Green Mountain Bullet Mold???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I just stumbled across a bullet mold on Ebay that looks just like a TC Mold, marked GM, Did Green Mountain and TC work together to build a mold during the ‘Drop in’ Barrel days? The seller has it listed as a Green Mountain mold by TC or something like that? I am very familiar with TC molds, but this is a new one to me? It sure is a good looking design for a hunting bullet, big wide Meplat!

Here are pics of the mold

Does anyone know if Green Mountain ever made bullet molds? If this one was sized correctly it would make a good bullet for the .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH

After some research i think this mold is for a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle like the 50-70 with the 515 being the Diameter? And the 2 grooves are Crimp grooves. It sure looks like my TC Molds

This was written by Louie Bartolomeo as an Ebay buyers guide for TC Molds

1. T/C DID NOT MAKE A 58 CAL MAXI HUNTER MOULD FOR SALE, BUT THEY DO SELL THE CAST BULLETS.
2. T/C MOULDS WERE MADE FOR A SHORT TIME THROUGH BY SHILOH, UNTIL BUSINESS PROBLEMS BETWEEN T/C AND SHILOH ERUPTED.
3. T/C ALSO HAD FOR A EXTREMELY SHORT PERIOD OHAUS PRODUCE MOULDS FOR THEM.
3. T/C WOULD PUT NEW LABELS OVER OLD ONES ON THE MOULD BOXES WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. SO SOME OF THE BOXES HAVE A LABEL UNDER, CAREFULLY REMOVING THE TOP LABEL SOMETIMES REVEALS RARE EARLY BOXES OR MISPRINTS.
4. T/C MOULD HANDLES ORIGINALLY HAD BRASS FINISHES, WHICH USUALLY WORE AWAY EASILY. NEW HANDLES WITH BRASS ARE RARE.
5. OLD SHILOH MOULDS AND HANDLES WILL INTERCHANGE WITH T/C MOULDS AND HANDLES.

Here is an old post i dug up, this guy claims that Green Mountain made molds for TC as well? Back in my TC Maxi Mold buying spree, and LOTS of research, I don’t remember anything mentioned about Green Mountain making Molds for TC?

Thompson Center marketed molds under their (TC's) brand name, but had them produced by others: Green Mt., Lyman, Ohaus, and maybe Shiloh. The only distinguishing feature is the shape of the sprue cutter such that the Green Mt. and Ohaus ones look exactly like the TC's (long, "squared" end) with the Lyman's being shorter with a round end. Shiloh, OTOH, I can't say. Btw, I sold a Green Mt. .50cal. RB mold (iron) and an Ohaus .440" (iron) RB mold last year. Both looked exactly like the TC "product."

I emailed Green Mountain and just received a response, They most definitely did sell bullet molds at one time, They did not elaborate on if they made them, or had them made? My bet is Lyman Made them for Green Mountain, The same as they did for TC

Not sure who made them but I remember seeing them for sale on the Green Mountain site.

Appears to be a healed bullet, which makes since for a cartridge.
Don't see any crimp groove, I see grease grooves identical to that of the Enfield Minie'.
Aluminum anodized mold blocks.
Like many ML things - people have tried about everything..

52, aren't the top 2 grooves in this bullet the same as the ones in the Mold?

Idaholewis said:
52, aren't the top 2 grooves in this bullet the same as the ones in the Mold?

I see now they are NOT the same, The only bullet I have ever Cast that has Crimp Grooves is The Lee S&W 500 bullet pictured above. I just took it that's what the grooves in the mold were

Back