Quality bore brushes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Warning to those that use bore brushes in their front stuffers (i have always used one) they are NOT created equal! They make brushes that loop through, and brushes that are press fitted, if you use the press fitted type in your front stuffer you are asking for problems, they can pull apart (i know this first hand!) it's a bad feeling when you bottom out and start to pull and the rod comes back without the brush! You can help this by slightly twisting the rod when you bottom out, that changes the direction of the bristles and they will usually come back out much easier, but the best way is to avoid the press fitted brushes all together and stick to the loop through type, the loop through brushes are designed for Muzzleloaders

Here is a good loop through brush that won't pull apart

And here is a press fitted brush that can/will pull apart

like a lot of people I found out about what happens when ya use the cheap brushes the hard way. and if I was gonna use a brush I'd certainly get the good kind. but after havin' to use vice-grips on the end of the rod to remove a few from the bore I just don't use a brush at all anymore and don't really feel I'm missin' anything.

but that's just me, YMMV.

bubba.50 said:
like a lot of people I found out about what happens when ya use the cheap brushes the hard way. and if I was gonna use a brush I'd certainly get the good kind. but after havin' to use vice-grips on the end of the rod to remove a few from the bore I just don't use a brush at all anymore and don't really feel I'm missin' anything.

but that's just me, YMMV.

I have 1 rifle in the stable that i feel like my bore brush is necessary on and that is My Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32 Twist .54 Cal, This thing has deep sharp riflings, after i clean good with a patch in a bucket of tap water i switch to a brush and its amazing how much more black oozes out the nipple hole into the water after a few strokes with a good fitting bore brush, i am confident it is fouling deep in the grooves and the bore brush is getting it? About 6-8 Strokes with my bore brush and that black goes away, then i swap back to a Jag and patch, with a little dish soap, this patch will come back white. None of my other barrels have riflings this deep and sharp. Using one of the good loop through bore brushes in my cleaning routine has become habit to me.

most people I know use brushes at some point if not all the time. I've just had too many bad experiences with'em so, the only time I use a brush now is on cartridge guns where I can push it all the way through. if I run into a barrel that needs scrubbin' I use scotchbrite on a jag.

Back