HOME MADE 209 CONVERSION

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKEEE169

Reaction score
I took a peace of brake cable from a bike the 209 shot primer fit real good.i measured it and cut it to size.The treads on it were 6.1mm same as the #11 nipple. if i had a way to cap it to inclose the primer i would be tempted to try it,the fire channel is 7/64.i know the fire channels on the nipples are.030 to .034 which is really small,i asume the mag spark system is hardened a lot more then the brake cable.it looks good tho.I,ve decided when i do shoot it i will use 300 grain conicals.the powder not sure yet, takes 209 primers i here to ignite blackhorn 209.What is the easiest to ignite powder out there lose powder i should say i've only dealt with pellets in my cva which work fine but here a lot of stuff about developing good loads with lose powder.I WON'T SHOOT IT BUT LIKE TO TINKER WITH STUFF the MAG SPARK CONVERSON COST OVER $35.00 BUCKS SHIPPED,WILL PROABLY TRY MOSCUT CAPS FRIST

Bearman 49 said:
I took a peace of brake cable from a bike the 209 shot primer fit real good.i measured it and cut it to size.The treads on it were 6.1mm same as the #11 nipple. if i had a way to cap it to inclose the primer i would be tempted to try it,the fire channel is 7/64.i know the fire channels on the nipples are.030 to .034 which is really small,i asume the mag spark system is hardened a lot more then the brake cable.it looks good tho.I,ve decided when i do shoot it i will use 300 grain conicals.the powder not sure yet, takes 209 primers i here to ignite blackhorn 209.What is the easiest to ignite powder out there lose powder i should say i've only dealt with pellets in my cva which work fine but here a lot of stuff about developing good loads with lose powder.I WON'T SHOOT IT BUT LIKE TO TINKER WITH STUFF the MAG SPARK CONVERSON COST OVER $35.00 BUCKS SHIPPED,WILL PROABLY TRY MOSCUT CAPS FRIST

Why do you even need a 209 ignition on a side hammer?

A #11 mag will work equally well even if you are shooting T7 powder. And if you use the correct nipple you can virtually make it water tight...

I personally wouldn’t mess with 209s in any of my sidelocks as i feel no need for them, i use real black powder and ignition is immediate with #11 Magnum Caps, I personally wouldn’t bother with Musket Caps either, The #11 RWS 1075 plus caps are REALLY hot, So are the CCi Magnums, the only benefit i can see to a Musket Cap is the larger size making them easier to handle than the #11s

Idaholewis said:
I personally wouldn’t mess with 209s in any of my sidelocks as i feel no need for them, i use real black powder and ignition is immediate with #11 Magnum Caps, I personally wouldn’t bother with Musket Caps either, The #11 RWS 1075 plus caps are REALLY hot, So are the CCi Magnums, the only benefit i can see to a Musket Cap is the larger size making them easier to handle than the #11s

True but in truth you really should handle the cap anyway that what cappers are for or even the old way of shaping a piece leather to hole and place your caps...

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

True but in truth you really should handle the cap anyway that what cappers are for or even the old way of shaping a piece leather to hole and place your caps...

Sabotloader, I fully agree but i am guilty of doing it on a regular basis when target shooting, i have 3 different style cappers that i do use occasionally, i have one of the leather cappers you speak of, i got it from October Country. Personally I find it easier to just grab one and push it on. With Center Fire reloading i NEVER touch a primer, i have a bench mount priming tool that uses pick up tubes, if I just have a few to load and decide to use the priming lever on the press i have a pair of Tweasers that i use for placing the primers, never are the primers handled/touched

same here Ive tried cappers w/muskets caps and its easier for me to just put some in my pocket grab it and stick it on..

Idaholewis said:
sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

Sabotloader, I fully agree but i am guilty of doing it on a regular basis when target shooting, i have 3 different style cappers that i do use occasionally, i have one of the leather cappers you speak of, i got it from October Country. Personally I find it easier to just grab one and push it on. With Center Fire reloading i NEVER touch a primer, i have a bench mount priming tool that uses pick up tubes, if I just have a few to load and decide to use the priming lever on the press i have a pair of Tweasers that i use for placing the primers, never are the primers handled/touched

Thanks for all the input guys will see about the hotter #11 magnums and get a capper to,have a 209 capper for my in lines don't think i used it yet tho.The wolfs just break open and easy to load.

Flash holes in nipples and 209 conversions are tiny for a reason; they limit the volume of pressurized gas blowing back to the hammer at ignition. If you have too big of an ignition hole, your hammer will be blown back, and you'll get a blast of gas and debris in the face.

I have both #11 and musket nipples as well as a Mag-Spark conversion. The reason I have these is "insurance"; There have been times when caps were a little tough to source locally. I bought a sleeve of musket caps for not much $ at a gunshow (RWS), and have 209s on hand for shotgun and inline shooting. The Mag-Spark will work on a sidelock, but I would ONLY use it on a patent breech.

BH209 REQUIRES a sealed ignition, so save it for inlines and cartridges. Yes, I did prove that it could/would work on a patent breech, sidelock with Mag-Spark conversion, but that unit lives in my shooting box as a last resort. REAL blackpowder is relatively easy to ignite, cleans up easily, and is inexpensive, so is my recommendation when available.

Latest posts

Back