Green Mountain LRH .54 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I have been searching for one of these .54 LRH Barrels for a long time (2 years or so, pretty much daily on the gun sites and Ebay) with ZERO luck, i finally found one on Gun broker, new unfired. Needless to say i was a HAPPY CAMPER! I bought my Stainless .50 LRH from Dave here, and my .45 LRH directly from Green Mountain, that was over a year ago and they had close to 50 of the blued .45s left in stock, i got the .45 barrel for 75.00 new from Green Mountain, they wanted rid of them, my only regret is that I didn't buy several of them! This .54 LRH is kinda my White Whale, Personal Holy Grail find. I cleaned it up really good from the factory gunk, then about 200 Strokes of Montana Extreme bore polishing compound, she looks like a fine mirror in there! I got it out today and shot, this is a Custom mold i had made for .54 Cal, it is based off the Lee S&W 500 bullet, i like a LARGE Meplat for hunting, i had this mold built by Accurate Molds, it drops from the mold at .533, i Paper Patch this bullet with 2 wraps of onion Skin Paper and send them through a .539 sizing die to 'iron the paper out' Accuracy was very acceptable for my first outing with this new barrel, i shot a total of 7 shots, 4 were sight adjustments and then i shot a 3 shot group, stil a little to the left, this was 50 Yards, 85 Grains of Swiss 2F powder, and a .060 Thousand Vegetable fibre over powder wad, i will be playing with powder charges a little more, then on to 100 yards. All in all i am very pleased, it was HOT today, i was in direct sun, my barrel got HOT quick and stayed that way from the sun. Here are a few pics, the barrel, the mold, and the bullet

Dang Ron, what are you going to do now that the white whale has been harpooned and the grail is in your pocket? :wink:

That's a great looking bullet. I'm with you on the wide flat point for lead, especially if using an alloy. Looking forward to seeing how it works out at longer ranges. 532 Grains? T-Rex will not be safe in your woods.

This isn't Ron, but he is a good friend of mine! I used the same front as his handle, except my name is Lewis, figured it was fitting since we both live in Idaho

Sorry about that Lewis. I guess my eyes never got past the Idaho part before moving on the the content. My wife always says I don't take enough time at the beginning to get it right.

Everything looks good.
Curious as to why your grease groove mold wasn't made to (0.540") or to fit your 54 rifles bore?

52Bore said:
Everything looks good.
Curious as to why your grease groove mold wasn't made to (0.540") or to fit your 54 rifles bore?

I shoot paper patched bullets exclusively, the reason i had the mold built to drop the bullet at .533 was so i could paper patch it up to bore diameter, i have 2 different types of onion skin paper, 2 wraps ads between 7-8 Thousands to the overall diameter, so i end up at .540-.541, i then run the patched bullets through a .538 or a .539 sizing die (depending on which gun i shoot, i have 2 .54 Cals that are tight bored and like the .538, and 2 that need the .539) by running these bullets thru the sizing die all i am doing is 'ironing the paper out' The reason i stuck with the Grease grooves was simply to reduce the weight as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back