Green Mountain ‘Sharp shooter’ 1:24 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these Green Mountain ‘Sharpshooter’ 1:24 Twist Barrels? or know much about them? I read an Article from Bridges quite sometime back on one of these and found it rather interesting, i had forgotten about it but recently stumbled in to it again. Here is that Article

http://www.namlhunt.com/conicalml1.html

Here is a piece i copied directly from Green Mountain on this barrel

2/23/12
Green Mountain

Whether the projectile is wrapped in a lubed patch, plastic sabot, fired from a rimfire or centerfire case, the barrel is the major part of determining a reliable point of impact. Green Mountain barrels have helped competitors and hunters alike ensure a proper impact for over 35 years. Whether your powder is ignited by a sparking flint or firing pin strike the goal is the same, hitting your target. Creating a firearm to suit your taste and needs is easier when you start with a Green Mountain barrel.

For factory muzzleloader shooters, we manufacture a line of drop-in replacement barrels we call the Interchangeable Barrel System (IBS). These barrels come complete with sights, breech plug, ramrod, and guides. Designed to fit Thompson Center Hawken and Renegade rifles, they are available in round ball or sabot configurations. Choose from a 21” LRH carbine for sabot to a round ball barrel up to 38”. Flint ignition is available in .50 caliber for both rifles. A unique approach to long-range predator shooting can be had with the Sharpshooter barrel. The Sharpshooter is a 50 caliber; cut rifled muzzleloader barrel with a fast 1:24 twist rate, 32” long and comes complete with an 1860’s period correct long-tube 6-power Malcom-style telescopic sight from Leatherwood Optics. It is designed to shoot heavy conical bullets in the 500-grain weight range to 200 yards. Green Mountain interchangeable muzzleloader barrels have set the standard for performance and accuracy for more than a generation.

No , but sure would like to get my hands on one.

Not only was Green Mountain a good source for many drop in barrels, they had a few of these special run barrels. I'm still kicking my self for not grabbing the 45 caliber with 1-18" twist when it was offered.

Saxtonyoung said:
No , but sure would like to get my hands on one.

Not only was Green Mountain a good source for many drop in barrels, they had a few of these special run barrels. I'm still kicking my self for not grabbing the 45 caliber with 1-18" twist when it was offered.

I believe Idahoron has one of these? I would be for making a looooooooong ranger if i had one! I would go with a Soule type Tang peep like the Economy Lee Shavers long range, i would also get a Lee Shavers Globe front sight with the spirit level built in it, that would make an AWESOME setup in my opinion

I believe I have seen where Ron mentioned he had one. if I remember correctly it had a bore diameter of .458.

I do have a 1-18 twist barrel. There is a very small number of them made. It is a blued barrel so i dont ever shoot it. Some day i need to think about selling it.

1-24 twist 50s will also shoot 300gr+ sabotted bullet very well. Lighter bullets too but the twist is better suited to longer bullets.

1-18 twist 45s are a bit more picky. Long and heavy will give best results. The twist can be murder on high speed sabot loads. 1-22 is more flexible and still shoots big lead well. Ive shot upto the 488gr Bullshop in my 1-22 Pacnor.

I do not have the 'SharpShooter' but I do have a close relation - And it does shoot lights out! Idaholewis and Ron probably a few of these also...

P1010006-1.jpg

idahoron said:
I do have a 1-18 twist barrel. There is a very small number of them made. It is a blued barrel so i dont ever shoot it. Some day i need to think about selling it.

I get first dibs!! When you decide to let it go let me know Ron

Idaholewis said:
idahoron said:

I will keep that in mind. I should just send it to you to play with is what I should do.

sabotloader said:
I do not have the 'SharpShooter' but I do have a close relation - And it does shoot lights out! Idaholewis and Ron probably a few of these also...

P1010006-1.jpg

Your right I have a couple in the 50 cal.

PDC9eJw.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

Since that first picture was taken I added a finger hook to that rifle to make it a little easier to shoot with the single trigger.

wX2ZKaK.jpg

That second one is actually Jacobs rifle. He likes the double trigger gun. He made a great shot on this buck at 175 yards. After 8 days of not seeing a single buck I found this one and he got him clobbered.

TPiCURU.jpg

He was looking over the hill and the neck was his only shot. He made good in it and got his biggest buck.

idahoron said:
Idaholewis said:
idahoron said:

I will keep that in mind. I should just send it to you to play with is what I should do.

If you decide to do that i will take really good care of it Ron! Remember that really nice glitzy glamy place that has its own private lake, i sent you some pictures of? The place i raked and cleaned the lilly pads around that dock. A couple of them guys up there are shooting 810 yards to the back end of that lake with their custom built .308s and Nightforce scopes, the target is a modified toilet seat! LOL! You jump in a boat to go check your target. Those guys have the highest end equipment money can buy! With a little bit of load development and practice i have no doubt i could swing that seat with that 1:18 .458 bore! I would put a Lee Shavers front Globe with the built in level on it, and his Long range Soule Tang peep. I would make a MEAN long range outfit out of that critter!

810 yards ! That sounds like a Lot of fun, any idea what you would use for bullets. Lyman and RCBS both offer bullets in the 500 grain range that have either pointed or round noses that you could shoot.

Saxtonyoung said:
810 yards ! That sounds like a Lot of fun, any idea what you would use for bullets. Lyman and RCBS both offer bullets in the 500 grain range that have either pointed or round noses that you could shoot.

I would play around with the different Weights/lengths bullets from Buffalo Arms til i found what the barrel liked best, they are a true smooth sided cupped base Paper Patch bullet (similar to the ‘Money’ bullet) i also believe a .060 Thou Vegetable fibre over powder wad would be the ticket to seal the gasses behind the bullet

This is the bullet that i think would do really well in that 1:18 Twist with a good tight fitting .060 Vege fibre Wad seated firmly on top of the powder

Buffalo Arms Company Precision Swaged Paper Patch Bullet with cup base in .451" diameter, 550 grains, 1.430" long. These bullets are swaged from certified virgin PURE LEAD extruded wire.

Back