T/C Hawkin .54 good or bad.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackalope

Reaction score
I found a used T/C Hawkin .54 for $175. I’ve seen it and held it and it looks to be in really good shape. Need a ram rod though. Barrel looks good and hardly any damage on the stock. I’ve been wanting a .54 and was planning on shooting round ball for deer and elk. I had my heart set on a Lyman Great Plains, but this came up. Has a K series # which I believe indicates. Kit gun. Is it worth it?

the 'K' does indeed indicate kit gun. whether this is good or bad depends on the builder/assembler. since you've seen & handled it I assume it passed the test. so based on that assumption & in the condition described I would say yes it's worth it.

I ended up getting it for $125. Whoever put it together did an amazing job, I can’t find a flaw anywhere. Only problem is it won’t pop a cap if you set the set trigger. It will only pop it with only the front trigger. You can tell it’s a lot weaker with the set trigger set.

take the triggers out & see if the leaf spring that powers the set trigger is tightened down. also on some T/C triggers there's a small screw between the rear trigger & the leaf spring screw that adjusts tension on that spring. if it has the screw it may be turned in too far taking too much pressure off the spring.

also while yer in there make sure it's not somethin' simple as a bit of extra wood in the inlet rubbin' on trigger parts.

Mountain Beaver said:
I ended up getting it for $125. Whoever put it together did an amazing job, I can’t find a flaw anywhere. Only problem is it won’t pop a cap if you set the set trigger. It will only pop it with only the front trigger. You can tell it’s a lot weaker with the set trigger set.

I need to check what I think I am reading... the rear trigger (set trigger) should not cause the hammer to drop. When you pull the hammer back then pull the set trigger you should here a "click" sound then to fire the cap you pull the front trigger to drop the hammer. The falling hammer falls with the same spring used for either a set trigger or a non-set trigger.

As mentioned there is a small screw by the triggers that is used to adjust the sear engagement.

To Set; (Per The Manual)
With the rifle uncharged and unprimed, place the hammer in the half-cock position. set the rear trigger. With the trigger "set", carefully turn the adjustment screw clockwise until the trigger mechanism "snaps" into the "unset" position. Stop turning the instance the mechanism "snaps".
Do not turn the adjustment screw beyond this point for it marks the instant of total set trigger disengagement. Once the mechanism "snaps", turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise one full turn.

Hope some of this helps...

O and K kit or not if the rifle is in that good of shape - That would be a GREAT purchase - you could easily double that...

Kind of confusing I know. If I set the set trigger then pull the front trigger it will not pop the cap. If I pull just the front trigger(no set trigger) it pops the cap every time. I plan on setting the trigger per the manual tonight to see if that helps.

I'm really excited I got it and it being in amazing shape. It does need a new ramrod and one of the ramrod keepers screw pulled through. A new nipple, ramrod and keeper and it will be set. Then load development.

Mountain Beaver said:
Kind of confusing I know. If I set the set trigger then pull the front trigger it will not pop the cap. If I pull just the front trigger(no set trigger) it pops the cap every time. I plan on setting the trigger per the manual tonight to see if that helps.

I'm really excited I got it and it being in amazing shape. It does need a new ramrod and one of the ramrod keepers screw pulled through. A new nipple, ramrod and keeper and it will be set. Then load development.

You really did get a good buy and one those rifles are getting very hard to find now days - especially since they are not made any longer.

I would also suggest you may also need to remove the lock and the trigger mech from the stock clean them with a good solvent - re-lube and re-install to see if that might help.

mike

bubba.50 said:
take the triggers out & see if the leaf spring that powers the set trigger is tightened down. also on some T/C triggers there's a small screw between the rear trigger & the leaf spring screw that adjusts tension on that spring. if it has the screw it may be turned in too far taking too much pressure off the spring.

also while yer in there make sure it's not somethin' simple as a bit of extra wood in the inlet rubbin' on trigger parts.

I took the the trigger out and found the plate (bridal)holding the sear and tumbler had the two screws holding it in place loose. I tightened them and the triggers work as they should. It looks like the plate ( bridal) may have a slight bend where the sear goes in so I will try to find a new one and replace it or bend it back and lock tight the screws.

Mountain Beaver said:
bubba.50 said:

I took the the trigger out and found the plate (bridal)holding the sear and tumbler had the two screws holding it in place loose. I tightened them and the triggers work as they should. It looks like the plate ( bridal) may have a slight bend where the sear goes in so I will try to find a new one and replace it or bend it back and lock tight the screws.

The Bridal Screws loosening up is very common!! You can use the Blue Loctite stuff (The Red Loctite is WAY to much!) I would advise just taking 1 screw out at a time, use caution if you decide to take all of them out, the Tumbler is under pressure by the main spring, and the Fly is held in place by the Bridal plate (important that you get some oil in under that plate and keep it lubed, i use a pump bottle oil, i wet them down good, Work the lock back n forth to make sure everything is lubed well, then blow the excess out with light compressed air. If you choose to Blue Loctite the Screws make sure and degrease them, a very small amount on the threads is all that is needed, The Blue Loctite stuff is easy enough to take back apart. I am in and out of my Locks so much in the cleaning process that i dont use anything, i just make sure they are snug each time. DON’T over tighten those little Bridal screws or you will break the ears off the Screw heads

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll get some loctight and get the trigger all set and then off to see how well it shoots.

Back