Back cover of MB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Back cover of MuzzleBlast magazine.

Attachments

• JB.JPG
    JB.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 262
interesting the powder charge they mention as an accurate load. Now days, people push powder through their rifles like they were magnum center fires.

cayuga said:
interesting the powder charge they mention as an accurate load. Now days, people push powder through their rifles like they were magnum center fires.
People easily understand numbers and more/higher is better, right?

cayuga said:

I agree Dave! The old stand by seems to be 100 Grains of 2F, My dad and i shot together this last winter, there was quite a bit of snow on the Ground, my Dad grabbed his old .54 Cal Renegade and his trusty 100 Grain load of Goex 2F, and greased Maxi balls that i pour for him. After he shot and we headed to the target we discovered a lot of unburned powder, looked like pepper sprinkled over the snow, about a 20 yard trail of it! My load was 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, or 70 Grains of Swiss 3F? We could not find any unburned powder from my shots. Its quite obvious that dad's 100 Grains of Goex 2F is not all being burnt, his accuracy was really good. I've been wanting to get together with him and my Chronograph and try to find out where the velocity gain stops? My bet is 80 or so Grains

got my very first muzzler, a 54cal Renegade kit in 1974 the year they came out. I was younger, tougher and "knew everything" back then so, I thought I needed that 120gr max charge behind the greased maxi-ball to get that flatline trajectory from one hill to the next. could always tell it needed a new nipple when it would start puttin' itself on half-cock when fired.

after a few years I began to notice most shots I got were around 75yds or less & didn't really need all that 'oomph' and changed my huntin' load to 70gr and at 75yds with that load I could make shamrock cards for the St. Patrick's day parade all day long.

and at the range these days usually only use 50 to 60 grains gets me by.

bubba.50 said:
got my very first muzzler, a 54cal Renegade kit in 1974 the year they came out. I was younger, tougher and "knew everything" back then so, I thought I needed that 120gr max charge behind the greased maxi-ball to get that flatline trajectory from one hill to the next. could always tell it needed a new nipple when it would start puttin' itself on half-cock when fired.

after a few years I began to notice most shots I got were around 75yds or less & didn't really need all that 'oomph' and changed my huntin' load to 70gr and at 75yds with that load I could make shamrock cards for the St. Patrick's day parade all day long.

Bubba, Do you feel like you were Gaining much with that 120 Grain load? I Question the efficiency of that old Goex 2F powder of my Dads? I was shocked at how much unburned powder was scattered in a line on top of the Snow that day using his 100 Volume grain load. I shot 80 Grains of my Swiss 2F powder in my 10" barreled TC Scout pistol and the Snow was clean, we could not find a hint of unburned powder? I am confident the Swiss is burning clean. I know that Swiss is very noticeably hotter powder! Another thing I noticed when i shot with my Dad was the amount of Smoke and little smoldering embers from his Goex 2F, The Swiss powder burns a LOT cleaner.

Idaholewis said:
bubba.50 said:

Bubba, Do you feel like you were Gaining much with that 120 Grain load? I Question the efficiency of that old Goex 2F powder of my Dads? I was shocked at how much unburned powder was scattered in a line on top of the Snow that day using his 100 Volume grain load. I shot 80 Grains of my Swiss 2F powder in my 10" barreled TC Scout pistol and the Snow was clean, we could not find a hint of unburned powder? I am confident the Swiss is burning clean. I know that Swiss is very noticeably hotter powder! Another thing I noticed when i shot with my Dad was the amount of Smoke and little smoldering embers from his Goex 2F, The Swiss powder burns a LOT cleaner, and I believe the Swiss is way more efficient, it also costs about 8 bucks a pound more!

Idaholewis said:
Idaholewis said:
bubba.50 said:

Bubba, Do you feel like you were Gaining much with that 120 Grain load? I Question the efficiency of that old Goex 2F powder of my Dads? I was shocked at how much unburned powder was scattered in a line on top of the Snow that day using his 100 Volume grain load. I shot 80 Grains of my Swiss 2F powder in my 10" barreled TC Scout pistol and the Snow was clean, we could not find a hint of unburned powder? I am confident the Swiss is burning clean. I know that Swiss is very noticeably hotter powder! Another thing I noticed when i shot with my Dad was the amount of Smoke and little smoldering embers from his Goex 2F, The Swiss powder burns a LOT cleaner, and I believe the Swiss is way more efficient, it also costs about 8 bucks a pound more!

Bubba, Do you feel like you were Gaining much more with that 120 Grain load? I Question the efficiency of that old Goex 2F powder of my Dads? I was shocked at how much unburned powder was scattered in a line on top of the Snow that day using his 100 Volume grain load. I shot 80 Grains of my Swiss 2F powder in my 10" barreled TC Scout pistol and the Snow was clean, we could not find a hint of unburned powder? I am confident the Swiss is burning clean. I know that Swiss is very noticeably hotter powder! Another thing I noticed when i shot with my Dad was the amount of Smoke and little smoldering embers from his Goex 2F, The Swiss powder burns a LOT cleaner, and I believe the Swiss is way more efficient, it also costs about 8 bucks a pound more!

I don't really know Lewis, that was 40+ years ago & some days I forget what happened yesterday :huh?: . I'm sure the point-blank range woulda been better but I'm equally sure anything hit by one of those 430gr maxi's would have no clue if you was usin' 120grs or 70 :lol: . and accuracy was about the same with either load or anything in between.

people still miss ya over at castboolits so, I mentioned you was hangin' out here some now.

Oh, and I get a lot more shots-per-pound with a 70gr load 8) .

Back