TC Hawken conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Reaction score
This project all started with me watching Idahoron's videos on paper patching(Thanks Ron).I needed a barrel so I called on Robert a Hoyt who's done some barrel relining for me in the past. He made me a .451 bore,1-22" twist,30",15/16" steel barrel for my TC Hawken. The rifle shot fairly well this first time out shooting paper patched bullets but I wasn't impressed with the recoil of heavy conicals and a brass butt plate. So I decided to draw up a pattern for a Gibbs style rifle using the Hawken components. I cut the stock out of a billet of black walnut that I cut about 30 years ago in my hometown. I built in a 3/16"cast off to please me and lengthened the fore stock to accommodate the longer barrel using the original under rib and pipes. The addition of a Hogue recoil pad was a must, and I'm no wimp. I cut off the set trigger to form into the pistol grip area better and forged a new trigger guard from steel. A black hard plastic grip cap was made to finish that off nicely, and a traditional linseed oil finish was applied.
Back out to the range I went and shot up a whole load of different old bullets I had for a while not really worried about accuracy at this point but mechanics, fit, recoil and I must say I'm more than pleased with all. It amazed me how little this rifle kicks because it fits me so well. My best group of the day( not that it matters now) was Daves No excuses .451, 460 grains, pushed by a wool felt wad and 80 grains Pyredox P. Grouping at about 1.5"@ 50 yards.
I know a lot of you guys on here could give me a lot of pointers on gunbuilding as this is pretty new to me but much enjoyable. This has been a blast.
Magnum

That is a REALLY NICE looking Rifle!! What a cool build!!!! I would be lost without my set trigger tho, i would have to fashion a trigger guard that would allow me to keep my set. You did a HECK of a nice job on that!!

You did well.
Wide butt, conicals, you now have a rifle that is more along that lines of a British Sporting Rifle.

That's a nice looking muzzleloader, great job. If you decide to cast your own bullets the Lyman Volunteer mold would be an excellent candidate for that 1- 22" twist.

Saxtonyoung, that's what Robert Hoyt and I discussed in other words. I'd like to try those bullets. I just need some range time which is hard to come by.

Well I took my new rifle out to make some smoke yesterday. I was pleased with the loads following Idahoron's lead on paper patching. I was shooting off a benchrest.

I hope the image comes out!

That would be just fine for me. :yeah: Nice Shooting!

Damn that is a beautiful rifle. Looks like it shoots awesome!! Glad I could be of some help.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji457]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back