T/C Hawken Conical

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a conical that is easy to find and affordable. I have been trying to develop a load using the T/C Maxiball 320. So far accuracy has not been good. I would like to try something else, but don't have a lot of funds to sink into the project.

Lyman or Hornady Great Plains bullets work well for me & usually available somewhere. another option is to spend 20 bucks on a Lee R.E.A.L. bullet mold & pour yer own.

or you could PM Idaholewis or Idahoron for info/tips on how to paper-patch .500 S&W bullets for it.

bubba.50 said:
Lyman or Hornady Great Plains bullets work well for me & usually available somewhere. another option is to spend 20 bucks on a Lee R.E.A.L. bullet mold & pour yer own.

or you could PM Idaholewis or Idahoron for info/tips on how to paper-patch .500 S&W bullets for it.

I agree with bubba.50 on the Lee R.E.A.L. Mold and make your own, If your barrel is a stock 1:48" Twist i had HORRIBLE luck Paper Patching for that twist rate (I plan to resume it next spring/summer) If you can afford to do so I HIGHLY advise the Lyman Plains bullet mold, they are about 70-80 bucks new, but i see them on the used market now and then for 25-40 bucks. As far as a factory bullet that you can just buy i only know of 1 besides the TC Maxi Balls, and that is the Hornady Great Plains bullet, they are a full bore cupped base hollow point conical that will load similar to a Maxi, I have very little experience with these, i bought a box of them back when i first bought my Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32 Fast twist .54 Cal And they shot really good out of it!

I say make your own! Saves you a LOT of money in the long run! Get a 20 dollar Lee R.E.A.L. Mold, or if you can do so go with a Lyman Plains, either of them bullets should work great for you in a stock 1:48" twist bbl

Thank you. Are there any sources to purchase the real bullet? I would like to see how they work before I invest in casting equipment.

rugerbh103 said:
Thank you. Are there any sources to purchase the real bullet? I would like to see how they work before I invest in casting equipment.

Casting equipment doesn't have to be expensive or costly. I used an electric hot plate, a cast iron pot and an open dipper, all of which came from an auction. My Uncle donated a leather apron and a set of welding gloves. I thought it was the greatest upgrade when I bought a Lyman egg style dipper. You might check goodwill or local resale shops for the hot plate and cast iron pot. Just a thought.

I agree with the fellows above, for the money the Lee REAL molds are a good value.

rugerbh103 said:

a feller on gunbroker has some listed for sale. he ran'em through a sizer & lubed them to use in his White but, they should work well enough to tell if ya like them or not. 120 for I think 35 or 45 bucks with free shippin'. I've got it in my 'saved searches' if yer interested give me yer email & I'll forward the ad to ya.

Back