Scored a .32 Cherokee barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new .32 Cherokee barrel, the squirrels in these parts better look out!
I’ve got a Seneca .45 that was a kit gun so I might use that stock if I can’t come up with a Cherokee stock.
Anyone know what the rate of twist was on the Cherokee .32’s?

Awesome score! That is a barrel on my want list! Have fun with it and let us know how it shoots for ya

Well, I’ve now got a couple complete Cherokees, a .32 and a .45. I’m planning on shooting PRB’s in them with real black powder. I’ve never shot anything except BP subs with maxi balls or saboted bullets. Can I get 3F Goex and use it in both rifles?

8533_F5_ED-30_C8-49_FE-_B288-598_F403_D82_D6.jpg

3f powder should work fine in both!
Good luck and let us know how they shoot.

I would like to know how they shoot too. I've always wanted a small caliber/bore T/C.

That is what 3F is for! I use 3F in everything from .36 to .54, I use both 2 and 3F Powder but kinda favor the 3F, I have had really good luck with Swiss 3F in my .45 Cal Green Mountain LRH (Fast twist barrel) 70 Grains behind a 400 Grain bullet is what i shoot to 500 yards. You obviously don’t wanna push the Cherokee like that, nor the Seneca. Fact is 3F is ideal for both .32 and .45

in my cherokee .32's I use a .315 ball and 0.010 patch. anything from 10-25 grains 3f goex shoots well. (One big reason for the cherokee 30 twist following. My 48 twist guns all want a specific flavor, usually 20-25 grains) The .45 barrels I used 60 grain charge with a roundball. I don't shoot the .45 anymore, the gun just don't fit me, and punches me in the cheek every shot. :roll:

Thanks guys!
I think I’ve got everything I need on the way. I ordered both .310 and .315 balls and .010 and .015 patches, 3F Goex and 1,000 caps, a short starter and various ramrod attachments.
Hopefully it will all arrive and I’ll have the time to sight it in and get out after the squirrels a time or two before the first of the year when our season ends.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got everything I need except a warm afternoon! I’ve got some time off between Christmas and New Years, hopefully it warms up a little by then.
5054_A6_FF-6_D86-48_CB-99_C2-_EC44_F6938_CC6.jpg

QuinnTheEskimo said:
I’m pretty sure I’ve got everything I need except a warm afternoon! I’ve got some time off between Christmas and New Years, hopefully it warms up a little by then

Looks like you are ready to make smoke! These small bores are REALLY fun to shoot!! I am in the same boat as you with the weather, it is cold here right now, 5 degrees at this exact moment. I have 1 of my .36 Seneca’s loaded with Roundball to test, i might go tomorrow morning no matter what the mercury is saying? It should be below zero in the morning, ive always heard that Blackpowder fouling is worse in the cold weather? Be a good time to test that, along with these bear greased patches i made up.

Squeeze said:
not sure if the regular volume measure goes small enough. For my small cal stuff, I usually use a pistol powder measure. Mine is a Ted Cash one http://www.tdcmfgstore.com/agora.cgi?cart_id=59326377.433392&p_id=z-PMRS&xm=on&ppinc=search2

The one in his picture does, i have 2 of those, 1 identical to his (which is TC’s new version) and my other one is the older all brass model. They start at 20 Grains. I hear people talk about starting at 10-15 grains, I think that is to low? You should make sure you are at least filling the powder chamber/Patented breech, Otherwise you would have air space between your powder charge and Patched Round ball, which is NOT a good thing, you want the projectile seated against the powder charge. For .32 Cal Round Ball in a TC Seneca or Cherokee TC shows a starting charge of 30 Grains 3F which was the most accurate they tested, and a Max of 50 Grains 3F, Personally i would try 30 Grains first, I’m sure there’s a good reason TC published those load recommendations.

I have 3 .32 cherokees. Ive shot a 30 grn load maybe a couple times. and 10-15 grains 3f is typical for me. more than 20 grns and a roundball is up in the .22 WMR range and already pretty hot for a squirrel gun. (a 25 grn 3f goex load gets me just over 1700 fps) The main pull, and following for the faster twist of the TC .32 IS its ability to be loaded lighter, and still retain accuracy.

I'll shoot 10 grns BH 209 out of an inline .32 to over 1600 fps with a 47 grn patched roundball. (with a 209 ignition) That's pretty much a ~.22 LR already

Squeeze said:
I have 3 .32 cherokees. Ive shot a 30 grn load maybe a couple times. and 10-15 grains 3f is typical for me. more than 20 grns and a roundball is up in the .22 WMR range and already pretty hot for a squirrel gun. (a 25 grn 3f goex load gets me just over 1700 fps) The main pull, and following for the faster twist of the TC .32 IS its ability to be loaded lighter, and still retain accuracy.

I'll shoot 10 grns BH 209 out of an inline .32 to over 1600 fps with a 47 grn patched roundball. (with a 209 ignition) That's pretty much a ~.22 LR already

Squeeze, TC recommends a starting load of 30 grains 3F, But I imagine the powder chamber/Patented breech is size proportionate to the bore? 10-15 Grains seems awfully light tho? But if it works that’s all that matters! I just shot 1 of my .36 Seneca’s today with Patched Roundball at 25-35 yards, FUN, but COOOOLD, about 6 degrees! 30 Grains of Swiss 3F, I was fairly pleased with the results, i shot 8 times total, the first 2 shots were touching about 3” below the bull, the next 2 shots were odd, 1 in the center of the bull, the next just above and a little right? The last 4 settled in really nice in about a 1 inch group just under the bull. My patches were shredding, i didn’t find a single complete patch, just shredded pieces. This bore is rough, but i can see strong riflings all the way through it. I made up my mind after cleaning it this evening that i am gonna Try lapping this one with Valve lapping compound and hopefully smooth it out? I bought this barrel for 50 bucks, the exterior is perfect, but the bore had been neglected.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Here’s a pretty interesting article on small bore muzzleloaders in general, and it discusses the .32 Cherokee at length.
http://www.namlhunt.com/mlsmallgame2.html

That is a good article on the small bores! Lot of Controversy surrounds Bridges from what I’ve read, but i sure enjoy reading his articles and have learned a bunch from his stuff, from History of Different Rifles, to tips/tricks of the trade.

Some of TBs stuff is really good like that small game article. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in awhile. I bought my 54-120 based on his review which was spot on. I wish i would have listened to the GMB squirrel rifle review though and had them send me a matching serial number set. :(

GM54-120 said:
I wish i would have listened to the GMB squirrel rifle review though and had them send me a matching serial number set. :(

No Doubt!!! That is a SUPER NICE lookin little rifle!

Latest posts

Back