BIG Trees for gunstocks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Get your saws out, then your rasp..
Spoke to a long time friend today on the phone, even with recent health issues (age 75) he was still excited to tell me about some trees he wish he could have been involved with - he could only watch..
He send me some photos of 2 different trees.
No telling how many gun stocks will come out of these. Although these old trees are only removed when past producing in orchards, some like one here seems to be near a home or building. They are becoming more and more rare as many were graphed over a century ago and the supply is dwindling.

California Walnut, I don't know the species.

This one weight over 23 tons.

Attachments

• DB big tree 2017 .jpg
    DB big tree 2017 .jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 175
  • DB 2017 dig.jpg
    DB 2017 dig.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DB 2017 trailer copy.jpg
    DB 2017 trailer copy.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 175
Here are a few big trees of different species, this is my Dad back in the 80s era, The big spruce was Alaska, and The Douglas Fir was the Wa coast. My Dad was a Timber faller from start to retirement. I started logging under the big towers in the early 90s and became a Timber Faller in the mid 90s to current.

Big Spruce in Alaska

Big Doug Fir on the Wa Coast

Have been really thinking about making a gun stock for a muzzle loader i have the plastic stock is alright but i think a wooden one would be great,don't know if i can do it but might give it a try when i find the right wood for the project,looking for some real old bar wood.

Latest posts

Back