Using a Wad

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to the range tomorrow afternoon. Light winds high around 45. Perfect. Going to try wads with some 275 & 350 grn Thompson Maxi Hunter. Do I tamp the wad all the way down on the powder first and then seat the bullet? Can you seat them down the bore at the same time? Thanks for any response.

I for one set my wool wads in the bore followed by the bullet, seat the bullet and wad at the same time with little pressure and I’m good to go.
Magnum

Either way works and I've used both methods. If Im loading a paper patch bullet I usually push the wad into the bore maybe half the depth of the bullet then set the bullet onto the wad and seat both together. I think it helps guard against the bullet pushing through the paper patch.

I’m interested to see the reply’s. I hoping to be setup to shoot paper patch later this spring.

Harleysboss said:
Either way works and I've used both methods. If Im loading a paper patch bullet I usually push the wad into the bore maybe half the depth of the bullet then set the bullet onto the wad and seat both together. I think it helps guard against the bullet pushing through the paper patch.
That is a must with a tight fitting PP bullet - or you'll regret it! ha

I do both, But actually prefer seating the OP Wad first, especially if i have a nice slip fit bullet that will load with the weight of my brass range rod, I like to give the OP Wad a good SOLID push on the powder, then slide the bullet down and just slightly push it against the OP Wad. I actually pushed a Bullet through it’s paper jacket 1 time and didn’t even realize it due to seating it with a tight fitting .060 Vege wad, everything felt fine? But somewhere down the bore (probably the last 1” or so) the paper failed (I'm sure it was at the base) and pushed through the paper jacket. You have to be careful with Swaged bullets, they can have a very sharp edge around the base from the Swaging process and will cut your paper patch like a Razor blade! I give my cupped base swaged bullets a very light twist standing straight up on a piece of very fine emery cloth on a solid flat surface, then i take my RCBS deburring tool and ever so gently turn them, i am NOT trying to reshape the base, just take the little sharp burr off the outer edge. The procedure i just mentioned will get rid of the burr, But use common sense here, i am NOT being aggressive with this at all, just very lightly!! The base is what steers the bullet.

I had to delete some pictures in order to post more

Here is what i am talking about with the Swaged cupped base bullets i get from BACO, if you choose to not deburr this sharp edge and the bullet is a fairly snug fit in your bore you are risking pushing them through the paper jacket, here is what i am talking about.
The day i spoke of above, Had i of seated the .060 Vege wad first i would have felt the bullet push through the jacket, but since i was pushing both together i missed it, when i took the shot it was obvious something was wrong, Hardly any recoil, odd sound, and different smoke.

rangerod said:
Going to the range tomorrow afternoon. Light winds high around 45. Perfect. Going to try wads with some 275 & 350 grn Thompson Maxi Hunter. Do I tamp the wad all the way down on the powder first and then seat the bullet? Can you seat them down the bore at the same time? Thanks for any response.

Sorry about venturing off on paper patch bullets and OP wads, the info i posted above doesn’t apply to your original question here. With your TC Maxi hunters it shouldn’t make a bit of difference, either way will work as good as the other. No need to tamp the Wad, just get it on top of the powder and give it a steady push. What is your rifle, and what type of Wad material are you using? Does your barrel have a QLA muzzle?

Re: Usin,g a Wad

Going to use the .125 wads in both a Lyman Deerstalker and Traditions Hawken Woodsman. Have both lubed and non lubed wool. Neither gun has QLA. Some people say the maxi ball is the better bullet?

rangerod said:
Going to use the .125 wads in both a Lyman Deerstalker and Traditions Hawken Woodsman. Have both lubed and non lubed wool. Neither gun has QLA. Some people say the maxi ball is the better bullet?
I would start out with no wad at all -if the bullet is pure lead. It just adds a variable. If it doesn't group well with a few different powder charges - then start adding variables.

52Bore said:
rangerod said:
I would start out with no wad at all -if the bullet is pure lead. It just adds a variable. If it doesn't group well with a few different powder charges - then start adding variables.

This ^^^

I switched from wool to veg fiber wads. wool wads have a smell. You can smell it when you shoot, and later when cleaning the rifle. This makes me think that something in the burning of wool, leaves behind a deposit of some kind in the barrel. I never notice this with the vegetable fiber. I also quit punching out wads myself. Guess I just got lazy, but for the price of 1000 veg wads, I figure its just not worth my time. I typically just use them unlubed

Latest posts

Back