Bullshop bullets sized and patched

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Here is the Bullshop similar bullet that i had Accurate Molds build from an original Bullshop bullet that i sent him, They are REALLY close to the same as the Original. i ran these through my .492 sizer and then Paper patched them, I think they will shoot good? One way to find out! Sabotloader, i would like to send these to you to try, put a good card Wad on top of that T7 powder and fire these things up!!

Here they are after i sized them

And here they are Patched with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper, these won't need any sizing, just load and shoot them. You will likely need to Swab between shots, I would for accuracy regardless of how well they load.

And here are 6 of the bullets i had made from the Lee S&W 500 bullet, Try these out as well, see if you can tell any difference between them? These don't need sized either, just load and shoot

Lewis, you have definitely added some nice bullet molds to the Accurate catalog.

glockky said:
Got my 51-450M in yesterday

Glockky, Thats a GOOD one!! That Bullshop Bullet is no doubt the best Grease Groove bullet I've ever shot. Did you change the band diameters any? How did the ones i sent you load? They definitely load TIGHT in my Stainless .50 Cal, especially with a little Hardness in the lead, But that's exactly what i wanted for a Hunting bullet. My bullet band diameters are spot on with the original Bullshop bullet.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis, you have definitely added some nice bullet molds to the Accurate catalog.

Thank you Sax, I sure think so! Quite a bit of thought went in to a few of those designs. I only have 1 Accurate mold that i regret having made, Thats back when i took advice from that Johnson1942 (Strong Eagle) character about bullet length to twist ratio, i ended up having a 2 Cavity Steel mold made for .54 Cal 1:32 Fast Twist for Paper Patching, he swore i needed a bullet that measured 1.2" Long to stabilize, so i had 1 cavity of the 2 made that way. The bullet actually shoots fine if you can sit back and absorb that kind of recoil? The funny part is my Lyman Plains .54 Cal bullet which happens to be the Shortest bullet i Own at .85 Long, will outshoot that big long bullet ANY day in both of my fast twist .54s, You live and learn.

Idaholewis said:
Saxtonyoung said:

Thank you Sax, I sure think so! Quite a bit of thought went in to a few of those designs. I only have 1 Accurate mold that i regret having made, Thats back when i took advice from that Johnson1942 (Strong Eagle) character about bullet length to twist ratio, i ended up having a 2 Cavity Steel mold made for .54 Cal 1:32 Fast Twist for Paper Patching, he swore i needed a bullet that measured 1.2" Long to stabilize, so i had 1 cavity of the 2 made that way. The bullet actually shoots fine if you can sit back and absorb that kind of recoil? The funny part is my Lyman Plains .54 Cal bullet which happens to be the Shortest bullet i Own at .85 Long, will outshoot that big long bullet ANY day in both of my fast twist .54s, You live and learn.

If i had it to do over again and I REALLY thought it was necessary to have a bullet that long, i would have it cut FULL of the deepest Grease grooves that Tom could cut to lighten the bullet up as much as possible, instead of going with a big sold block of lead like i did which weighs in at 650 Grains. I have good high quality Leather Lace up Recoil pads with Gel inserts on both of my fast twist 54s, but that big 650 Grain bullet in front of 90-100 Grains of Swiss 2F eats right through them! Not a fun bullet to shoot, Plus You need a dump truck full of lead backed up to your lead pot to feed a mold like that.

Idaholewis said:
glockky said:

Glockky, Thats a GOOD one!! That Bullshop Bullet is no doubt the best Grease Groove bullet I've ever shot. Did you change the band diameters any? How did the ones i sent you load? They definitely load TIGHT in my Stainless .50 Cal, especially with a little Hardness in the lead, But that's exactly what i wanted for a Hunting bullet. My bullet band diameters are spot on with the original Bullshop bullet.

I used the same band diameters as the bullets you sent me which were the same as Toms drawing. They loaded stiff but I didn't have any trouble seating them.

I plan to cast them out of near pure lead. I have a couple bags of dental foil lead and some roof flashing.

glockky said:
Idaholewis said:
glockky said:

I used the same band diameters as the bullets you sent me which were the same as Toms drawing. They loaded stiff but I didn't have any trouble seating them.

I plan to cast them out of near pure lead. I have a couple bags of dental foil lead and some roof flashing.

Pure lead will be a pleasure to load, they will load good n tight and definitely stay put. The ones i sent you had some hardness to them at about 8BHN, I tried soft pure lead and while they definitely loaded easier my Stainless rifle didn't like them, without sounding like a horrible broken record this particular Stainless barrel of mine has proven over n over that it DOESN'T like pure lead. My Stainless rifle shoots the same batch of bullets i sent you VERY well.

Lewis,

Have you tried that long 54 Caliber bullet in your Green Mountain Barrel with 1-28" twist ? Might stabilize with lighter charges of powder.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis,

Have you tried that long 54 Caliber bullet in your Green Mountain Barrel with 1-28" twist ? Might stabilize with lighter charges of powder.[

Sax, No I haven't tried it. I personally feel it's a waste of lead. I am one that believes in speed vs Weight TO A DEGREE. Here is an Example of what i mean, I have shot Archery since i was 14-15 years old to current (i am 45 years old) I have built my own arrows, worked on bows for myself and others all through the years to current. Through all of my testing over the years i have found that out of the SAME BOW an Arrow weighing 375-400 Grains and traveling at say 300fps will EASILY out penetrate a BIG HEAVY slow arrow, Easton makes an arrow called a Full metal jacket and it weighs a ton, Lets say 600 Grains and traveling at 200-220 fps From the SAME bow, The faster 375-400 Grain arrow will ABSOLUTELY smoke the big heavy arrow EVERY TIME, obviously in speed, but Also in Penetration! Kinetic energy freaks will argue this, but i have done it MANY MANY times to prove it.

These Old sidelock Muzzleloaders with BIG heavy Conicals Over 450 Grains are DARN lucky to break much over 1400fps without breaking stuff, my .50 Cal with my 460 Grain PP bullet is traveling right at 1425fps and that is a STOUT STOUT load of Swiss Powder, I personally would NOT push this rifle any harder in fear of cracking my stock, etc. In my opinion that big heavy 650 Grain bullet would be darn lucky to break much over 1100 FPS, Now lets do the Math on which is actually hitting harder (Ft lbs of muzzle energy) The 650 Grain bullet at 1100fps is 1,747 ft lbs of muzzle energy, My 460 Grain bullet at 1425fps is generating 2,074 ft lbs of Muzzle energy, plus my 460 Grain bullet will carry and retain energy FAR beyond the bigger heavier bullet

If i were shooting under 100 yards, at BIG critters such as Elk, and Moose the big 650 Grain bullet would be fine (but what am I actually gaining over my 460 Grain Bullet? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!) I personally like to be able to reach out to 200 and maybe even 300 yards, my 460 Grain Bullets are a far better choice for my application.

Now in REALLY big rifles such as the .338 Lapua, .375 Ultra Magnum, .460 Weatherby etc. etc. With the extreme being the .50 BMG, The 375 and 408 CheyTac with BIG HEAVY bullets traveling 2500 plus FPS there is a HUGE HUGE difference, I call these Magnums that make a difference!! I just dont see any advantage in these old sidelock Muzzleloaders at the Low velocities they generate? All i see is Disadvantages. There also comes a point where Recoil takes over shootability (Accuracy) my .50 Cal loaded above is about the Max that i personally can Accurately shoot, And I don't like to shoot it a bunch! I really prefer my .45 Cal with a 400 Grain bullet!

I totally agree that such a large bullet is not need for the type of game we are after in North America just thought you might want to utilize it. Who knows maybe you will be hunting Elephant in Africa someday.

I too am a fan of the 45 caliber with heavier bullets. A friend of mine took a very respectable Elk with a .451 White Muzzleloader he received from Doc White about 12-15 years ago.

To go a little further with smaller calibers , my 40 caliber with a 1-16" twist that I had made as a Drop in for a Renegade shoots a custom 360 grain bullet that will do just about everything I would every need it to do. The downside is that a 40 caliber isn't legal everywhere but it is here in Michigan and we not only have a Whitetail season but tags are available every year for Black Bear and Elk.

Muzzleloaders are just plain fun no matter what variety you play with. Although I don't shoot much with round balls anymore, my first 2 deer were take with a inexpensive 50 caliber CVA Frontier.

Saxtonyoung said:
I totally agree that such a large bullet is not need for the type of game we are after in North America just thought you might want to utilize it. Who knows maybe you will be hunting Elephant in Africa someday.

I too am a fan of the 45 caliber with heavier bullets. A friend of mine took a very respectable Elk with a .451 White Muzzleloader he received from Doc White about 12-15 years ago.

To go a little further with smaller calibers , my 40 caliber with a 1-16" twist that I had made as a Drop in for a Renegade shoots a custom 360 grain bullet that will do just about everything I would every need it to do. The downside is that a 40 caliber isn't legal everywhere but it is here in Michigan and we not only have a Whitetail season but tags are available every year for Black Bear and Elk.

Muzzleloaders are just plain fun no matter what variety you play with. Although I don't shoot much with round balls anymore, my first 2 deer were take with a inexpensive 50 caliber CVA Frontier.

Sax, That .40 Sounds FUN!! REALLY FUN!! Ive been contemplating having 1 built. I love the small calibers, they are just plain enjoyable to shoot! And they are very underestimated by alot of folks, For example my little .36 Senecas shoot a 130 Grain Maxi ball over 1800fps, and recoil is almost none. I enjoy all Muzzleloaders as well, the big BRUTES aren't near as fun to sit and plink with though, Thats just me. The worse thing i ever did MANY years ago was buy a .338 Win mag in a Ruger 77 for hunting coastal blacktail LOL! True story! I bought it on a want to have basis, definitely not a need! That rifle kicked like a Mule, the old 77 Ruger stocks were notorious for it. I sold that rifle! But not before i ended up with a REALLY bad flinching habit, to the point i had to go backward, WAY backward to a .22 rifle and retrain myself to shoot again.

Now days i stick to the fun to shoot smaller calibers, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7MM-08, and a .308 Win, I don't even own a Magnum anymore, and see absolutely no need to. I hunt elk and don't feel the least bit undergunned with any of the 3 Calibers above, i shot my Cow Elk last year with my little 6.5 Creedmoor at 325 yards I believe it was? I broke the bottom of her back and she fell in her tracks. My shot was to high, i was actually aiming for her lungs (I got lucky I didn't hit the void between the bottom of the backbone and the top of the lungs) The 7-08 or the 308 would be a better choice for Elk, but with a proper constructed bullet, and precise shot placement the little Creed will do anything from mice, to moose!

glockky said:
Idaholewis said:
glockky said:

The dental lead is hard lead. It is the equivalent to wheel weight. I have not tested much flashing but I have been given all of the dental lead from my dentist for the last 10 years. It was all hard.

The bullet seem to be pretty soft. I used about 10 pounds of dental lead and about 30 pounds of lead pipe and flashing in the pot.

Ttr10wP.jpg

glockky said:
The bullet seem to be pretty soft. I used about 10 pounds of dental lead and about 30 pounds of lead pipe and flashing in the pot.

Good mold fill out, nice n sharp! Those things look GOOD!

Back