CVA Youth Sidelock....changing sights?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaElkSlayer

Reaction score
Bought my 12 year old a CVA Youth Sidelock for the upcoming mule deer season. Been searching online and can't find any aftermarket sights for it. I was wondering if this rifle may be a youth version of another, more popular muzzleloader that I might be able to find sights for? Any idea what sights would fit?

Thanks,
Jim

Only pic i could find of the gun with a real quick google search looked like it has dovetailed sights front and rear. Is that how yours is set up? If so it looks like both hivis and williams make fiber optic sight sets for it.

DakotaElkSlayer i am not familiar with that particular rifle? I wish i had it in front of me, I'd like to see if a Lyman 57SML, or a Williams FP Hawken would fit it? I have no doubt it could be done, my bet would be more toward the Lyman 57SML which is a great tang mounted peep.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/6934559/c ... wder-rifle This is the actual rifle. It has a dovetail front and an adjustable,dovetail rear sight. Peeps would be preferred, but fiber-optics would be a great improvement. If at any time you have an idea, resurrect this thread. Right now, I am thinking the 80 pounder won't be able to handle a powder charge that will out-distance the sight on the rifle now, but he gets bigger every day! Any, any ideas...please tell. We JUST got into muzzleloaders and am loving it!

Jim
Reno, NV

That is a fine looking little rifle!! I stil say a Lyman 57SML would work, Skinner is another possible option, they mount on the Flat, i bet this one could be fit. I can not find anything specifically for a CVA Youth, but that doesn't mean you cant make one work! The Lyman 57 is obviously a Tang mounted peep, and this Skinner would mount near the rear sight, is the rear sight dovetailed in, or screwed down? I would think this Skinner peep, and a high vis front bead would make an AWESOME setup for him!

Here is the Skinner

http://www.skinnersights.com/images/TC_REN_1.jpg?871

Here's a pic of the rear sight. Will check out the Skinner...heard great stuff about them. Question, are the Williams Peep sight for octagon CVA muzzleloaders a dovetail or screwed in place?
c4fd6851f2be86e107a36ee48931a371.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have 2 Williams peeps, an FP Hawken (Tang Mount like the Lyman 57SML) And i have one on a TC Scout that mounts to the Reciever, Williams makes several peeps to fit various rifles. I would call Williams and explain what you have, they should be able to help you. I have spoke with them a few times and they were really good to deal with, i ordered both of mine directly from them, i went with their TK versions (Target Knobs) and Gib lock for the Elevator, i like the ability to make adjustments in the field without the need of a screw driver, without a Gib lock you would need a small flat head screwdriver to make adjustments. What does the Tang look like on that rifle? And the width of it?

DakotaElkSlayer, After seeing how short the Tang is I think i would go with a Barrel mounted peep like the Skinner, or The CVA that rangerod mentioned above, and i would mount it as far back as i could get it, you will obviously have to have it drilled and tapped, not a big deal! But i would have a Gunsmith do it unless you have the equipment and are comfortable with doing it, having something that simple done shouldn't cost much? The CVA mentioned above would look good, and so would the Skinner. I am so accustomed to a Peep sight that if it were my rifle i would be getting it done one way or the other, Ask rfd on Castboolits about peep sight options, he has used magnets and all sorts of cool gadgets as Peeps, Tell rfd i sent ya, he is a great guy, and very knowledgeable! Keep us posted, I wanna see what you end up doing?

a lot of CVA/Traditions adjustable sights and replacement sight sets have a dovetail slot blank with a threaded hole in it. you slide it into the barrel slot, position the sight over it & install the screw to hold it in place.

if the Williams set does not have this base they are easily made.

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Yup, just going to print this thread out so I have all the information on hand. Was hoping for a peep that simply slides in the dovetail, but, at the same time, I would rather spend a couple of nickels to to drill and tap the barrel to have a longer sight radius. First thing I am going to do is get the boy out and shoot that thing!!! We played around with some light loads and he loves the rifle, but we have to slowly work up to see what he can COMFORTABLY handle when it comes to the powder charge. If it ends up a load where 50yds is the absolute maximum range we will shoot at a deer, then the sight change will wait until winter. We are still trying to get him up to 40lbs. for archery and still have to develop loads for his Ruger .250 Savage! Did I mention he loves to fish?!! Maybe I should just talk my wife into letting me quit my job so I have time to get all this stuff done.

Thanks,
Jim

That is REALLY COOL that your boy is interested in this stuff! Sadly, Not many kids are these days. Back when i was a little kid 9 out of 10 of us boys in school hunted, Now days maybe 1 or 2 out of 10, These kids are the future of Hunting, if it keeps going the way it is, it will be easy for the Anti's to do away with it, no one will care, or even argue it.

The little CVA rifle you bought your boy is a REALLY NICE lookin little gun!! I have never owned a CVA, i Have been a die hard Thompson Center fan, The Hawken and Renegade are my absolute favorite Stocks, do away with the stock barrel and drop a Green Mountain LRH in its place, in my opinion that's about as good as it gets! I have not had any luck with stock 1:48 twist TC barrels, matter of fact i have learned to hate them! I think i expect to much from them? When you get use to shooting 1" Groups CONSISTENTLY at 100 yards with these fast twist GM barrels and the right paper patched bullet, it's tough to grab a stock 1:48 Twist and accept pie plate Groups, My experience with MANY Stock TC 1:48 Twist barrels is they DO NOT LIKE undersized paper patched bullets, That being said, a good friend of mine asked if i would teach him how to clean a Muzzleloader? He inherited it from his Grandfather, it was an old CVA .50 Cal Hawken and had been badly neglected from not cleaning properly, I Scrubbed and Scrubbed on that old rifle, pulled the lock apart, triggers, Gave everything a SERIOUS going over. We took that old rifle down to the sand pit and tried a half dozen or so of my Paper Patched S&W 500 bullets, that old CVA Hawken came ALIVE! My friend stuffed 3-4 of them inside 1" at 50 Yards, then broke clay pigeons on the bank with the last few, This was a Stock 1:48 Twist rifle.

DakotaElkSlayer said:
Thanks for all the replies, guys! Yup, just going to print this thread out so I have all the information on hand. Was hoping for a peep that simply slides in the dovetail, but, at the same time, I would rather spend a couple of nickels to to drill and tap the barrel to have a longer sight radius. First thing I am going to do is get the boy out and shoot that thing!!! We played around with some light loads and he loves the rifle, but we have to slowly work up to see what he can COMFORTABLY handle when it comes to the powder charge. If it ends up a load where 50yds is the absolute maximum range we will shoot at a deer, then the sight change will wait until winter. We are still trying to get him up to 40lbs. for archery and still have to develop loads for his Ruger .250 Savage! Did I mention he loves to fish?!! Maybe I should just talk my wife into letting me quit my job so I have time to get all this stuff done.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, Think your son would be interested in trying some of my Paper Patched bullets in his new rifle? If so i will gladly send him some! Along with .060 Vegetable fibre over powder wads. The lightest and shortest bullet i have in .50 Cal is the Lyman Plains at .85 long and around 395 Grains. They might kick a bit to much for him though? Especially if he is use to shooting a patched Round Ball. Wouldn't take me no time to pour some, i have some good soft lead in my lead pot now. My Stainless .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH Barrel shoots them VERY well, but for some reason this Stainless barrel likes harder lead? On the Contrary My blued GM LRH Barrels like dead soft Lead. Let me know, and i will make him up a package of a few different bullets to try. These will load REALLY EASY, And I would NOT be a bit hesitant about Swabbing between shots with a wet patch, my between shot swab mixture is 50/50 91% isopropyl alcohol, and blue windex. You don't want, or need the patch dripping wet, just give the patch a spray or 2, if it totally saturates the patch, roll it in a rag, old towel etc. to get the excess out, then Swab good, paying close attention to the Crud ring, swab back in forth in short strokes til you feel it clean up (i swab with the rifle laying on its side SNAIL/Hammer side UP) then run about 3 dry patches back n forth through it, leave the last dry patch seated against the breech and pop 1-2 Caps, then pull that patch out and inspect for a light brownish burn color, this does 2 things, 1st and most importantly it blows any goo out of the Snail and dries it out if there was any moisture? (if your swabbing patch was just moist, and not dripping wet there shouldn't be any moisture in the Snail) But stil a good idea to pop a cap and make sure the snail is dry. The reason i use 91% Isopropyl alcohol is it dries really quick.

I know it seems like i am bashing the stock 1:48 twist TC barrels, and for my shooting style (sized paper patched bullets) I am bashing them, but the fact is i am not shooting them the way TC designed, i know guys that get really good accuracy from the stock 1:48 twist TC barrels using Lubed TC Maxi balls, and Patched Round balls (the way TC intended) so in short i am not being fair to the stock 1:48 Twist TC barrels. I am a dedicated Paper Patched bullet shooter, and have found the Green Mountain LRH barrels fit my niche OUTSTANDINGLY! I have ZERO desire to shoot Round Ball, tho i have them, along with different patch thicknesses etc. one day maybe I'll get bored enough to test accuracy with Lubed Maxi's and PRB in my few remaining stock TC 1:48 twist barrels, but for now the Green Mountain LRH Barrels are my thing!

I have tried several different paper patch combos in my stock 1:48 twist TC barrels with FAR less than stellar results, i have tried soft lead, harder lead (9-91/2 BHN) different powder charges etc. the closest i have came to semi decent accuracy was with dead soft lead, i found the harder lead to be DISASTROUS! I'm talking volkswagon sized groups, i was lucky to hit a sheet of plywood during most of my testing with harder lead, papers were sticking to my bullets and making the trip to the target etc. I finally gave up messing with the stock barrels, i figure why bother with them when i could easily shoot a stock barrel in half at 100 yards with any of the 3 Green Mountain LRH barrels i own, i got so frustrated trying with the stock barrels that i threatened to use them as targets! But again to be fair I wasn't shooting them the way TC intended

Idaholewis said:
Jim, Think your son would be interested in trying some of my Paper Patched bullets in his new rifle? If so i will gladly send him some! Along with .060 Vegetable fibre over powder wads. The lightest and shortest bullet i have in .50 Cal is the Lyman Plains at .85 long and around 395 Grains. They might kick a bit to much for him though?

Thank you for the generous offer!!!! Would it be possible to take a raincheck on the offer? The reason why I ask is that we have so much to try to get done already before season starts and we are both brand new to muzzleloading. Would love to take you up on the offer in the spring when we both have time to really learn all about paper patching...

Jim

DakotaElkSlayer said:
Idaholewis said:
Jim, Think your son would be interested in trying some of my Paper Patched bullets in his new rifle? If so i will gladly send him some! Along with .060 Vegetable fibre over powder wads. The lightest and shortest bullet i have in .50 Cal is the Lyman Plains at .85 long and around 395 Grains. They might kick a bit to much for him though?

Thank you for the generous offer!!!! Would it be possible to take a raincheck on the offer? The reason why I ask is that we have so much to try to get done already before season starts and we are both brand new to muzzleloading. Would love to take you up on the offer in the spring when we both have time to really learn all about paper patching...

Jim

Most definitely! I will help you guys anytime, i am curious if these bullets will shoot good in the little CVA? Like i said earlier my friends rifle is an old CVA Hawken and it shoots them VERY well! Just let me know and I'll send you some. Keep us posted on how the little rifle shoots!

Re: RE: Re: CVA Youth Sidelock....changing sights?

Idaholewis said:
DakotaElkSlayer said:
Idaholewis said:

Jim

Most definitely! I will help you guys anytime, i am curious if these bullets will shoot good in the little CVA? Like i said earlier my friends rifle is an old CVA Hawken and it shoots them VERY well! Just let me know and I'll send you some. Keep us posted on how the little rifle shoots!
Wish I was shooting muzzleloaders before we moved from Moscow to Reno!!! Hey, if you ever go to Reno, you are welcome to crash at my house. Son just called...he and Grandpa are at an auction in Idaho and Grandpa just bought him a .36cal and a TC .50 cal! ...tough being the ONLY grandchild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind offer! I am a total hermit, it's doubtful i will ever see Reno? lol!

A .36 Cal huh? Now that is a FUN little caliber that is HIGHLY underestimated! What Make/Model is it? I have 2 .36 Cal TC Senecas, one with the rare Tang mounted peep, Thanks to my friend here bubba.50!! bubba pointed me in the direction of both of my .36 Cals, Had it not been for bubba.50 I wouldn't have either of these rifles, thanks again bubba!!

I have a Maxi ball mold for .36 Cal, talk about fun!! The last .36 i bought with the rare as roosters lips TC Tang mounted peep also came with this Maxi ball mold

Back