New to Muzzleloaders and need some basic knowledge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirFishesALot

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am new to hunting with a muzzleloader. I recently inherited an old thompson center hawken. It could use a new nipple and some new sights. Any idea what size nipple I need and what truglo or similar sights would fit it?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. I'm more of an inline guy but we have plenty of experts for what you need. Just wanted to welcome you to our site.

SirFishesALot said:
Hey y'all,

I am new to hunting with a muzzleloader. I recently inherited an old thompson center hawken. It could use a new nipple and some new sights. Any idea what size nipple I need and what truglo or similar sights would fit it?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!! I highly advise Treso/Ampco nipples they are tough! You would need a 1/4-28 for your TC Hawken, As far as sights go you have quite a few options, Williams makes several good ones, You could go with a few different peep sights from 2 different Tang mounted styles to a Skinner Barrel mounted peep, 15/16" for your Hawken (Peep sight wise I highly advise the Williams FP Hawken with target knobs-TK and Gib lock, second would be the Lyman 57SML) You have MANY MANY different options in front sights, from faux beads of different colors such as brass, white, red, etc. etc. to low light fibre optics. I will warn that They are not all a direct fit, be prepared to do a bit of tinkering, i have swapped out sights on MANY TC Muzzleloaders and rarely is it a plug and play deal, I usually end up having to make some modifications to get the fit right, not a big deal, just thought I'd warn ya.

newer T/C's used Tru-glo type fiber optic sights and you could likely find a set on evil-bay or gunbroker.

the later Green Mountain drop-in barrels also had fiber-optic sights made by Williams.

and since the average side-lock shooter would rather not have fiber-optics you might even find somebody willin' to swap with ya.

bubba.50 said:
newer T/C's used Tru-glo type fiber optic sights and you could likely find a set on evil-bay or gunbroker.

the later Green Mountain drop-in barrels also had fiber-optic sights made by Williams.

and since the average side-lock shooter would rather not have fiber-optics you might even find somebody willin' to swap with ya.

bubba.50 is correct, the last 2 new old stock Green Mountain LRH barrels i acquired had nice Williams fiber optic sights on them, mine were the 1" barrels so would have fit a 1" TC barrel perfectly. Is your Hawken a .50 or .54 Cal? The Hawken .54 Cal is a 1" barrel, the .50 is 15/16" I believe the Renegade is 1" across the flats for both the .50 and .54, i know it is for the .54

bubba.50, What is the skinny on the TC barrel diameters? Was it just the Hawken that they made the 15/16" barrels? What about the .45 Cal?

45 & 50 cal Hawkens, 45 & 50 cal White Mountain Carbines, and Pennsylvania Hunters had 15/16ths barrels and maybe a couple offerin's from the Fox Ridge Outfitters Custom shop.

54 & 58 cal Hawkens, 54 cal White Mountain Carbines, all calibers of Renegades, and the Buckeye Hunter Carbine had 1 inch barrels.

bubba.50 said:
45 & 50 cal Hawkens, 45 & 50 cal White Mountain Carbines, and Pennsylvania Hunters had 15/16ths barrels and maybe a couple offerin's from the Fox Ridge Outfitters Custom shop.

54 & 58 cal Hawkens, 54 cal White Mountain Carbines, all calibers of Renegades, and the Buckeye Hunter Carbine had 1 inch barrels.

Thanks bubba.50, Can always count on you for knowledgeable answers regarding TC rifles!!

Latest posts

Back