Percussion Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both look like fun guns. Both have been around for quite a while.

Suggestion...check the pawn shops and used gun shops out. Picked up last month the Traditions Kentucky pistol in what I would call "very good" shape. Set me back $80 and brother, that thing shoots!!! With 25gr of Black MZ a jack rabbit only has a chance if I screw up. Should be illegal to have that much fun for $80.
Same price got you a .45 CVA at the same shop.
Jim

of the two you mention I would go with the Lyman. quite a bit better quality of components and fit & finish. also, that saw handle grip on the Trapper looks awkward & somehow fragile to me. whichever you decide on I'd recommend holdin' it in yer hands to load instead of tryin' to use a loadin' stand to avoid puttin' too much pressure on the wrist/grip of the stock.

my opinion & yer welcome to it.

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

I traded a barrel I wasn't using for a Like new with box Lyman Plains .50 Cal pistol, it is REALLY fun to shoot! The first outing with the pistol i was having bad hangfire issues after 2-3 shots, i cleaned the pistol thoroughly and started investigating the cause? I pulled the little clean out screw on the side of the snail and used a new drill bit that fit the hole perfectly and just turned by hand, sure enough there was a Burr left in the manufacturing process and removing it COMPLETELY solved the hangfire issue. I'd bet this is why the guy got rid of it? It was a super easy fix and now the pistol is very reliable!

This Lyman Plains is very well made, i have no experience with the Traditions but understand they are very similar. If you are looking for a SERIOUS big game capable pistol I HIGHLY advise you to try and find a TC Scout, they are a no frills SERIOUS pistol! I have one in .50 Cal and have done quite a bit of testing with different bullets from paper patched, to Sabots over my Chronograph, This thing will slightly Rival a .44 Magnum when pushed to TC's Max load data. William Hovey smith has a decent Youtube video shooting the Scout, Recoil is on the HEAVY side when you run full tilt loads, These Scouts are built like HURRICANES and will digest the heaviest of loads with ease! There is absolutely no comparison between my Lyman Plains and TC Scout, the Lyman plains and the Traditions are more in the lines of fun pop guns at closer range, While the TC Scout is a FULLY capable big game hammer!!

This is a gun that I seriously doubt I will ever hunt with. But that doesn't mean I don't want something highly accurate. I've put a lot of effort into finding the best loads for each of my guns. CVA Optima (Thor), Redemption (Parker BE), Triumph BC (TEZ 290), Knight Vision (265 Hornady ftx). To me this range time has been very enjoyable. I will have to give the Scout a serious look.

The Optima pistol is a serious piece of equipment too. 100 grain capable, 209 primer fire, bh209 compatible, these guns can be had fairly reasonably starting at around $250.00 for a stainless/black model. I paid $247.00. Mine carries the 209 breechplug from CVA. I have mine scoped with a Leaper 2X7 and fifty cent sized groups at 50 yards are the norm with a 63 grain charge of bh209 [weighed] under a green crushrib holding a 240 grain XTP. I use either the CCI or Winchester 209 primers and both are clean after firing. Yes its a kicker as Idaholewis has alluded to.

My buck fell to this pistol last fall and the amount of shock damage using a 250 grain XTP was unbelievable. I've settled on the load I've described for my hunting load and have complete confidence that out to 100 yards the gun will be deadly on deer or even black bear using the 240, just a hair bit milder mannered in the recoil department. It still needs both hands.

I traded a barrel I wasn't using for a Like new with box Lyman Plains .50 Cal pistol, it is REALLY fun to shoot! The first outing with the pistol i was having bad hangfire issues after 2-3 shots, i cleaned the pistol thoroughly and started investigating the cause? I pulled the little clean out screw on the side of the snail and used a new drill bit that fit the hole perfectly and just turned by hand, sure enough there was a Burr left in the manufacturing process and removing it COMPLETELY solved the hangfire issue. I'd bet this is why the guy got rid of it? It was a super easy fix and now the pistol is very reliable!

This Lyman Plains is very well made, i have no experience with the Traditions but understand they are very similar. If you are looking for a SERIOUS big game capable pistol I HIGHLY advise you to try and find a TC Scout, they are a no frills SERIOUS pistol! I have one in .50 Cal and have done quite a bit of testing with different bullets from paper patched, to Sabots over my Chronograph, This thing will slightly Rival a .44 Magnum when pushed to TC's Max load data. William Hovey smith has a decent Youtube video shooting the Scout, Recoil is on the HEAVY side when you run full tilt loads, These Scouts are built like HURRICANES and will digest the heaviest of loads with ease! There is absolutely no comparison between my Lyman Plains and TC Scout, the Lyman plains and the Traditions are more in the lines of fun pop guns at closer range, While the TC Scout is a FULLY capable big game hammer!!
Hey Lewis, have you ever had any ignition issues with the scout? I had a scout carbine when they came out and I had constant ignition problems with it. I only shot black powder and I made sure the flame channel in the plug was clean but it was never reliable. That was many years before I became a gunsmith and ut got stolen anyway but I've often wondered if the flame channel was too small. I never measured it but I distinctly remember that it was a TINY little hole. Nowhere near the .030 to .035 you see nowadays. I haven't had any interest in the scout since then but I forgot they made a pistol version until seeing a couple of your posts. I imagine it's a handful with that single action grip, lol!

Hey Lewis, have you ever had any ignition issues with the scout? I had a scout carbine when they came out and I had constant ignition problems with it. I only shot black powder and I made sure the flame channel in the plug was clean but it was never reliable. That was many years before I became a gunsmith and ut got stolen anyway but I've often wondered if the flame channel was too small. I never measured it but I distinctly remember that it was a TINY little hole. Nowhere near the .030 to .035 you see nowadays. I haven't had any interest in the scout since then but I forgot they made a pistol version until seeing a couple of your posts. I imagine it's a handful with that single action grip, lol!

No I didn’t have any issues at all, The KEY to success with the TC Scouts, Be it Pistol or Carbine (They are Built identical) is understanding its TEENY TINY Patented Breech, a .22 to 24 Caliber Brush is IDEAL for Getting in the Patented Breech. If you don’t Clean These they Will Rust & Corrode, Which is why they Misfire. When understood, and properly cared for, The Scout is EXTREMELY Reliable. When empty, simply Cock the Gun and look through the Flash Hole, if you See Light it will Go BANG when loaded. If you Can’t see Daylight? There is obviously a Problem in the Patented Breech, Pop a Cap straight through with barrel Pointed Down, The concussion from the Cap will Break the Fouling/Crud Loose. Look through again, you should see Daylight through through the Flash Hole :lewis: I found the Scouts to be EXTREMELY Reliable, But i also understand them VERY Well

I'd go with the Lyman in 50 cal.
Seems like the better gun.
I found a CVA mountain pistol in a pawnshop a while back. Never fired, for 80 bucks. Love that gun.
A 490 round ball and a .015 patch over 30 grains of 3f Swiss powder. The gun shoots mint for me.
I wouldn't hesitate to get a shot at a deer with it under 25 yards.

Latest posts

Back