Traditional muzzleloader advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunter523

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting into traditional muzzleloaders but am not sure where to begin what what brands are good. I do like the look of the Kentucky rifles and would like something similar but don't want to pay any more then just a few hundred for it. What twist rates are good as well as possible loads

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Re: Traditional muzzleloader advice

I just bought a Lyman Deerstalker from muzzle-loader.com and am very happy with price and purchase. They have a number of Kentucky long rifles from Traditions also. I like 1:48 twist.

See if you can find a used Cabelas or TC hawkins -easy to clean and great shooters - 50 cal -

What's a good twist rate to look at getting. Also were looking at moving to Idaho so the game I'll be hunting won't just be whitetail anymore So I'd like something I can take down large game

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

The $265 Kentucky has a 1:66 twist, suited best for lightweight roundballs and patches.

The one next to it pictured is a 1:48 twist. It's the Hawkens and that twist allows a wider selection of conicals and even sabots in the 200-300 grains range, plus featuring heavier conical weights than the roundball, making them more suitable for elk-type game to harvest.

So if you're on a tight budget for a new ML and want variety of bullets to play with, I recommend the Hawkens at $311. That 1:48 twist will still shoot a roundball fairly well. Just not as well (arguably) as the longer barrel 1:66 twist Kentucky.

Personally-speaking, I'd love to talk you into getting a fast-twist 1:28 inline. Centralized ignition - breechplugs that can be removed - weatherproof ignitions -- hotter ignitions - fiber-optics - scope ready......etc.... etc.... a couple dependable models starting in the $210 range.

If you go with a 66 twist I'd recommend you get a 54 caliber. The bigger round ball would be a lot better for elk, etc. In 50 caliber I'd recommend a 48 twist and see how big (long) of bullets shoot well in your gun. Sometimes a 300 grain bullet will shoot good sometimes only 250 grain.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

If you're going to Idaho and plan on hunting elk and bear than I'd definitely go with a 54. As for twist rate, if you want to shoot balls and conicals get a 1:48 twist. If you want to stay the traditional route and shoot patched balls go with the i:60 or 1:66 twist.
A 1:48 twist .50 cal will handle an elk shooting a conical bullet and a stout charge. But the .54 has a bit more OOMPH!

If I was heading west with a Traditional rifle and was going to shoot conical it would have to be .54 caliber or bigger IMO. Now some 1-48 twist rifles can and do shoot sabots and conicals. I have a Traditional T/C Black Mountain Magnum that shoots a musket cap ignition, in .50 caliber. The Black Mountain Magnum has a 1-28 twist. In fact its the same barrel as found on their Omega except its put in a traditional rifle. They claim it can even shoot pellets. I can tell you it will, but it does much better with loose powder. That would be a good choice.

Keep an eye out for used rifles. When you have a limited budget, a good condition used rifle can be a good rifle to get you going.

Back