Fast Twist Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackalope

Reaction score
Since I can’t find one of the Green Mountain fast twist barrels. I see Rice is starting to make some. Is there anyone one else that makes a fast twist barrel for a Hawken?

oragon barrel makes one but you have to give them specs and send in your stock.

Jackalope said:
Since I can’t find one of the Green Mountain fast twist barrels. I see Rice is starting to make some. Is there anyone one else that makes a fast twist barrel for a Hawken?

Another possible option is to find an underbore Barrel with bad bore, send it to Bobby Hoyt for a Rebore, he can twist it to your desire. Last i heard was about 120.00 for this service, I have heard nothing but good about Mr Hoyt’s work

Idaholewis said:
Jackalope said:

Another possible option is to find an underbore Barrel with bad bore, send it to Bobby Hoyt for a Rebore, he can twist it to your desire. Last i heard was about 120.00 for this service, I have heard nothing but good about Mr Hoyt’s work

Good to know, i’ll have to keep an eye out for a cheap barrel.

Jackalope said:
Idaholewis said:
Jackalope said:

Good to know, i’ll have to keep an eye out for a cheap barrel.

Going this route (if you can find a cheap barrel with neglected bore) would definitely be a BUNCH cheaper than a brand new barrel, When Hoyt is done you will have a brand new bore.

Yes, it sure seems that way. I’ll be watching for a barrel.

Jackalope said:
What twist rate does the .45 LRH have? 1-28 or 1-30?

45cal LRH barrels have 1 in 30 twist. 50 & 54 LRH barrels have 1 in 28 twist.

bubba.50 said:
Jackalope said:

Thanks, I think I've found a .45 LRH local here just wanted to make sure. I can't decide if I should get the .45 LRH or wait for a .50 LRH.
He said it was for a Renegade so that would make it a 1' barrel. I'm assuming it will work in my .54 Hawken stock.

Jackalope said:
bubba.50 said:
Jackalope said:

Thanks, I think I've found a .45 LRH local here just wanted to make sure. I can't decide if I should get the .45 LRH or wait for a .50 LRH.

You won’t be disappointed in a 45 LRH, Lots of really good bullet options, My 45 LRH is spooky accurate! And probably my favorite rifle, But here in Idaho we have a .50 Cal Minimum for Elk so i can only deer hunt with my 45 LRH, I have all three of the GM Fast Twist LRH Barrels, 45, 50, and 54 Cal, And Most recently Idahoron gifted me a 32” Green Mountain .45 Cal Super Fast 1:18 Twist Drop in barrel, GM made a very limited run of these 1:18 Twist .451 Bore Drop Ins. Either way you end up going you will be happy!

Idaholewis said:
Jackalope said:
bubba.50 said:

You won’t be disappointed in a 45 LRH, Lots of really good bullet options, My 45 LRH is spooky accurate! And probably my favorite rifle, But here in Idaho we have a .50 Cal Minimum for Elk so i can only deer hunt with my 45 LRH, I have all three of the GM Fast Twist LRH Barrels, 45, 50, and 54 Cal, And Most recently Idahoron gifted me a 32” Green Mountain .45 Cal Super Fast 1:18 Twist Drop in barrel, GM made a very limited run of these 1:18 Twist .451 Bore Drop Ins. Either way you end up going you will be happy!

These are the rules for Utah:
“To hunt big game, you must use a lead or expanding bullet or projectile that’s at least 40 caliber in size.
• If you’re hunting deer or pronghorn, your bullet must be 130 grains or heavier, or your sabot must be 170 grains or heavier.
• If you’re hunting elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep or mountain goat, you must use a 210-grain or heavier bullet, or a sabot bullet that’s at least 240 grain.”

I want to us the new barrel for pronghorn to elk. Looks like I could use the .45 LRH as long as the bullet was 240 gr or more.

and you have here the President & Executive Vice-President of the "Mile-r-More" club, the Idaho brothers Ron and Lewis with their vast stores of no-how to help ya wring the absolute maximum performance outta that barrel! :yeah:

Jackalope said:
Idaholewis said:
Jackalope said:

These are the rules for Utah:
“To hunt big game, you must use a lead or expanding bullet or projectile that’s at least 40 caliber in size.
• If you’re hunting deer or pronghorn, your bullet must be 130 grains or heavier, or your sabot must be 170 grains or heavier.
• If you’re hunting elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep or mountain goat, you must use a 210-grain or heavier bullet, or a sabot bullet that’s at least 240 grain.”

I want to us the new barrel for pronghorn to elk. Looks like I could use the .45 LRH as long as the bullet was 240 gr or more.

With those rules, I would get the 45 LRH HANDS DOWN!!! These 45s will do EVERYTHING the 50s will!! I am envious that you can hunt Elk there with a 45, i sure wish we could! I have 3 bullets that would flat out HAMMER an Elk!!

Either of these! The RCBS 11MM, And my Custom .443-.444 PP Bullet

Or this new Grease Groove 45 i recently had made

A few targets with my 45 LRH, This is a FUN GUN to shoot!!

This was 50 Yard testing of my .443-.444 PP bullet above

Here is a 100 yard target, 7 shots with BACO .444 400 Grain PP bullets

505 yards with my 45 LRH ‘Hotrod Hawken’

3 shots in 7” at 505 yards, BACO .444 400 Grain bullets

I was talking with Lee Shavers on the phone a few days ago about his Long Range Soule sights, We talked a little about shooting Long Range, i told him about my personal best 500 yard group being 3 shots in 7” (this isn’t a big deal, but i was proud of it!) Lee told me his best is 5 Shots in 8” at 1,000 Yards!! Lee Shavers has won the World Championship 2 times i believe? And MANY MANY other big shoots.

The GM .45 LRH is VERY VERY Capable! I can shoot the Same weight bullet as my .50 Cal at the same Velocity, The .45 LRH with a 400 to 425 Grain bullet is 1 BAD DUDE!!

Thanks everyone, I’m going to pick up the .45 LRH. I’m sure i’ll Have a ton of questions on paper patching once I get around to shooting it.

I ended up not getting the barrel that was local to me. I went and looked and it wasn’t what the guy thought it was. It was a factory t/c barrel but .50 cal and full of rust. One more thing, it was either loaded or had something stuck in the barrel since the ramrod stuck about 6” out of the barrel when I checked it.

I ended up finding and buying a .45 LRH on Gunbroker.

Im pretty certain a 45cal 1-30 will shoot upto a 405gr without any problems....At least at typical shooting distances. IIRC there are quite a few 45/70 molds in this weight range. That is probably calculated as ww lead so figure around 415gr maybe in soft lead.

Things get a bit iffy as you approach 1in long figuring only 1300fps but .9" is no problem according to the calculators. One of the guys here used to shoot a 400gr "ish and it shot really well in his 1-30 but that was all 100 yards or less.

GM54-120 said:
Im pretty certain a 45cal 1-30 will shoot upto a 405gr without any problems....At least at typical shooting distances. IIRC there are quite a few 45/70 molds in this weight range. That is probably calculated as ww lead so figure around 415gr maybe in soft lead.

Things get a bit iffy as you approach 1in long figuring only 1300fps but .9" is no problem according to the calculators. One of the guys here used to shoot a 400gr "ish and it shot really well in his 1-30 but that was all 100 yards or less.

GM54-120, I fully agree with the 400ish Grain Weight in the 30 twist, But not the length. The .444-400 BACO bullet above is 1.090 in length and does absolutely awesome out of my 1:30 twist from 50 to 500 yards, I can’t comment beyond 500 yards as I’ve not been beyond that with a Muzzleloader yet. I take the bullet length calculation stuff with a fine grain of salt, VERY fine in these old Muzzleloaders traveling 1200-1500 FPS (The latter on a good day with a tail wind) I was told way back on another forum that i needed some gigantic weight/length bullet for my 1:28 twist 50 Cal LRH, My Lyman Plains bullet is the shortest bullet i own for .50 and .54 Cal at .85 and it shoots right with, and better in many cases than my other bullets, traveling nearly 1500 FPS From my .50 Cal. I have not shot them past 200 yards, maybe accuracy goes south beyond that? I bought some BACO .492-550 Grain bullets which were long and supposed to be well suited for my 28 twist (can’t remember the length now? I melted them down) My 1:28 Twist .50 LRH Shot them worse than any bullet I've tried in it to date.

I strongly believe in bullet length/twist ratio with Center fire type velocities of 2700 FPS and well above. But I’m not buying it in these old Sidelock Muzzleloaders that are in the 1200-1400 FPS range, and under 300 yards. I do believe it comes in to play at really long range of 500 plus yards, But truth is I don’t have experience there YET so I can’t intelligently comment, I am placing my Soule sight order this morning, So I’m about to learn. I plan to try various weight/length bullets out to 800 yards

The best calculator in my hands on experience is to shoot different bullets from your rifle and see what works best in it

Latest posts

Back