COTTON BALLS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKEEE169

Reaction score
WAS THINKING ABOUT SOAKING COTTON BALLS IN 91% RUBBING ALCOHOL LET DRY AND USE FOR PATCHES INSTEAD OF CUT CLOTH,THE ALCOHOL WILL BURN.WHAT SAY YOU GUYS WHO BEEN DOING THIS A LOT LONGER THEN I.THE ONLY THING I WAS WONDERING WAS HOW MUCH OF THE COTTON BALL TO PUT ON TOP OF THE POWDER CHARGE. ON PAPER IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA.

When the alcohol dries, its gone, so won't burn. :roll: The purpose of the patch is to seal the bore and impart spin to the ball, so the tougher the better to survive the journey through the bore. A cotton ball would be utterly useless. :nono:

Bearman 49 said:
WAS THINKING ABOUT SOAKING COTTON BALLS IN 91% RUBBING ALCOHOL LET DRY AND USE FOR PATCHES INSTEAD OF CUT CLOTH,THE ALCOHOL WILL BURN.WHAT SAY YOU GUYS WHO BEEN DOING THIS A LOT LONGER THEN I.THE ONLY THING I WAS WONDERING WAS HOW MUCH OF THE COTTON BALL TO PUT ON TOP OF THE POWDER CHARGE. ON PAPER IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA.
I have an original double rifle - belted ball that 'supposedly' needs a thin silk patch (makes since as the bore to original belted ball mold is not much) - this makes me think of how I finally got this double to shoot - I found a thin patch, but it wasn't until I used a 3/8" felt wad that was 54 cal because the belt major diameter was 0.530" that it started shooting accurately..
Your cotton idea makes me think of the felt wad, but like others - I'm doubtful it would work as a patch...
You lead your barrel and you'll know!

Back