Considering hunting with this outfit !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I been thinking about actually using this gun to hunt with this year , especially if I draw a Refuge tag . I have some big lead conicals that I think would probably be deadly accurate in it . I might just have to break down and give it a shot ( no pun intended) :)
It's a 1:24 twist 50 cal .
Of course with my eyes I imagine 100 yards will be my max any more .

That is a beautiful rifle. When I visited the Pedersoli sight, I was checking out the different rifles and with the rifles they explain, they also have molds for what they shoot. Many of those 1-24 twist shot large conicals. I bet that would make a most interesting rifle to hunt with. Good luck!

I have a mould for a 450 gr for it but I have a bunch of bull shops , no excuses and even some 600 gr Whites that I think would work excellent . I think I might give it a try

What's the rifling twist like that in the barrel I would go with power belts always had good accuracy with those just my two cents

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

curly84 said:
What's the rifling twist like that in the barrel I would go with power belts always had good accuracy with those just my two cents

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion but I am one of the anti power belt guys , especially for shooting at an animal .

I bought that very same gun back in Dec. Only shot it once so far with some cutting edge saboted but like you intend to try some conicals this summer. Would love to hear some range reports.

That's a sharp looking shooter. Yeah no power belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a Traditional muzzleloader person, as of yet, but I must say, that is a fine looking rifle and I can see myself shooting/hunting with that :D

Looking forward to the range reports :yeah:

Great looking rifle - how much more accurate is the peep sight when compared to the regular V open sight?

BuckDoeHunter said:
I'm not a Traditional muzzleloader person, as of yet, but I must say, that is a fine looking rifle and I can see myself shooting/hunting with that :D

Looking forward to the range reports :yeah:

This is the one you would like to start out with in a Traditional style . Lots of knockdown power with a 460to 530 gr conical

Here are a few bullets that i am confident would shoot well with that Twist

This is a Buffalo Arms .492-450 Grain paper patch bullet that i shoot very well, i have some of these in 550s also but they didn't shoot as well in my 1:28 Twist Green Mountain Barrel

.50 Cal Lyman Plains bullet that i sized down to .492 and paper patch, these bullets shoot really good in my 1:28 twis as well

Here is the Lee S&W 500 bullet, I size this bullet down to .492 and paper patch it also, this bullet has always shot really good, I actually had a Custom mold made from this bullet that drops from the mold at .493-.494, i also did away with the Gas check in the Custom mold since i am paper patching it, The Lee S&W .500 is on the left, my Custom bullet on the right, i sent Tom at Accurate Molds a Lee S&W .500 bullet to mimic as closely as he could get it (minus the Gas Check)

Here is a Comparison of the Buffalo Arms .492 Paper Patch bullets, the big one on the Left is the 550 Grain, the middle bullet is the 450 Grain, and the Lee S&W 500 bullet on the right, the S&W 500 bullet weighs in at 460 Grains. Again, My 1:28 Twist Green Mountain Barrel didn't seem to like the bigger 550 Grain bullets, but shoots the 450s REALLY well, your 1:24 might shoot the 550s? There was a guy on the Cast boolit forum that CONSTANTLY swore you needed a ridiculously long bullet in these faster twist Muzzleloaders, i found it to be total BS, my fast twist rifles shoot the shorter bullets better than the longer ones, both my .50s and .54s, this guy claimed i needed a 650 Grain bullet etc. TOTAL BS GARBAGE!

Here is a Group i shot from my 1:28 Twist Green Mountain barrel with the bigger/longer .492-550 Grain bullets, my rifle clearly did not like them

And here is the most recent group i shot with the shorter .492-450s

I see what ya did there Lewis. :poke: :yeah:

Man! I sure wish photobucket hadn't screwed up everybody's "pitchers".

bubba.50 said:
I see what ya did there Lewis. :poke: :yeah:

Man! I sure wish photobucket hadn't screwed up everybody's "pitchers".

Ole 'strong eagle' Johnson1942 drove me nuts with that bullet length to twist BS, I know for a fact that it is VERY critical in centerfire rifle bullets that are zipping along at 2500-3000+ FPS and ranges of 1000 yards and beyond, But these old Muzzleloaders are lucky to break 1400 FPS, Good example is my .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist shooting a 460 Grain bullet with a STOUT 85 Grains of Swiss 3F, or 100 Grains of Swiss 2F just barely breaks 1400 FPS and Recoil is NOT pleasant! Even with a good lace up Recoil pad. At first I bought in to his Garbage about the need for a big huge long bullet in the fast twist rifles, i even had a Custom mold built for my .54 Cal and dedicated 1 Cavity of it to throw a bullet 1.2" long (That was Johnson1942s Claim that i needed in order for my 1:32 Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle to shoot good) That Cavity throws a 650 Grain bullet, the other Cavity is 515 Grains, I can tell you now from a substantial amount of shooting, and testing experience this Spring/Summer that my 1:32 Twist .54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter shoots the Smallest bullet i own better than the Longer bullets!! (My Lyman Plains bullets are the shortest i own at .85 Long in both .50 and .54 Cal) This has been the case in all 3 of my fast twist Rifles, .45 .50 and .54, they all 3 shoot the shorter, lighter bullet every bit as good, and in most instances better than the big long heavy bullets! And my Rifles are way more comfortable to shoot, anyone dumb enough to believe Johnson1942 deserves to have a boat anchor mold just like the 1 that i have! It is totally unnecessary in these old Muzzleloaders

1/28 twist is obviously too slow a twist for those long 550 bullets. Need something like a 1/20 or 1/18 twist. The lighter and shorter will do just fine in the 1/28. If you think of PRB and how they shoot better with slow twist and then long bullets need a faster twist depending on length. W

wolfer said:
1/28 twist is obviously too slow a twist for those long 550 bullets. Need something like a 1/20 or 1/18 twist. The lighter and shorter will do just fine in the 1/28. If you think of PRB and how they shoot better with slow twist and then long bullets need a faster twist depending on length. W

I Have 3 TC Scouts with 1:20 Twist, They also shoot the .85 Long Lyman Plains (The Shortest lightest bullet i own) VERY well. Here is what Johnson1942 Told me when i was looking in to buying my first TC Scout. I have debunked this MANY MANY times over

"if it is a 1/20 twist and 50 cal or bigger bore that is just too fast for anything less that 700 grain or more. it requires a too large a bullet and the gun is too light. ment for sabots. some can get them to shoot fair with bullets in the forest shot range but never ever out there where the other guns can shoot. way too fast of twist."

Latest posts

Back