White Mountain Carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rangerod said:
Does anyone know anything about this gun made by T/C? It has a 21 inch barrel and 1-20 twist.

If you are familiar with the TC New Englander the White Mountain Carbine is very similar, single non set trigger, i am pretty sure the White Mountain Carbine has a slim rubber butt pad? Half octagon/round barrel, I always thought the twist rate was 1:38 for the White Mountain Carbines, are you sure it is 1:20 Twist? I am a TC guy, but have never been fond of the New Englander, it is my least favorite TC, I recently seen a brand new unfired White mountain carbine in a Pawn Shop, i looked it over really good and nearly everything about it reminded me of my New Englander so i passed on it.

I bought one back when they were first introduced and had it for a few years. To be honest, I hated it. The trigger had so much creep in it you had to start pulling it and hope a deer came along....
I had the trigger worked on but it never got much better.
The front sight is so coarse it covers up most of the front half of a deer at 50 yards. I also had trouble finding a bullet that would shoot well and I tried everything I could get my hands on. Eventually I settled on the heaviest .50 bullet from Buffalo Bullets.
I still feel guilty about selling it to someone else.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
I bought one back when they were first introduced and had it for a few years. To be honest, I hated it. The trigger had so much creep in it you had to start pulling it and hope a deer came along....
I had the trigger worked on but it never got much better.
The front sight is so coarse it covers up most of the front half of a deer at 50 yards. I also had trouble finding a bullet that would shoot well and I tried everything I could get my hands on. Eventually I settled on the heaviest .50 bullet from Buffalo Bullets.
I still feel guilty about selling it to someone else.

You just described my TC New Englander to a T! I absolutely hate this thing, but it was given to me by my dad therefore i will never get rid of it, I have tried everything i know to like this rifle and i just can't do it. I had the tang drilled and tapped and installed a Lyman 57SML peep, i also installed a Lyman 17AHB Front Globe and put a Lee Shaver bpcr insert in it, i Ground the hook beak off the side of the Tang that stops you from removing the Lock without having to remove the Tang as well. I have had the trigger completely apart and highly polished the Hammer and Sear mating surfaces, that helped some but the Trigger is stil JUNK. I have heard it referred to as the Meat And Potatoes Gun, in my opinion they are JUNK, and the White Mountain Carbine looks identical, stock, and mechanical wise. My TC New Englander has the QLA Muzzle which i also despise! I might send this barrel to Hoyt and have him bore it out to .58 to get rid of the QLA yet not have to lose any barrel length, and have him Twist it to shoot a Lee R.E.A.L. I am not a Round Ball fan, although if i were to care about trying a Round Ball gun i would prefer a .58 Cal

When I read the listing for the gun I had to do a double take on the 1-20 twist. E-mailed seller who says it measures 1-20 and the T/ C catalog shows the same. Twist rate apparently was changed to 1-38 on later models. The gun also has NO QLA. Gun is in good shape with normal handling marks.

IMHO they were neat, handy little carbines and I never had a problem with the trigger on the one I had. don't know if T/C had a hard time decidin' on a twist rate or what but, at various times WMC's came with 1 in 20, 1 in 28, and 1 in 38 twists.

my biggest complaint with them was the short barrels. it made them awful handy but, besides makin' muzzleblast uncomfortably loud I felt like(I have no real proof) it wasn't utilizin' the powder at anything over about 60grs. and though it was never a problem, that thin wrist made it seem fragile in some way to me.

Thompson Center Catalog#20 shows the WMC with the following twist.
45 caliber 1-48"
50 caliber 1-20"
54 caliber 1-48"

Thompson Center Catalog #22 shows the WMC with the following twist.
50 caliber 1-38"
54 caliber 1-48"

The Barrels of the 45 and 50 Will both fit in the stock of a TC Hawken with a 15/16" barrel channel if the the under rib is shortened. The Barrel of the 54 will fit in a Hawken or Renegade stock with a 1" barrel channel if the under rib is shortened. This would allow you to have a nice carbine with double set triggers.

I recently done some experimented with my 50 WMC using some paper patch bullet out to 75 yards with the stock iron sight and am convinced that it shows a lot of promise. My next move will be to install a peep sight to take advantage of the longer sight radius.

For those looking for a carbine barrel with a fast twist to shoot Conicals or Sabots ,the 50 WMC may satisfy that desire.

Saxtonyoung said:
Thompson Center Catalog#20 shows the WMC with the following twist.
45 caliber 1-48"
50 caliber 1-20"
54 caliber 1-48"

Thompson Center Catalog #22 shows the WMC with the following twist.
50 caliber 1-38"
54 caliber 1-48"

The Barrels of the 45 and 50 Will both fit in the stock of a TC Hawken with a 15/16" barrel channel if the the under rib is shortened. The Barrel of the 54 will fit in a Hawken or Renegade stock with a 1" barrel channel if the under rib is shortened. This would allow you to have a nice carbine with double set triggers.

I recently done some experimented with my 50 WMC using some paper patch bullet out to 75 yards with the stock iron sight and am convinced that it shows a lot of promise. My next move will be to install a peep sight to take advantage of the longer sight radius.

For those looking for a carbine barrel with a fast twist to shoot Conicals or Sabots ,the 50 WMC may satisfy that desire.
Please keep us informed of your experience with the peep sight. Is that a tang peep or on the barrel?

I do have a TC tang sight that could be mounted but will most likely opt for a Lyman 57 SML.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
rangerod said:
Does anyone know anything about this gun made by T/C? It has a 21 inch barrel and 1-20 twist.
Did you buy the WMC?
Yes. It should be here early next week. I have a friend with the identical gun and it has a great trigger. Shoots gr8 with 300 grn xtp and 80 grns ffg 777. It is my understanding that after the 1-20 twist T/C decided to downgrade the gun because they didn't think they'd sell many. Honestly if it wasn't 1-20 twist I wouldn't have bought it.

The 1-20" twist is what made the 50 WMC so appealing to me ,in fact I believe it's one of those sleeper bargains for shooting heavy Conicals.

I have a White Mountain Carbine .50 cal. I believe it is the slower twist version, but I'd need to verify to be sure.

It was my first ML, and belonged to a good friend who passed away unexpectedly far too early in life. I agree these rifles definitely have some areas (trigger and sights) that could be improved. But I have found mine is minute of deer accurate for closer shots with 240 gr TC Cheap Shot lead bullet & sabot over 80 gr 777.

I have since caught the muzzleloader flu, and mostly shooting inlines these days. The WMC is mostly just a gun for fun shooting on occasional range trips, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it into some of the thick covered areas I hunt. I see guys with peep sights and globe sights on sidelocks making accurate hits into the hundreds of yards. IMHO, if that's the goal the WMC is not a great candidate. But, for a quick handling ML carbine to take close shots, if someone finds an accurate load the WMC will fit the bill.

My first TC was a 50cal Grey Hawk purchased for hunting bad weather in NY state's shotgun/MLer only areas. I really liked the way it handled, and later bought a New Englander a Tree Hawk 12ga then a WMC. These all share the same stock shape, single trigger, and percussion lock. I managed to find a possibly unfired .54 Grey Hawk barrel and 12ga choke tube NE barrel as well. I LIKE the stock shape better than a Hawken or Renegade because the drop fits me better. The single trigger is of no disadvantage if it has a reasonable pull, and mine all do or did.

WMC specifically, they are octagon/round. I checked my .50 several times and kept seeing 1 turn in less than 18", so it was definitely one of the quick twist, non-QLA barrels. It was handy, but I just could never get it to group consistently like I could the 24"-26" slower twist barrels on the others, regardless of sabots/conicals/PRB, so I found it a new home.

I'm wondering if the oct/round barrels from the Pa Hunter and Pa Hunter carbine would fit, but not enough to revisit a WMC.

to satisfy yer curiosity and save ya some moolah, yes the Penn Hunter barrels will go right on a WMC stock and so would a 45 or 50 caliber Hawken barrel. :yeah:

bubba.50 said:
to satisfy yer curiosity and save ya some moolah, yes the Penn Hunter barrels will go right on a WMC stock and so would a 45 or 50 caliber Hawken barrel. :yeah:

bubba.50 DEFINITELY knows his TC's!!! I learned a BUNCH about these rifles from bubba, and he helped me acquire a few hard to get ones! Thanks again my friend!

He certainly does! :prayer: There must be lots of 'em floatin' around down there in SW Virginia.

Hello all! My .02 cents worth. My previous WMC in .50 caliber I used a Hornady green sabot and a Hornady XTP 240 grain 44 caliber bullet and 68 grains of Goex 3F. Hot shot nipple and RWS caps. The carbine had a small cheap scope on it, I don't remember which one, probably a Bushnell low power and it shot great. I killed a lot of deer out to around 100 yards. I tried out a lot of bullets with different charges and they all were lousy. It got stolen. I think I'll try to fit the WMC barrel I now have into a Hawken with set trigger. Good luck hunting to all!
Bob

Back