.50 caliber Traditions Hawken Woodsman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
50%20cal%20trad%20woodsman%20rifle_zpsxkijqt2t.jpg

I have owned this rifle for years. But since the acquisition of the custom flintlocks, my mass produced model have went by the way side so to say. Well today was beautiful outside. Fresh snow, 35 degrees, sunny, not too windy, and I wanted to shoot. So I looked the gun rack over and spotted the Traditions Woodsman Hawken Flintlock with the 1-48 twist in .50 caliber. I purchased this rifle to match the percussion model of the same rifle. Except the percussion has a 1-66 twist. I always knew the rifles were both good shooters. So I looked them up for loads on my gun directory and this one likes 85 grains of 2f black powder. So off I went.

I set the target out at 34 yards (the distance varies on my range depending on how far and were I set the shooting table.) and then got the rifle ready.

50%20cal%20trad%20woodsman_zpsetz9iq2l.jpg

The notes for the rifles said hold dead center under the bull for in bull hits. So that is what I did. While the hits were technically in the bull I wanted them higher. I liked the group mind you but just an inch or more up. So with handy Swiss army knife in hand, we adjusted the sights.

While the height was fine, why they suddenly moved slightly right I do not know. Then an important phone call came in and kind of ended my day on the range.

Over all this rifle impresses me. The lock is very fast. I use an agate in the jaws of the lock and never had a misfire or hang fire. All ignition was fast and sure. Just a real nice rifle to shoot.

Maybe don't keep that rifle locked up for too long. Looks like an impressive shooter to me.

That's some outstanding groups you have there with that Flinter.

Ray........... :yeah:

Awesome shooting. I have a Cva hawken .50 and I'm looking to get it back out to the range for some sighting soon. Beautiful rifle you got there..

Muzzy2002 said:
My hawken 50 cal made by cva
d4c77afa640d1f5aed80cbce5273a30a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rifle has the same sights on it my CVA Stalker Carbine have. They are nice sights.

cayuga said:
Muzzy2002 said:
My hawken 50 cal made by cva
d4c77afa640d1f5aed80cbce5273a30a.jpg

Your rifle has the same sights on it my CVA Stalker Carbine have. They are nice sights.

Really? I was actually looking to invest in some better sights. I don't know much about these sights. I know they are whT came with it as I doubt my father ever changed them after he bought it new, but if they're good I may keep them. Do you know much about these?

All I know is after cataract surgery where they put long distance lenses in my eyes, these are ones that I can see really well. Now my carbines are short range weapons. Also they adjust easy. But my favorite sights on rifles are they Lyman Rifle sights.

cayuga said:
All I know is after cataract surgery where they put long distance lenses in my eyes, these are ones that I can see really well. Now my carbines are short range weapons. Also they adjust easy. But my favorite sights on rifles are they Lyman Rifle sights.

I wish my hawken was a shorter rifle because I love shooting it so much. Is there a shorter barrel for these hawken rifles out there? I was thinking about getting something else for sights. Something like a peep sight or something but definitely don't want to mount a scope on it. I like the look of t without a scope.

There really is not a commercial barrel maker that I know of. I am sure there are custom barrel makers. But don't over look that Hawkens of yours. They are good rifles. As for a peep sight, I have an old Traditional Pioneer Traditional Rifle that a gun smith mounted a peep sight on it. its a very accurate rifle.

cayuga said:
There really is not a commercial barrel maker that I know of. I am sure there are custom barrel makers. But don't over look that Hawkens of yours. They are good rifles. As for a peep sight, I have an old Traditional Pioneer Traditional Rifle that a gun smith mounted a peep sight on it. its a very accurate rifle.

I love this rifle. My dad don't hunt no more so he gave it to me a few years ago. It had not been shot in over 29 years when I got it and I went through the thing completely. Shot it last fall for my first time. It was like like Christmas morning for me as a boy lol.. Do you know how I can tell what year it is? I want to say it's a 1991 but I'm not sure. My dad bought it when I was a young boy, I remember the day he bought it. I was there with him and he bought a lot of stuff with it, and he gave me everything he bought. It's funny how I remember everything about this gun. My dad shot it maybe 5 times and I was there for all those 5 times. The last time he shot it he hurt himself because he didn't push the conical all the way down and it kicked back so hard it left a mark on his shoulder.
d524bf6a39907327f5a793ec260cc375.jpg
72cca7cb8a274cfb5e1d2e2b69d9b3af.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the number that I found on the barrel. Can you make anything of it? Maybe a way to find out what year it was made. On the back of the manual it says copyright 1992 so i'm guessing 1991 was when it was made
2244691eb6a8782e8ad806715b224ec6.jpg

66dfa853a97c814a88bfc9dcb0c469a6.jpg

The first two numbers or the last two numbers of the serial number on CVA and Traditions are normally the year the rifle was manufactured. For instance I have rifles that were purchased in 1995 and the serial number reads; XXXXX - 95 On the older model CVA and Traditions they sometimes read 91 - XXXXXX again, indicating the year they were produced.

Looking at your serial number I would bet it was made in 1991. Although you can call CVA and ask them if its that important to you. I would just say, nice rifle. Shoot it and enjoy it.

rifles_zpsyseuzfig.jpg

On T/C, Lyman, and Knight the serial number is not an indication of the year they were made. Be careful these muzzle loaders can get addicting.

cayuga said:
The first two numbers or the last two numbers of the serial number on CVA and Traditions are normally the year the rifle was manufactured. For instance I have rifles that were purchased in 1995 and the serial number reads; XXXXX - 95 On the older model CVA and Traditions they sometimes read 91 - XXXXXX again, indicating the year they were produced.

Looking at your serial number I would bet it was made in 1991. Although you can call CVA and ask them if its that important to you. I would just say, nice rifle. Shoot it and enjoy it.

rifles_zpsyseuzfig.jpg

On T/C, Lyman, and Knight the serial number is not an indication of the year they were made. Be careful these muzzle loaders can get addicting.

Thanks!! I agree, these are very addicting. I've bought 3 in the last 4 months lol. I would like to get another hawken rifle with a shorter barrel possibly a flintlock. Hint: if anyone's selling one let me know lol

Fourth from the left in that picture is a T/C .50 caliber Hawken Flintlock with a 28 inch 1-48 twist barrel (great shooter) and I have a 21 inch flintlock 1-28 twist Green Mountain Barrel that fits that stock also. The GMB will shoot sabots and conical bullets. Its just the barrel that fits in the same stock. I really have not thought about selling it. But I am going to start to thin the herd. I will keep you in mind depending on what I decide.

cayuga said:
Fourth from the left in that picture is a T/C .50 caliber Hawken Flintlock with a 28 inch 1-48 twist barrel (great shooter) and I have a 21 inch flintlock 1-28 twist Green Mountain Barrel that fits that stock also. The GMB will shoot sabots and conical bullets. Its just the barrel that fits in the same stock. I really have not thought about selling it. But I am going to start to thin the herd. I will keep you in mind depending on what I decide.

That would be awesome I'd be interested in something. Keep
Me posted. Flintlock would be cool but i'm interested in anything really lol

toytruck said:
Dave, are the traditions stocks 1" flats? Wonder if a GM Renegade barrel would fit?
No they are not. They are closer to 15/16th which would still make them OK. But they are not quite 15/16th. And their escutcheon plates don't line up with the GMB wedge lock location, Also, the breech hooks are too fat. There was a company years ago that used to sell barrels for most any brand, but I forget the name of them now.

cayuga said:
toytruck said:
Dave, are the traditions stocks 1" flats? Wonder if a GM Renegade barrel would fit?
No they are not. They are closer to 15/16th which would still make them OK. But they are not quite 15/16th. And their escutcheon plates don't line up with the GMB wedge lock location, Also, the breech hooks are too fat. There was a company years ago that used to sell barrels for most any brand, but I forget the name of them now.
Thank you sir! I should have known that, but didn't...

Back