Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not letting me post the pics, I don't know how to resize them from my phone? I will post the pics when I get home.

Way back when Cabelas had a better selection of ML and VA started it's early ML season I got a "sporterized traditional" in 58. Well it had a recoil pad and steel hardware instead of the brass stuff, 28" barrel and 1/48 twist. It was really accurate with PRB or Minnie bullets. It was my favorite ML for years and I shot it and killed many deer with it. Neither deer ever stopped a roundball from that gun so no recovered bullets. Never had to track any deer I shot with it either, most were DRT or within easy sight of the impact location, and that includes 2 not so great "liver" shots. Longest kill 127 yards, passthrough. My hunting load was 110 gr. of 2F Swiss under a .565 RB, home cast of COWW, laying in a heavy linen patch lubed with 1-1 -1 home made lube of beeswax-grapeseed oil-deer tallow. (OK why grapeseed oil, very high smoke point compared to other veg oils). I shot this gun hunting every year and only had to stop as my eyes aged and I required scope to shoot accurately. My brother lives in CO and has shot this load a bit and has seen me shoot it. He archery hunts and has bagged quite a bunch of elk and about the 58 said it should do the deed on most any elk with proper shot placement at under 150 yd. Problem is now I can't shoot open sights any more with any accuracy. Well now I'm a SML addict so to each their own. And oh yess I do miss the "holy black", caps, PRB and open sights.

My experience and opinion, others will differ. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!! W

Thanks for the photos. I assume what I read was true about the stock being slightly larger in the breech/grip area as I see the lock plate has a lot of wood around it on the panel.
Been questioning myself if I build a rifle, if the barrel length it long enough?? So, this may end up on something - as I'm intrigued about the 3-groove and possible projectiles.

My Pedersoli .577 3 band Enfield is a 3 groove with 1:78 twist .
I have seen others shoot excellent groups with 650 gr conicals from the same gun . I have never shot mine yet . But maybe some day :)

Russia has some crazy laws on rifles, and rifled barrels. (typically a 5 year wait for first time buyers) yet shotguns are considered different and much easier to purchase. To get around this, several unorthodox designs have surfaced, like (paradax choke) rifling. Basically a smoothbore, with rifling in the last few inches. This way, a rifle can be considered like a choked shotgun barrel. several (everything has been tried before) older riflings are being marketed, such as oval bore (lancaster) style rifling
9.6x53mm-Lancaster-.366-TKM-oval-bore.jpg

Here is one link with some info http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/14/new-russian-9-6x53mm-lancaster-cartridge-366-tkm-news/

(note the video, of the borescope)

That's interesting, I've seen something very similar before in Greener's Book, I believe.
I must be doing something right as I've had the opportunity to shot an original rifle in every one of those rifles except the E. Baker (which looks very conventional of todays rifling).
Alex Henry - I have a few.
Enfield - Shot an Enfield many years ago, but I didn't know they were only 3 groove until I bought this barrel - I always thought they were very wide groove and narrow lands.
E. Baker?
Metford - Gibbs - shot a few
Ratchet - yep, in Kerr and a Thomas Tuner I believe
Jacobs - I have a double rifle, belted ball
Whitworth - yep, Love them
Lancaster - Shot a double rifle 450 3.25" (the only cartridge in the group)

What others?:
Shot a H&H 10bore Paradox and an 8 bore double rifle.
18 groove (micro-groove) percussion rifle.
5 sided pentagon, percussion rifle, very similar to Whitworth
H&H semi-smooth bore rook rifle, 30cal cartridge, very shallow grooves - like Metford.
Rigby rifling, ML, shallow variation of what looks like Metford.
I'd bet they might be endless...

In my post above, I always believed Enfield rifling had wide grooves/narrow lands. This wide 3-groove barrel has really got me wondering...
This evening, I read an incredible article on the Enfield. I know the author and I'll ask him if I can share..
Found this interesting..

Attachments

• Enfield 1.jpg
    Enfield 1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 412
  • Enfield 2.jpg
    Enfield 2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 412
Back