Big bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmfdred56

Reaction score
In another thread some of us expressed a want for a big bore sidelock, i started doing some looking again and found a semi local builder here in colorado that builds 8 and 10 bore fairly reasonable considering what others charge hes in the 4k area on his rifles and they are purty! Its James Gefroh out of Fort Collins CO.

I had contacted him some years back regarding a larger bore rocklock. It is my understanding that he doesn't do any of the building, just some embellishing and finishing.

Fmfdred56 said:
In another thread some of us expressed a want for a big bore sidelock, i started doing some looking again and found a semi local builder here in colorado that builds 8 and 10 bore fairly reasonable considering what others charge hes in the 4k area on his rifles and they are purty! Its James Gefroh out of Fort Collins CO.

I saw a nice original English 58cal stalking rifle at Friendship this past weekend for $4k.

Found a couple of his guns on gunbroker an 8 bore and a 10 bore a couple weeks ago, not sure if he was the actuall builder i guess i assumed. Either way i want one lol

I have an original Damascus barrel (27"), breech plug and newer tang I bought years ago at Friendship. They are nearly impossible to find and not cheap..
If anyone's interested in a project, PM me.

Both ramrod thimbles are missing, but the rib is intact and solid.

Attachments

• 10b dam muz.JPG
    10b dam muz.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 215
  • 10b OAL.JPG
    10b OAL.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 215

Attachments

• 10b breech.JPG
    10b breech.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 10b Dam bore.JPG
    10b Dam bore.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 10b Dam f site.JPG
    10b Dam f site.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 215
If one's fortunate, a pattern like this might be under the patina - this was.

Attachments

• Daw NEW muz.jpg
    Daw NEW muz.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 210
Harleysboss said:
I just saw a sorta big bore rifle on gunbroker. 69 cal October Country game rifle. Nice looking rifle.

I stop in October Country now and then, They do make nice rifles but man are they spendy! I don't think they have any guns made up to look at, at least I haven't seen any the times I've been in there? Its on a custom order basis the way I understand it? They are similar to Buffalo Arms in the sense of being an internet ran business, they do sell to the public tho as I've bought several odds n ends from them. I much prefer Buffalo Arms tho for my needs, October Country seems to cater more toward traditional stuff, lots of leather making etc. I asked the price of a little .32 Cal Squirrel rifle and quickly decided it wasn't for me! I asked about the Big 4 and 8 Bores just for kicks, you could buy a really nice near new pickup truck for about the same price

Harleysboss said:
I just saw a sorta big bore rifle on gunbroker. 69 cal October Country game rifle. Nice looking rifle.

Nice looking, but they stopped short of making it incredible - like many do...
IMO -
1- They should have color case hardened the tang, breech plug, lock plate and hammer (these are all wear parts).
2- With a nice piece of wood, a little more articulation around the pistol grip and checkering at the wrist would really set if off..
All this is probably another $400 and it would easily sell with the extra cost and make the extra effort worth it.

Back