Paper Patched bullets for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
idahoron said:
Harleysboss said:
I have the same mold as Lewis. I have just got all my pieces together to try my hand at pan lubing them. I've got an old crock pot to melt the lube. I may try just dipping the bullets one at a time. I will experiment to see what works best for me.

If your going to just dip them you will need to leave them in the lube long enough to get the bullet warm. If you just go in and back out with the bullet the cold bullet will have a gob of excess lube on it.

I agree with Ron, You want to set your bullets in a cake type pan, melt your lube in a double broiler setup, i use the Microwave (i have a pretty cool wife, or maybe understanding? for the most part anyway) You should heat the bullets up a little, even with a hair dryer on high will get them hot! Then slowly pour the lube in until it just covers the top groove, let them sit overnight in a cool place, then cookie cutter them out, this is how i do it. I made myself a cookie cutter for .54 Cal out of a .50 BMG Case, i found a deep well socket that measured 547 which is what i needed to get over a Maxi ball (happened to be an 11MM socket in my case) I then Lubed the socket good with RCBS case Lube, and lubed the inside of the 50 BMG Case neck, opened up the Jaws of my vise and slowly resized the 50 BMG Case neck by squeezing the lubed 11MM Socket in to it. I then knocked the primer out, and drilled the flash hole out to except a piece of coat hanger that i fashioned a loop on one end, slid the other end (straight end) through the inside of the case and out the drilled out flash hole, i cut it to length and fashioned another loop so it would stay put (floating through the enlarged flashhole) NOW when your bullets have sat in the Lube overnight take your modified BMG case and slide it over a bullet, this will push the coat hanger piece up as you push down over the bullet (as long as you thought and didn't cut it to short) once over the bullet and pushed to the bottom of the pan slightly tip the case to one side, this will break the bullet free and allow you to lift it out, push the coat hanger end with your thumb and it will push the bullet out. And now you have a PERFECTLY lubed bullet, and a pretty darn cool .54 Cal cookie cutter to boot! Remember me telling you I would make ya one? And you just turned your nose up at it? Ya snooze ya loose buddy! LOL

Revision, It's been awhile since i made mine but got to thinking about it? I knocked the dead primer out of the .50 BMG case FIRST, then drilled the flashole out and made my coat hanger wire to fit as described above, this gives you a way to knock the socket out. Plenty of Lube, or grease is your friend here.

Thats not so! I had a lot of info spilling over that night HA! I bought my steam cleaner, a powder scale and pre measure powder tubes. I'm doing the work...I'm not a slacker.LOL Go ahead make me one and I will gladly put it to good use.

Harleysboss said:
Thats not so! I had a lot of info spilling over that night HA! I bought my steam cleaner, a powder scale and pre measure powder tubes. I'm doing the work...I'm not a slacker.LOL Go ahead make me one and I will gladly put it to good use.

LOL! I couldn't resist jabbing at ya! I have a couple of extra BMG Cases, i will make you a .54 Cookie cutter and send it to ya.

I if you guys would like to try some SPG type black powder Lube I have several sticks you could have to try. It was the LARS lube SPG type. I would be happy to send you some.

Idaholewis said:
Ron, I wonder if your Pyrodex P Powder leaves less crud? And, Or is a softer fouling?

Pyrodex P leaves a hard crud ring too. I know BPCR shooters will blow down the barrel to provide moisture to keep the fouling softer. I wonder if humidity during the shoot would affect?
The Pyrodex feel like it has a lot of crap down there when I feel the crud ring but I have not shot real black to compare them.

I wish I was closer when you guys got together to shoot that would have been a BUNCH of fun.
We need to put together a Quigly type shoot just for muzzleloaders. That would be a Bunch of fun.

idahoron said:
Idaholewis said:
Ron, I wonder if your Pyrodex P Powder leaves less crud? And, Or is a softer fouling?

Pyrodex P leaves a hard crud ring too. I know BPCR shooters will blow down the barrel to provide moisture to keep the fouling softer. I wonder if humidity during the shoot would affect?
The Pyrodex feel like it has a lot of crap down there when I feel the crud ring but I have not shot real black to compare them.

Ron, I need to pick up a Can of Pyrodex P one day and compare them, I would like to know how it shoots in my rifles in case i need to use a substitute sometime. Isn't The Pryodex lighter in weight than Volume? I will make sure i check volume to weight, and not just go with it. I like to pre weigh my charges in weight grains the night before i shoot and put them in little vials. I like to try and take out as much potential error as possible when testing/Group shooting, Volume measures work great to get you 'field close' but i like to get more precise so i pre weigh in Grain, i have always felt it to be a better/more precise way to go?

idahoron said:
I wish I was closer when you guys got together to shoot that would have been a BUNCH of fun.
We need to put together a Quigly type shoot just for muzzleloaders. That would be a Bunch of fun.

I hear ya brother! Brett and i both talked about how much fun that would be! We might get the fire dept called on us? LOL

Idaholewis said:
idahoron said:
Idaholewis said:
Isn't The Pryodex lighter in weight than Volume? I will make sure i check volume to weight, and not just go with it. I like to pre weigh my charges in weight grains the night before i shoot and put them in little vials. I like to try and take out as much potential error as possible when testing/Group shooting, Volume measures work great to get you 'field close' but i like to get more precise so i pre weigh in Grain, i have always felt it to be a better/more precise way to go?

80 grains in my measure weighs an actual 64.5 grains on a scale. It is actually a pinch heavier than black.

idahoron said:

80 grains in my measure weighs an actual 64.5 grains on a scale. It is actually a pinch heavier than black.

I NEVER seem to get that part right and i know it's IMPORTANT to know! I don't shoot the stuff so ive never hands on messed with it, I have read several times to NOT make the mistake and measure improperly with Pyrodex that there is a noticeable difference. An example of my Swiss 2F powder, 70 Volume is around 75 Weight Grains. I think the Safest and best thing to do is set your volume measure at your desired setting and check several charges for yourself on a Beam scale, get a good average of what Volume Grains weigh in Weight grains per selected powder, then you know for absolute sure. Ron, I wonder how much change there is, if any? From powder lot to powder lot, i have never checked it with this Swiss? Moisture content from lot to lot, possibly heavier denser charcoal, or lighter? It would be interesting to check a few different cans/lot numbers

idahoron said:
I if you guys would like to try some SPG type black powder Lube I have several sticks you could have to try. It was the LARS lube SPG type. I would be happy to send you some.

This stuff is SPENDY lube Ron! I looked at the SPG stuff at Buffalo arms and i remember it being 20 or so a pound. Is the SPG soft enough to work by hand? Wonder how well it would hold up in hot weather? I think I'm gonna get a tin of Mink oil lube From TOTW for freezing weather, that stuff is designed for EXTREME cold! I have a homemade recipe that i got from Dave (Cayuga here) it is Dave's version of Juniors bullet lube, i have a BUNCH of it made up to use, i just panned lubed a few last night.

Brett, This cookie cutter for pan lubing i fashioned for .54 Cal works pretty darn slick!

Idaholewis said:
Ron, I wonder how much change there is, if any? From powder lot to powder lot, i have never checked it with this Swiss? Moisture content from lot to lot, possibly heavier denser charcoal, or lighter? It would be interesting to check a few different cans/lot numbers

I don't know if you remember but I had a can that I thought was hot. It was shooting several inches high. I took the can out with the chrono and I had a flask of old powder left over. They were very close like within 3 fps or less I don't remember off hand.
As you know I mostly shoot steel so I might not always catch a lot that was not the same like a guy shooting paper would. When that one came to light I was shooting noticeably higher. But the Chrono said it was right there.

Idaholewis said:
idahoron said:

This stuff is SPENDY lube Ron! I looked at the SPG stuff at Buffalo arms and i remember it being 20 or so a pound. Is the SPG soft enough to work by hand? Wonder how well it would hold up in hot weather? I think I'm gonna get a tin of Mink oil lube From TOTW for freezing weather, that stuff is designed for EXTREME cold! I have a homemade recipe that i got from Dave (Cayuga here) it is Dave's version of Juniors bullet lube, i have a BUNCH of it made up to use, i just panned lubed a few last night.

This is the stuff I have. It was supposed to be an exact copy of SPG. If you would like a couple sticks I would be happy to send you some.

5ln6mHb.jpg

Ron, That stuff looks good! Is it fairly soft and pliable? I don't really need anything more than I've got, I'd feel bad to take it with all the stuff i have here on hand. I have been using some Gatfeo No.1 lube that a friend in Utah sent me, And I have a ton of ingredients to make bullet lube, I got a SUPER deal on a bunch of Bees Wax from a Bee keeper here, i might have a lifetime suppy? LOL! I have a lube Recipe from Cayuga (Dave) here that seems to work really well, i have 5 pounds or so of it made up now. It is Dave's version of JR lube, instead of using Lard he uses Castor oil in its place. Bore butter is the worst stuff i have ever seen, it is runny garbage in the hot months, and harder than a rock in the cold, i have a few tubes of it that will likely never get used by me. I even have a T shaped thing that screws on to a Bore butter tube for lubing .54 Maxi balls, but what good is it with bore butter being so inconsistent.

It is pretty stiff stuff. It is a little tacky but doesn't melt on a hot day.
Lars doesn't make it any more. I am not sure why but the last time I looked for it I could not find it.

idahoron said:
It is pretty stiff stuff. It is a little tacky but doesn't melt on a hot day.
Lars doesn't make it any more. I am not sure why but the last time I looked for it I could not find it.

I just looked them up and I don't see that specific lube either? That might be one they only do on a customer need basis? That guy use to live here in Idaho

I was sitting here last night thinking about my paper patched bullets, one thing i had always wanted to try but i never did was to wrap my paper on my bullets and load WITHOUT running them through a finish sizer (my Custom molds drop the bullet about 6-7 thou under bore) with my bullets this should work good? And if so it should tighten them up in the barrel? The only reason i use a sizer die is to 'iron' the paper a bit, but by doing so i am also reducing the size 1-2 thou by tightening the paper up (my .45 sizer is .449) Again, I am not sizing the lead bullet itself as i had my molds built to drop the bullets undersize so i would be wrapping up to bore, and over 1-2 thou, So i came up with the idea last night to Revisit my Custom .45 Cal Bullet, wrap it with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper (which ads 8 thou to the overal diameter with the specific paper that i used) and load it without 'ironing' the paper, it worked REALLY well! They loaded very noticeably tighter, i turned the barrel up and dropped it muzzle down on the doubled rubber bottomed door pad, i let it free fall about 1 to 1-1/2 ft and bounce off the muzzle, i checked the bullet with my Range Rod and it hadn't budged! New confidence was built right there! I loaded up and headed to the Sand pit.

This .45 is my favorite rifle, if you hold on and do your part it will hammer them in there! My cold bore was left about 2-1/2 to 3 inches and a little low, but at least it was on target! Before loading i had popped 2 caps off against a patched jag, then 2 more caps straight through (wish i had popped a few more off) Here is my cold bore shot

Here is the 5 shot group that followed, there are 2 cutting eachother in the black, this was right on 70 yards

My rifle and components

Here is the bullet, i went with a really WIDE MEPLAT on this one, i wanted a sledgehammer of a bullet. This was built off a .460 S&W Bullet design, i made a few changes. My rifle shoots this bullet really well

Weight

I think this was my very first outing with this bullet, this was just 50 yards, but I'll take it!

Latest posts

Back