Whitworth lovers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
For those the like Whitworth's, I asked the owner of this rifle to bring it to my LRML - Oak Ridge Match this past weekend.
It's a 26bore match rifle (bore diameter of 0.568"). Weighs in at 10#. Identical in nearly every detail to a 52bore (0.451") with the exception of the taper in the barrel from about 4" from the breech is not a sever and slight larger at the muzzle due to the taper.
I was hoping another shooter would bring his 30cal, so we could get all 3 together for some photos - maybe next year.
About 10 years ago, I asked many Whitworth owners if they'd bring their rifles to the Oak Ridge Match and we had 29 originals in total.

Attachments

• Whit 26b rt.JPG
    Whit 26b rt.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Whit 26b stk.JPG
    Whit 26b stk.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 340
Beautiful, now is that gun able to shoot in the match? I have been online looking at as many Henrys, Rigby, and the Whitworth pictures as I can , getting looks for my build,witch will be a Henry now. I am getting help from Ron England, using his lock ,breech and trigger and all the other henry parts he has. My greenmountain barrel was just shipped to him today to get breeched by him. I doubt that I will be shooting my in lines again. I always had a funny feeling calling it a muzzleloader. I was brought up with my father hunting with a over and under 45 percussion, he was very good with it. He had many regular rifles but he chose to hunt deer with that. The gun has been in the family forever and now in my possession. He'll be smiling when my Henry done. My first shot with a gun was that 45.and that was well over a half a century ago. Love these guns.

that one is alittle big in cal. but one like in .45 are used. there are quite a few originals used still

Are the 1000 yd match done in the prone or of a bench? and is there a timer set on it.Yes I know the 45cal rule the roost for long range,but was curious if they let other or whatever cal they whant.

Are the 1000 yd match done in the prone or of a bench? and is there a timer set on it.Yes I know the 45cal rule the roost for long range,but was curious if they let other or whatever cal they whant.

I Have seen people try 40 cal. But little too light of bullet. I think there is rule on bullet weight , but not sure. 52 bore can answer that. Match is shot prone no bench

Yes ,but is there a time limit to get your 10 shots off? Shooting sticks?

yes , time depends on the yardage you are shooting. you can use stixs or wrist rest , sling

wildcat2 said:
Yes ,but is there a time limit to get your 10 shots off? Shooting sticks?
200 & 300 yard relays are 1 hour
600 - 1.25hrs
1000 - 1.5hrs
Unlimited sighters and 10 consecutive shots for score. The length of relay time is for ample practice, if one wishes to do so.

Rod England has attended Oak Ridge (unable this year) and has been by the house a few times. I was sadden when I heard about Don Brown's passing, but was glad to see someone pick up. Rod is a wonderful craftman/gunmaker.

Well ,thanks that gives me a idea of the Abe ability to do this I never gave to much of a thought, but I realize now that one has to get to his feet to reload each time. Don't get up and down from the ground like in the younger years. Might be a little push to work on the diet better. Yes Rod sure has help me. From what I could see mr.Brown was a very good gun maker,builder. Any time you loose a man like that it is a great lose.thanks for the info. I will be looking for advice when I get the build done and start shooting.

wildcat2 said:
Well ,thanks that gives me a idea of the Abe ability to do this I never gave to much of a thought, but I realize now that one has to get to his feet to reload each time. Don't get up and down from the ground like in the younger years.

We all did many things easier when we were younger!
Friendship in June/Sept is also a trip you should make, there is so much more going on.

Sorry for slow on the post reply been busy doing restoration work on my house. Yes Friendship is the national is it not? They shoot all classes and kind of muzzleloaders don't they. What is the difference between the June one and September match. Is this a weekend deal or longer? Hope to get my breech barrel back from Rod maybe this week so I can get started on my henry build. Going to start some practice inleting work this week on some spare blanks I have . This being my first build I jumped right into the hardest one first, but Rod has given me good advice and tips. Thanks everyone.

wildcat2 said:
Sorry for slow on the post reply been busy doing restoration work on my house. Yes Friendship is the national is it not? They shoot all classes and kind of muzzleloaders don't they. What is the difference between the June one and September match. Is this a weekend deal or longer? Hope to get my breech barrel back from Rod maybe this week so I can get started on my henry build. Going to start some practice inleting work this week on some spare blanks I have . This being my first build I jumped right into the hardest one first, but Rod has given me good advice and tips. Thanks everyone.
Even though off topic, I'll reply since you've asked.
Friendship (National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association - NMLRA) shoots about every imaginable ML made. 60# slug guns, Schutzen, Flint, Percussion rifle, pistol, shotgun, double rifles, etc... There is some spectacular pieces shot there, original and repo. There are typically about 1000 register shooters that attend both the June and September matches. June match is slightly more attended as more kids are present. September is the National Championship. Both matches run for 9 days (Saturday - Sunday) although the last Sunday is awards day - limited shooting.
There is also commercial row, lots of vendors with supplies and stuff. The town also turns into a Flea Market, sad to say many of the gun related stuff is dwindling as vendors pass. I wouldn't doubt if the town of Friendship gets another 1000 or so people visiting the first weekend. If you arrive opening Saturday in the am, don't be surprised if you're in traffic an hour to get in - been there done that.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted..

Wow,that's good stuff, where do all the people stay at? is there adequate motels or camping.?That would be one to see with all the different guns and shoots .yes I can get off topic easy enough.,this forum stuff is new to me. Sorry when I do.

Many shooters stay on site in a camper, tent or teepee.
Cincinnati is about 45 minutes away, a few smaller towns in between.

Do they have a class for the caplock muzzleloader, the Rigby, withworth,henry,ect? Does one have to preregistration for a shoot.? I like the camping part . I travel with my best friend my springer spaniel.

wildcat2 said:
Do they have a class for the caplock muzzleloader, the Rigby, withworth,henry,ect? Does one have to preregistration for a shoot.? I like the camping part . I travel with my best friend my springer spaniel.
Yes, your Henry project can shoot in multiple matches. If it's the Long Range you wish to shoot, distances from 200-500yds; Silhouettes, Mini-Creedmoor, etc..
You can call the NMLRA office to make camping reservations, no pets allowed.

Back