.492-450 BACO bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Dave, I just got these done up to try in this Stainless .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH Barrel i got from you, if i can pin a good load down with these i plan to try them at 500 Yards like i am doing with my .45 LRH, This Stainless barrel i got from you is an absolute Muzzleloaders dream to clean! My blued Barrels are nowhere near the same league, i can have this Stainless barrel pulling cotton white patches in no time (i use the 1/4 bucket of water cleaning method, pull and push water in and out, a bronze thru brush to make sure i get everything in the grooves, a little dish soap added to a patch, and the brush) once i get this Stainless barrel clean pulling cotton white patches it STAYS that way, even after pulling it from the water and drying it off, when i run dry patches down it to dry the bore they come out cotton white, my blued barrels on the other hand flash rust, even though they are thoroughly clean when i run dry patches down to dry the bore out the patches will have a tinge of brown color, i have learned to deal with it, nothing i can do to stop it with these blued barrels! Once dry, i use a liberal amount of oil and coat the bores really good, the blued barrels stop showing the brown tinge, so i am confident it's a flash rust issue due to the type of steel, high carbon content? Anyway, this Stainless barrel i bought from you is an ABSOLUTE pleasure to clean!

This will be a fun project to see how well i can get these BACO bullets to shoot in this .50 Cal, if all goes good i will work on 500 yards with it. Here are the bullets i just got done up and ready for testing

I made it out this morning and shot these, i tried a stiffer charge of powder, 95 weight Grains of Swiss 2F (for whatever reason this Stainless .50 Cal GM LRH barrel i got from Dave prefers a stiffer charge) this was at 50 Yards to test, i shot a total of 6 shots, my clean bore shot was a little high and a pinch to the right, my next 5 shots were inside 1" I asked Idahoron awhile back how he measures Group size? He told me he measures outside edge to farthest outside edge of Group then minus the bullet diameter, in this case my outside edge to farthest outside edge measured dead on 1.2" with my Calipers, the bullet diameter is .492, the 5 shot Group came out at .708, i am very pleased with this, i will be taking this Rifle/Load combo out to 500 Yards soon, if that goes well i will see just how much farther i can stretch it? A few pics

This is the Barrel i got from Dave here, THANK YOU DAVE! This is my absolute favorite barrel to clean, and it's a DARN good shooter!!

5 shots in .708, the high flyer is my clean bore shot.

My .060 Vegetable fibre Over powder wad, you can see how well these seal the bore

Harleysboss said:
I see you made it! Welcome IdahoLewis. Now go shoot those bullets.

I did shoot them! See my target above, i will be moving back to 500 with these, possibly 600 depending on how 500 Goes? 600 yards is about as far as i can possibly get here, this Country is brushy, and Dense, not many Clear cuts, they Thin Log instead of Clearcut around here. I have more Usable adjustment in my Lyman 57s, and with me using the lowest 17AHB Globe that Lyman makes that allows even more Elevator adjustment, My Elevator will be just a hair above bottomed out on the Sight base with my 100 yard Zero, Almost flattened out.

Latest posts

Back