Paper Patched bullets for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've came up with another test idea for my BIG paper patched bullet in .54 Cal, It is 1 of The bullets i had made from the Lee S&W 500 bullet. My Lyman GP Hunter 1:32 54 Cal is my largest bore, which obviously is my loosest fit. I just paper patched up 4 bullets to shoot a Group with, i measured out a perfect strip of onion skin paper at .500, then cut 2" pieces from that strip, My plan is to lay one of these 2" strips across the bore as close as i can by eye and then push the Paper Patched bullet in, this will ad 4 Thousands (2 thou on each side of the bullet) It might throw it out of balance? But What the heck, I'm gonna give it a try here in a few mins and see what happens?

Here is my idea except just 1 strip of paper to an already paper patched bullet, it might tear the paper to shreds? If it works it should tighten the bullet up good. I shall soon find out

Worked like a dream! They loaded GOOD N TIGHT, no way they will back off the charge loaded like this, i swabbed between shots just like normal, layed the strip of paper across the muzzle centering it by eye, and pushed the already paper patched bullets in, the strip formed up along side the patched bullet perfectly as i pushed it in, the bullets loaded no problem, but with quite noticeable more force all the way to the charge, Accuracy was not affected in the least. I am a happy camper! This just restored Confidence in my Paper Patched bullets for hunting. I will do a bit more testing, but i am confident in this system now

This is the bullet i used, i paper patched it with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper and NO SIZING, then placed the 2" .500 wide strip over the muzzle centering it by eye, then pushed the bullet in

The 4 shot Group was really good, it measured "1.140

Here is the paper jacket i found, i seen all 4 of them within 20 feet of the barrel

And the 4 shot Group

Harleysboss said:
That worked like a charm! I wasnt so sure when you mentioned it to me. Proof is in the target.

Harleysboss, You gotta try this if you have a loose fitting PP bullet! Or if you just want a tighter fitting bullet period. For the strips, i used a piece from the new stuff that you gave me, that stuff is REALLY slick compared to this old vintage Cockle texture paper, not sure it would have mattered which paper i used? All i can say is it worked AWESOME in this Lyman Plains Rifle! This particular rifle has really deep sharp riflings, about like looking down a row of alligator teeth. I will be trying this in my 45, and 50 Green Mountain barrels as well.

I would have trusted my PP bullet in this Lyman rifle today without any hesitation, after loading the clean bore and feeling the steady resistance all the way down, I have no doubt you could have bounced around on a 4wheeler all day with the barrel down and never had to worry about it, This little trick worked perfect for this particular rifle! Why wouldn't it work for others? I am confident it will work on any rifle, but i would definitely check shoot it first and make sure nothing changed

I'm thinking that the tight fit is the key to the cold/clean bore shot as well. Maybe that was part of the issues with the missed shots (to loose fitting bullet?) Maybe.

Harleysboss said:
I'm thinking that the tight fit is the key to the cold/clean bore shot as well. Maybe that was part of the issues with the missed shots (to loose fitting bullet?) Maybe.

This could be? But my bet is stil on the efficiency of the steam cleaner totally removing EVERYTHING from the Snail/Patented breech, i could be wrong? I will be testing this before the week is out, According to my email this evening from Accurate molds i should be getting my new .45 Mold in the next couple of days, the last outing with my .45 i cleaned it the old way in a bucket of warm tap water, NO STEAM CLEANER. I dried the barrel out really good and left it dry, so it is ready to be loaded. The difference here will be this new Greased bullet should be a REALLY SNUG fit, where the paper patched Bullets have very little resistance, up until this morning when i tested the strip of paper which added considerable resistance.

It's amazing how much testing goes in to this stuff! Usually to be lost down the road, then rediscovered by someone else that put the time in to learning it.

Lewis,
As you said it's amazing what is lost over time. Your new method of patching has been around for years but most have never heard or seen it. That's what so nice about these forums that we can "rediscover" some old school technology. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis,
As you said it's amazing what is lost over time. Your new method of patching has been around for years but most have never heard or seen it. That's what so nice about these forums that we can "rediscover" some old school technology. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

If it weren't for the handful of you honest good guys on these places i would of quit messing with these forums, the CB Forum deal burned me out when they chose to coddle a known Liar, And a crooked kid working a Scam i warned of but in the end i was the one that got chewed on for exposing him? And lastly an Intentional Crap stirrer that i just recently got to admit on another open forum that he intentionally stirs the pot by tossing a stick in the fire and leaves, he returns to check it and if everything has died down he tosses another stick in (this guy has his own forum for crying out loud! Or is at least a big wig Mod of it) Why in the hell keep these kind of people??? Wouldn't a forum be SOOOOOO much better without them? My experience has been The Honest guy gets Hammered, and banned, and they keep the CULLS? I am 100% good with it now, I wouldn't go back to them if i were asked to.

It would have been a WHOLE bunch easier to just do my own thing, log down my own results, not shared anything, and simply ignored these places, but i really do enjoy helping others, and learning from others, and just plain visiting with the few of you good guys, ive met some darn good people on here! But MAN O MAN do you have to wade through the Garbage to find the good. I guess that's the internet?

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis,

I remember reading this in Ned Robert's book "The Caplock Rifle ".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoron has a good video out titled 'Torture Test' after watching Ron be able to reload over and over without Swabbing between shots it inspired me to get a can of Pyrodex P powder to try out with my Paper Patched bullets, i can tell you now the fouling between Pyrodex P and Real Black powder is ABSOLUTELY night and day different (Yes they are both nasty, but in very different ways) As i stated in the beginning of this thread The fouling with Swiss Real Black powder is a dry rough fouling and will strip the paper off your bullet on a reload WITHOUT swabbing. Pyrodex P leaves a nasty fouling as well but is MUCH MUCH softer, In one of Ron's videos he actually describes the fouling as a Goo, Tar like fouling, he is DEAD ON. This softer 'Goo' like fouling is the reason Ron is able to Reload over n over without swabbing between shots and stripping the paper off his bullets.

I was recently watching a YouTube Video of a guy Squirrel hunting with a .32 Cal and no swabbing between shots, one of the comments was a guy asking if he swabbed between shots? Granted this is a .32 Cal and likely a patched roundball? But this guys answer describes what i have been saying all along in this thread, Real Black powder leaves a ROUGHER fouling and will tear your paper up on a reload

Moral of the story, If you plan to hunt with paper patched bullets and don't want to fear stripping your papers on a reload, shoot Pyrodex P Powder!! Or if you choose to stick with Real Black powder I HIGHLY advise that you carry a small container of patches pre soaked in Alcohol so you can quickly Swab before reloading, otherwise you will likely strip the paper from your bullet on a reload

Latest posts

Back