Hot Shot nipples?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also many of the T/C stainless steel nipples work just as well as the "hot shot" nipples. Although depending on the brand you purchase I have noted that the nose of the nipple is longer on some brands then others and that can make a difference on inlines especially.

cayuga said:
Also many of the T/C stainless steel nipples work just as well as the "hot shot" nipples. Although depending on the brand you purchase I have noted that the nose of the nipple is longer on some brands then others and that can make a difference on inlines especially.
Dave, Do you know what the difference is in the Knight red hot nipples vs the Uncle Mikes hot nipple? I have seen a diagram of the insides of the Uncle Mikes nipple which has a narrow channel at the firing end which allows more direct flame. I just wonder if the Knight nipple has the same design. The knights are a couple bucks more expensive than the TC nipples too!

I like the Uncle Mikes due to the extra hole in the nipple where the cap sits, upon firing the cap just disappears if its not inside the hammer cup. (a very good reason for eye protection)!

I do not know the difference. I wore out my red devil hot shot nipple from Knight, couldn't find another Uncle Mike's so I went with the stainless steel T/C nipples. They have been working good. But I do remember that when it comes to the different brands, one had a longer nose. I think it was the Knight because it was made for inline hammers.

toytruck said:
https://www.amazon.com/Knight-Rifles-Red-Hot-Nipple/dp/B003WHL1C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488410827&sr=8-1&keywords=knight+red+hot+nipple
The Knight nipples are on Amazon if you shop there, they say free shipping but that price seems to have shipping included. :roll:
I bought some of the Knight BP Cleaner from this same seller. Did you notice it says the seller is "Modern MI"? My invoice said it came from Knight. Guess they are also selling though Amazon now.

Not sure if the Knight is similar in design to the TC but I like the Knight Red hot Nipples. They have never failed for me.

I would suggest you take a look at the Hot Shot offered by Track... The caps fit tighter on them than they do on a Knight Hot Shot...

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/1

hot-shot-rst_0.jpg

Part Number: HOT-SHOT-RST
Availability: In Stock
Price: $6.99

sabotloader said:
I would suggest you take a look at the Not Shot offered by Track... The caps fit tighter on them than they do on a Knight Hot Shot...

hot-shot-rst_0.jpg

Same as I posted above, but thanks SL I knew I liked them for some reason, haven't shot the Renegade in too long.

I ordered two hot shot nipples and a .45 bullet puller from Track today!

toytruck said:
sabotloader said:
I would suggest you take a look at the Not Shot offered by Track... The caps fit tighter on them than they do on a Knight Hot Shot...

hot-shot-rst_0.jpg

Same as I posted above, but thanks SL I knew I liked them for some reason, haven't shot the Renegade in too long.

I ordered two hot shot nipples and a .45 bullet puller from Track today!

For a Hammer gun such as a sidelock or a plunger gun I would really go with a different #11 nipple. If you go far enough into the TOW Nipple pages you will find a RST-S nipple this nipple is basically a stainless steel copy of the AMPCO nipple but with a .031 touch hole. The advantageous of these is that once the cap is applied to the nipple correctly it becomes virtually water proof. The stack on the nipple will accept the nipple easy enough but quickly begins stretching the convolution in the walls of the cap almost flat against the nipple stack creating a near water tight seal. The disadvantage of this nipple - the only way you get the cap off is to shoot it off or peel it off with the edge of a knife blade,

TOW_11_Nipple.jpg

This is the RST-S installed in a MK-85 Plunger Gun

TOW_RST_S_SS_Nipple.jpg

I have tried to use these nipples with a Knight DISC but the firing pin is not big enough to drive the edges of the cap up against the nipple stack. So I have to retreat to the TOW Hot shot nipple for that application.

Hope some of this makes sense.

Standard nipples work just as well, I picked some up at the Log Cabin shop in Ohio, dont know what brand they are but they are great.

In 50 years of shooting black powder, mostly traditional but also some inlines I found "Spit Fire" to be the best and most dependable nipple I ever used. I have them on all of my black powder guns even now. See link.
http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/product.asp

For fit I just put a nipple in the ole battry powered drill and work down with an emery board or piece of sandpaper on a piece of board backer. For tight fit just squeeze open end into an elliptical shape and press onto nipple.

W

I recently switched from Stainless RMC nipples over to Treso/Ampco, About 30 shots max on the RMC's and they were toast! Big heavy bullets and 80 plus Grains of real Swiss Black gets rough on nipples. The Treso/Ampco's are light years ahead of the Stainless RMC's, I also recently tried a MSM Spitfire in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32 Twist .54 Cal, they are a Stainless nipple as well, it held up no better than the RMC, I have yet to wear out a Treso, I live close to Buffalo Arms and am in there often, they carry both the Treso's and RMC's

Here is a pic of a brand new Treso/Ampco next to a MSM Spitfire with less than 30 shots, more like 20 shots, notice how opened up the flash hole is in the Spitfire, this will be the last MSM Spitfire i mess with

Latest posts

Back