Rice barrel 'Drop ins' Fast Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Just got the Email from Rice, they are doing fast twist 'Drop ins' here is the email I just received.

Good Morning Lewis,

Yes, i am making Drop in barrels for the T/C Hawken and Renegade.

DETAILS:

T/C Hawken will be availabe in 28” & 32”. all calibers that Rice Barrel Co offers up to and including 50 cal.
32 cal 36 cal and 40 cal will have 1-48” twist rifled with deep grooves ( .010 - .012 ) for patched round ball.
45 cal and 50 cal will have a 1-66” twist rifled with deep grooves ( .010 - .012 ) for patched round ball
45 cal FAST TWIST with a 1-18” twist with a groove depth of .0035 - .004 for a bullet. Actual bore dia is .451 ( Made out of 4140 crome moly steel)
45 cal FAST TWIST with a 1-28” twist with a groove depth of .0035 - .004 for a sabot. Actual bore dia is .451 ( Made out of 4140 crome moly steel)
50 cal FAST TWIST with a 1-24” twist with a groove depth of .0035 - .004 for both bullet and sabot. ( made out of 4140 crome molly steel)

T/C Renegade will be offered in the same lengths and calibers as the T/C Hawken with the addition of the 54 cal.
54 cal with a 1-66 twist rifled deep (.010 - .012 ) for patched round ball

I am machining the breech plugs from bar stock in house. As well as the thimbles, underrib & hanger. The barrels come with Williams front and rear sights. The barrel comes in the white. I am not supplying a ramrod or nipple.

PRICE:

T/C drop in with round ball twist……………….. $350
T/C drop in with FAST TWIST ………………… $395

If you have any other question please feel free to ask. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Jason Schneider
Rice Barrel Co.

Lewis, Thanks for the information. Although the price seems high for a barrel in the white I'm glad that someone is offering a Drop in barrel. That 45 with a 1-18" twist and 50 with 1-24" sure look tempting.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis, Thanks for the information. Although the price seems high for a barrel in the white I'm glad that someone is offering a Drop in barrel. That 45 with a 1-18" twist and 50 with 1-24" sure look tempting.

Yea that 45 i will likely have to own! Make a real long ranger!! I would definitely go with a Shavers long range soule tang peep on this build, and his bubble level front globe, and of course his BPCR inserts. I can see this one being FUN FUN!

I wondered when Jason might announce this series of barrels after 52Bore posted that he had some info from Rice concerning this.
The prices are more than Green Mountain originally asked for the drop ins, but those are getting pretty scarce and the prices are going up on them if you can find one too.
A 15/16" across the flats in .45 with a fast twist would be nice and a bit lighter than a 1" barrel. I better start saving some money. :wink:

shguns said:
I wondered when Jason might announce this series of barrels after 52Bore posted that he had some info from Rice concerning this.
The prices are more than Green Mountain originally asked for the drop ins, but those are getting pretty scarce and the prices are going up on them if you can find one too.
A 15/16" across the flats in .45 with a fast twist would be nice and a bit lighter than a 1" barrel. I better start saving some money. :wink:

It's neat that there are a few options for Quicky twist barrels these days for us bullet shooters. It's truly a shame that Green Mountain stopped doing the LRH series, But demand just wasn't there for them to keep going with it, the last Drop in barrels that GM had were .45 Cal LRH barrels and they were dumping them at 75 bucks a piece when i bought mine directly from them a little over a year ago, my only regret is that I didn't buy 2-3 of them, at the time i bought mine they had between 40-50 of them left in stock, No Stainless, just blued.

The Oregon Barrel Co will build a drop in barrel to your desire of length, and twist ratio as well and they are like 350 bucks if I remember right? And if I remember right they want your stock so they can fit the barrel to the channel, tang, etc. I suppose that is a good policy to make sure everything is right, not everyone has the skills to tinker with fit. I have learned with these old sidelocks that a 'Drop in' is rarely a perfect 'drop in' most of mine have needed tinkering with here and there to get them right, i enjoy doing it though! I have no experience with the Oregon barrel Co. but have heard very good things about them, and nothing bad

for that kinda money the very least they could do is blue the things.

bubba.50 said:
for that kinda money the very least they could do is blue the things.

I agree bubba, that's a fairly hefty price tag for a barrel in the white, BUT I'm sure they realize it's getting harder and harder to find a fast twist bullet barrel these days for the Ole sidelocks, the last really nice percussion blued GM 50 LRH i seen on Ebay went for over 300 bucks, And i bet a Stainless .50 LRH would bring closer to 500 bucks. I've see a Stainless .45 LRH listed over n over for 500 with NO takers, the 45s just aren't as popular, At least out here, I'm sure that's due to the .50 Cal Minimum on Elk. The .50 and if they made a .54 Would sell WAY better out West here. I wish Rice would offer a Stainless version Fast Twist

Just curious, Anyone know how much GM was getting for the LRH series back when they first started making them?

Idaholewis said:
45cal said:
have one ,in .45 1-18 put it on a Highwall Winchester , 45-70

How does it shoot?

45cal sent this to me and asked me to post as he's still having issues posting.
5x Winchester scope.

Attachments

• Bob Rice.jpg
    Bob Rice.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 928
Lot of things i would like to do with this new muzzle loader hobby i've got into. MONEY is why a lot of things are on hold.I can still have fun with this.

the price for one of these barrels comes within just a very few dollars of bein' as much as I paid for the last two complete T/C guns I've purchased. and he can't even blue the durn things?

Compare the cost of these barrels to a 45 1-18 or 50 1-24 GM cut rifle blank and the price wont appear as bad. Those barrels are nearly $250 without any machine work.

bubba.50 said:
the price for one of these barrels comes within just a very few dollars of bein' as much as I paid for the last two complete T/C guns I've purchased. and he can't even blue the durn things?

Don't blue it try browning it yourself, way the traditional rifles are . Bottle of it is pretty cheap

45cal said:
bubba.50 said:

Don't blue it try browning it yourself, way the traditional rifles are . Bottle of it is pretty cheap

I have browned barrels & I have blued barrels. that is not my point. to me they're overpriced to begin with. and then on top of that they can't even finish them?

bubba.50 said:
45cal said:
bubba.50 said:

I have browned barrels & I have blued barrels. that is not my point. to me they're overpriced to begin with. and then on top of that they can't even finish them?

just trying to help

Latest posts

Back