Help!!! Barrel cleaning stained tub

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to muzzleoading and just started sighting mine in. Long story short, got a patch/jag stuck yesterday and after research telling me warm water and a little soak got it out. Tried again today with a different jag that had less contact with the bore, same result.

So my uncle saw me shooting and asked for some help installing a toilet just as this happens, so I go to the house,pull off my barrel and soak it in the tub while we do the install. Got the patch out, but now the tub has brown stains on it that aren't scrubbing out. Does anyone know how to lift the stain or what chemicals are in the powder residue that I can research how to neutralize? I only used soapy water before and a slightly oiled patch, followed by a dry one, so it's not cleaner or solvent that did it

Wally85 said:
Hey guys, I'm new to muzzleoading and just started sighting mine in. Long story short, got a patch/jag stuck yesterday and after research telling me warm water and a little soak got it out. Tried again today with a different jag that had less contact with the bore, same result.

So my uncle saw me shooting and asked for some help installing a toilet just as this happens, so I go to the house,pull off my barrel and soak it in the tub while we do the install. Got the patch out, but now the tub has brown stains on it that aren't scrubbing out. Does anyone know how to lift the stain or what chemicals are in the powder residue that I can research how to neutralize? I only used soapy water before and a slightly oiled patch, followed by a dry one, so it's not cleaner or solvent that did it

I have a couple of videos for you to watch. This first one is cleaning in the field. I am just guessing your not cleaning at the range.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

This next video is a full cleaning back home. Watch them both. By the way. I am using a bucket to clean the gun. The whole gun doesn't need to soak. In fact when I am in hunting camp I use a tin can from a can of green beans. You don't need a bath tub full of water.

https://youtu.be/Wuai-XGRSnk

What Idahoron said! Those 2 videos are what taught me how to clean my Sidelocks when i first started. Ron came up and hunted Whitetail deer with me year before last, we shot his Hotrod Hawken 1 of those days, When we got home and ready to clean i was AMAZED to see him get out a little Green Bean Can to clean! But it’s truly all you need to get the job done!

Re: Help!!! Barrel cleaning stained tu

Regular bleach should remove the stain in the bathtub? I have stained our bathtub as well after using Montana Extreme Bore polishing Compound, That stuff ends up black and if it touches the porcelain it is like glue and immediately bonds to the porcelain surface, The wife has some stuff designed to clean Batchtub, Toilet, etc. Called Soft Scrub, a tiny bit of that and a paper towel it literally wipes away, I always use a 5 Gallon bucket under the Tub spout, fill it about 1/4 is all, Pull the nipple, and start cleaning, after a bore polishing with Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound it’s inevitable that I’m gonna stain the tub, Soft scrub has bleach in it, the bleach is probably what’s cleaning the stain so easily? If you dont have a regular Porcelain cleaner such as Soft Scrub i would definitely try regular bleach

Back