I have a Investarms Hunter Carbine .45 1:24 twist, very accurate with big conicals and assume it would shoot sabots as well..

Latest posts

Back