Big Balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Couldn't resist the subject line, Hey its fitting!! I stopped in at October Country Muzzleloading today to get a solid brass Range Rod, i took a picture of this round ball display, i think he told me the 72 wasn't right, its a 69 maybe? I don't remember for sure? The main 2 that grabbed my attention were the 8 and 4 Bore, That 4 Bore is 1,457 Grains! He said they use 400 Grains of 2F powder in the rifle they built, Can you imagine that? LOL, GEEZ! Look at the little bitty .54 Cal on the other end!

I'd think recoil would be a bit on the stout side as well :shock: 400 Grains of 2F behind a chunk of lead weighing 1,457 Grains would be a sight to see, from a distance that is! LOL, At first i thought NO WAY would it burn that amount of powder? But then i got to thinking about the bore size being right at 1" it is very plausible! The owner is the one that told me, and he built the rifle so im guessing he knows what he's talking about?

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Any idea how heavy the rifle was? It must've been a beast.

I dont know? I didn't even think to ask, next time i get in there i will ask the guy. They have only built a few of them, they cost as much as a very nice vehicle! WAAAAAY out of my league!!

I have a .69 October County Great American Sporting Rifle and a .72 Pedersoli Kodiak double rifle. They pound deer mightily, it's great fun. I use Olde Enysford 1.5F powder, 160gr. in the GASR and 130gr. in the Kodiak.

a friend of mine was carryin' a 4-bore underhammer around at the gun show a while back. the mould looked like it was to cast ping-pong balls. seemed like the gun weighed 15 or 20 pounds. looked like the barrel was close to two inches across the flats.

Latest posts

Back