‘The Business Rifle’

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would test without a wad as well, especially with a bullet that fits well.
At that close range, if your just looking for a group, lower the charge to like 65gr. The bullet may not even be stabilized yet with that load.
Also, watch your bench as that rear rest may mess with your groups ??? You might even try resting off the barrel in front of the stock..
Clean it well between shots..
Good luck.

Also, with a post front -I hold 6 o'clock as not to cover the target, silhouette, etc.
This game is not different than an in-line with a scope.

52Bore said:
I would test without a wad as well, especially with a bullet that fits well.
At that close range, if your just looking for a group, lower the charge to like 65gr. The bullet may not even be stabilized yet with that load.
Also, watch your bench as that rear rest may mess with your groups ??? You might even try resting off the barrel in front of the stock..
Clean it well between shots..
Good luck.

Also, with a post front -I hold 6 o'clock as not to cover the target, silhouette, etc.
This game is not different than an in-line with a scope.

52, I never thought about testing without a wad, i thought that would burn through the paper? These bullets fit well, if anything a little on the tight side, i might even get a .450 Lee sizer die just to ‘Iron’ the paper out and make for a bit easier loading, They go down good, I can push them down with my thumb and 2 fingers on my Rangerod, patched up they are dead on .451 with this old cockle texture onion skin paper, I have some paper that is just a pinch thinner i could try as well.
The bench and rest i am using is less than ideal, but is easily portable and works ok, i much prefer to Group shoot from a solid platform and Sand Bags, This will probably have to wait til spring time, it will get nasty here in North Idaho soon!
I ALWAYS swab good between shots, i use a 50/50 mixture of blue windex and 91% isopropyl Alcohol, then 2-3 dry patches, i leave the last dry patch seated against the breech and pop a cap or 2 and check for burn on the patch.
I agree on the 6 o’oclock hold, i have a habit of wanting to put the little bead/pin dead on where i want to hit.
Overall i was pleased with today, i am confident this thing is gonna get with the program!

I need to make up a new template for cutting my patches, mine is a tad on the short side for these loooooong bullets, these measure 1.390, i had to fold the the tail over on my short patches (which I don’t like to do) i like to be able to twist a tail with the excess and push it up in the cupped base, then slide them across a hard flat surface with firm pressure to iron the base out even.

I still use spit to wipe..
I don't touch the base of my bullet - I (many) feel the base is more important than the nose, twist the paper pigtail tight (yes, sometimes they rip, but very few when you find the touch) no problem tucking in the cavity base.
You're on track, keep it up

Hey 52, You ever Chronograph these big 530 Grain bullets? If so, What kind of velocity are you getting? What Powder? Powder charge etc.? I have a Chronograph and plan to do some testing, But figure I’ll be lazy and ask you

Harleysboss said:
SWEET RIFLE Lewis! You will no longer need your 45 molds so you should just ship them to ME...LOL.

Not a chance Pal! LOL, I’ll make you some up anytime tho! I just bought a lead pot full of 1:40 (8 BHN) Stuff from BACO this morning, i plan to fire the pot up soon and try this Hardness on some Grease Groove bullets in hopes of them staying tight all the way down the bore, This plumbers lead that i used for the bullets i have now is super soft stuff, i am confident i will find a hardness that works well with the Greasers. A person needs to take in to account that bullets Harden with age, I have loaded Maxi Balls, and Lyman Plains bullets at 9-9.5 Brinell and they were to tight, and stayed tight, not a pleasurable experience! Getting them To Hard starts and ends in a BITTER Range session! :lol:

I got to thinking (sometimes an expensive thing :shock: ) I have a .449 Lee Push through sizer, i just sent one of these patched bullets thru it Base first, Very tiny resistance felt, but it took the Diameter down from .451 to .450 on the dot, Should be about perfect for bench shooting I’d think? I’ve been told by a few highly respected competitive shooters that best accuracy is ‘usually’ found 1-2 thou under bore. If i were gonna hunt with this setup i would just wrap and load for the little tighter fit. Now i gotta get back out and shoot the Ole Gal! I plan to try Wool felt wads as well, see if the extra cushion from the 1/8 felt makes any noticeable difference?

Here they are after i made a new longer PP Template, twisted and tucked the tails, and sent them thru my .449 Sizer, Should make for really nice loading. Hopefully they get with the program my next outing!

52bore, What yardage do you think it will take to be sure these big long things have stabilized out? I am thinking of sticking with my 70 Grain Charge of powder, at least for now.

Here they are after a trip through my .449 Sizer Base first. They were .451, now they are spot on .450

Your 90gr load is similar to 45cal and Jason D and they are around 1300fps.
I got a LabRadar this past summer and have been playing with my 12b rifle, but I did find one photo with my Mtnr 45 1:20. Photo shows 1245fps - this would be with 70gr Swiss 3F with either a 500 or 530gr PP.

Attachments

• LabR range.jpg
    LabR range.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 140
Idaholewis said:
52bore, What yardage do you think it will take to be sure these big long things have stabilized out?
I never shot closer than 200yds until I started messing with these in-lines, mainly because both Oak Ridge and Friendship LR lines start at 200. I have found lighter loads will shoot better at 50yds with my in-line.

52Bore said:
Idaholewis said:
52bore, What yardage do you think it will take to be sure these big long things have stabilized out?
I never shot closer than 200yds until I started messing with these in-lines, mainly because both Oak Ridge and Friendship LR lines start at 200. I have found lighter loads will shoot better at 50yds with my in-line.

Thanks 52! I will try 200 yards on my next outing with this rifle and see how it goes? I like to spend time at 50-100 yards during load development with a new rifle, But i can see that this rifle is definitely gonna shoot so no need to spend a bunch of time, powder, and lead up close now. At this point I would like to get to where i feel the bullet has stabilized out and see how it performs? Quick as my Elk season ends the 9th of December i need to get My Vernier sight for this thing and get it setup

1245-1300 FPS is moving right along for a 500-530 Grain bullet!!

52bore, How do you like that LabRadar Chrono? I have been looking at it, and the Magneto Speed, The LabRadar would be a MUCH better unit for me with arrows, and Muzzleloaders. I have a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono, it’s a piece of Junk and so is the Co. in my opinion!! I believe it gives accurate readings, BUT when you turn it off and drive home, it ‘magically changes numbers around??? Say in string 1 i have 1205, 1255, 1194, etc. etc. When i get home and turn the unit back on the 1205 shot might have changed to 340 etc. etc. etc. I have had it do this SEVERAL times on me. I contacted the Co and explained this to them, they told me to ship it back, they ‘Supposedly’ Sent me a new unit? I HIGHLY doubt they did? I am confident they checked it, and couldn’t get it to repeat what had happened to me and they sent it back to me? I wish now i had scribed my initials inside the battery cover, or some way i could have identified that it was my old unit? It sat around for a few years before i got it back out again, sure enough it did the above again? I emailed The Co and explained this again, some Head Honcho Jim returned my email, Of course my unit was long over the Warranty, and of course i was the only 1 in the world that had ever had a problem like this? I was told that i was SOL, My last response to him was that i would get the word out

They will run around 1300 ft. a sec. With 90 grn. 2 ff Swiss , 52 bore uses about 85 grn. Swiss 2ff , and I use about 94 gr. Swiss 2ff. Years ago I used 78 of 3fff Swiss , all good 1000 yd. loads with the 530 grn. bullet

45cal said:
They will run around 1300 ft. a sec. With 90 grn. 2 ff Swiss , 52 bore uses about 85 grn. Swiss 2ff , and I use about 94 gr. Swiss 2ff. Years ago I used 78 of 3fff Swiss , all good 1000 yd. loads with the 530 grn. bullet

Thank you 45cal! what is a good bullet design that you guys would recommend for out to 1,000 yards? I would rather buy a good bullet mold and make my own, As much as i plan to shoot, these BACO bullets are gonna get spendy. I see the Elliptical, Postell, The Money, the Creedmoor, In your guy’s opinion which do you feel would be the best for my application? I want the mold cut at .443-.444 Diameter, At 200 bucks a piece I’d rather not have to buy a bunch of them. Thank you guys!

similar to what you are using , some vary on nose shape . hard to find good custom mold. I use what you are shooting at 1000 yd. I have used and won with 550 gr. from Buffalo. You might look up Brooks, they make a PP mold. Nose pour is better as base is most important

45cal said:
similar to what you are using , some vary on nose shape . hard to find good custom mold. I use what you are shooting at 1000 yd. I have used and won with 550 gr. from Buffalo. You might look up Brooks, they make a PP mold. Nose pour is better as base is most important

Thank you 45cal! I have done some reading, and looking at different molds, Kal Tool & Die makes an adjustable weight/length cupped base nose pour mold, and a few others. BACO makes molds as well, i will talk to Dave Gullo the next time i am in there

Good thread just got a chance to read it ,don't read to much when my hunting season is in. This is all good information for me as should be reasy in a few weeks. I have a 450 lee sizing dye made up, but sounds like I need to have them make me a 449.also. I am doing a Allen lockbox 45 fast twist build also for a hunting rife. Also have a 50 cal investaarms by Cabelas that I would like to but a 45 fast twist on it ,if it will take it, any one knows about this please let me know.

Ready to go LOOOOONG!

Leveling up the Staff, a trued spirit level on the top flat across the snail in front of the hammer, also one up front at the Globe sight, and my short level on the Staff, i had to shim the right side a teeny bit to get it perfect, but it was pretty darn close.

No, no, no, no [emoji107]. Anything less than absolute perfection must be shipped off to me for proper “disposal”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, can't wait to see how the new sights workout for you.

Back