Renegade Wedge Pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Have a question for you all. I have been shooting one of my Renegade's and the first range session went very well, nice grouping at 50 yards with a PRB. Did another range session to find the sights needed adjusting and didn't have a drift so took it home and made adjustments. This range session it was a consistent shooter at 100 yards but was way right. The 50 yard session it was shooting to the right as well and it made sense it would shoot even further right at 100 yards. Took it home, removed the barrel and did a full clean.

Since then I have been in an epic battle with its accuracy or lack of accuracy. Went back to the range and shot at 100 yards you couldn't call where the ball was going to hit, there could easily be 12-18" between shots with some very low, very high and the occasional shot where I aimed. I was shooting very carefully but couldn't get any form of accuracy. I switched to conicals with the same result, all over the place no matter how careful the shot. Took it home frustrated.

Went out for another session with the same result, all over the place with no idea where the conical was going to hit and tried 10 grains more powder, loading pressure and other things to no avail even back to PRB. The last thing I did was take the wedge pin out and turn it around, it fit much tighter turned around. I shot two patches round balls before running out of the proper patches and was encouraged, 2 next to each other about 2" apart at 85 yards. I then shot one conical before I ran out of time and had to go. The conical hit right where I aimed. Those last three shots were the most consistent shots in a row I had in many shots. Sadly have not been back to the range since.

So my question and theory is the barrel was moving around but need to get back to the range to test the theory some more. I do not remember how the wedge pin was installed before as this is a relatively recent Renegade I had purchased. The last time the wedge pin was put in it would go most of the way in with thumb pressure and had to be tapped the last 1/4 of and inch at most.

Your thoughts please

Mark

Sounds like you solved your mystery on your own. A loose pin isn't uncommon. Put a slight bend in the pin or knock the under lug in a tad should make it tight again. I always put my pin in from left to right since I'm a right handed shooter, it gives me a smoother surface for my left hand to hold on.

he last time the wedge pin was put in it would go most of the way in with thumb pressure and had to be tapped the last 1/4 of and inch at most.

I have a 35 year old CVA Mountain Rifle. It has 2 wedge keys in it. One has a slight bend and the other is more bent so they have to go in the same slot they come out of. On mine the bent side goes in down and both take a bit of a tap to get them in the last little bit. I had the same problem you had till I did that to lock the barrel down. During recoil the barrel was moving up and down in the stock. After bending those keys it shot fantastic. Just wish I could see the open sights like I used too. :roll:

I believe every original ML I have - the wedge enters from the left (same a Mtn. Beaver describes). I too think it's because most are right handed shooters.
Would be interesting to see a left handed stocked original - what side they entered. I'll have to try to look next time I see ones stocked for LH - which are few.

I have bent wedge keys to tighten up fit, but i personally prefer to tighten a loose fitting wedge key by slightly tapping the underlug with a piece of 3/8 round stock steel, lay the 3/8 round stock perfectly flat across the bottom of the lug, and make sure its centered, give it a light smack with a brass hammer, keep testing for fit. I bought a Brand new Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle and This is how Lyman explains fixing a loose wedge key in the owners manual

The best way to tighten everything up is to glass bed the barrel and tang/hooked breech to the wood. It will never get loose after that.

Latest posts

Back