tc hawken 50cal flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS TO SHARE ON BULLET SELECTION FOR TC HAWKEN 50CAL FLINTLOCK . I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCES ARE IN THIS MATTER. GUY

I take it it’s a stock TC Barrel? If so the Twist rate should be 1:48 which is suited for either Patched Round Ball, or a TC Maxi Ball, You could also try the Lyman Plains bullet, they have a little more bearing surface than the TC Maxi ball, but will load very similar to the Maxi, The Lyman Plains is by far my favorite of the 2 bullets. I have very little experience with patched round ball so I can’t give any suggestions there as to ball diameter, patch thickness etc. from what i read most guys use a .490 Ball, and patch thickness is determined by how your rifle shoots each. Hornady makes a new type of bullet called a PA conical for .50 Cal and weighs 240 Grains, i have no experience with them, but they sure look interesting for a stock twist barrel. Hornady also makes a bullet called the Great Plains and they can be bought in stores, and online, they weigh in at 385 Grains for the .50 Cal and are a cupped base hollow point design, i tried them in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32 twist .54 Cal and they shot good. I personally am not a fan of a hollow point type pure lead bullet in a Muzzleloader though. Another option is the Lee R.E.A.L. Bullet, that one is available in mold form to pour your own, most folks that shoot them seem to be happy.

I don't have a flint, but my percussion T/C Hawken .50 likes 80gr pyrodex RS, .490 ball and a .015 pillow ticking patch. What Idaholewis said, each gun is different and you will have to experiment with patch thickness, patch lube, and powder charge to get the most accuracy out of your gun. Start out with a low powder charge like 60 or 70gr then work your way up by 5 gr increments until you get your best groups.

not traditional but they will shoot a 240 gr xtp in green sabot pretty good also or at least my Renegade did.. I was shooting 90 gr Goex FFFG

I have good luck with the 250gr R.E.A.L. on top of 75gr of 777 in my caplock. I use 60gr of Goex in my flintlock, however I would likely bump that up if I tried hunting with it. I believe LEE makes a R.E.A.L / round ball combo mold.

dbowling said:
not traditional but they will shoot a 240 gr xtp in green sabot pretty good also or at least my Renegade did.. I was shooting 90 gr Goex FFFG

I bet that 240 XTP was scootin right along with this load

don't know what it was clocking but it shot them into about 2 in to a bit more groups at 50 yds.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:

I bet that 240 XTP was scootin right along with this load

Latest posts

Back