Antique muzzleloader question...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaElkSlayer

Reaction score
So, got the son back from the grandparents today and he came home with an OLD muzzleloader. It is stamped Truitt Bros &Co and it is a half-stock of around .36 cal. Stock is rough, but the rifling looks DANDY! I have a question about its lock. It will not lock back UNLESS you first click the back trigger. Then she locks back at full cock and the front trigger is what you'd expect on double triggers. So, is the lock broke or dirty for it to behave that way, or was it designed this way?

Thanks,
Jim

sounds like the sear arm is contactin' the rear trigger bar which is why it won't cock unless it's first "set". this may be due to some combination of wood shrinkage due to age/dryin' out of the wood and/or after much assembly/disassembly the wood at the trigger recess has compressed puttin' the triggers too far into the inlet. possible fixes would be usin' a shim of some type under the trigger plate and/or modifyin' the top of the rear trigger bar to give more clearance.

sounds like the sear arm is contactin' the rear trigger bar which is why it won't cock unless it's first "set". this may be due to some combination of wood shrinkage due to age/dryin' out of the wood and/or after much assembly/disassembly the wood at the trigger recess has compressed puttin' the triggers too far into the inlet. possible fixes would be usin' a shim of some type under the trigger plate and/or modifyin' the top of the rear trigger bar to give more clearance.

some older locks were made that way. I believe they are without a half cock. There should be nothing wrong with lock

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! First, I am going to shoot it before even thinking about diving into the mechanics. After playing around with it last night, I am guessing a .34cal...bigger than a .32 and a .36 ball won't roll down the barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back