Call for Original Whitworth's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Tom Rowe (search 'Tom Rowe books' - check out what he's written that available on Amazon) is wanting to do a book on Whitworth - Long Range ML. Tom is a good friend and asked if I could help in assembling Original Whitworth's. Bill Curtis (UK) has documented for decades all the Whitworth's he could document - now his health is declining and he's passed this on to Tom.
So, If anyone knows of anyone who own's an original Whitworth - please let me know. PM is fine.
Thanks
Rick

A while back, there was a woman on another forum, who inherited her fathers sharps collection. I see she has written a book on them, but at the time she knew little about the guns. He died at 90 something and was from Montana, and shot the guns regularly. His name was Austin Monk. The daughter was Janet. There is a FB page about it. He was mostly sharps, but there was pretty much everything in the collection. Try to contact her, maybe a good shot. The FB page is full of eye candy. https://www.facebook.com/sharpsriflesofmontana/

the collection was supposed to be well over 100 guns

Squeeze said:
A while back, there was a woman on another forum, who inherited her fathers sharps collection. I see she has written a book on them, but at the time she knew little about the guns. He died at 90 something and was from Montana, and shot the guns regularly. His name was Austin Monk. The daughter was Janet. There is a FB page about it. He was mostly sharps, but there was pretty much everything in the collection. Try to contact her, maybe a good shot. The FB page is full of eye candy. https://www.facebook.com/sharpsriflesofmontana/

Squeeze, I just looked at that Facebook page, WOW!!

Good collection! I've always preferred the British work of that era more the the American work. Sharps feel bulky compared to Alex Henry, who's my favorite.
Whitworth was the one who started - Long Range shooting as we know it today, and it still works.

Although any Whitworth will do... this style is perfection - IMO.

Attachments

• Whit Bill B.jpg
    Whit Bill B.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 121
52Bore said:
Although any Whitworth will do... this style is perfection - IMO.
Whit Bill B.jpg

I agree 52bore, that is a FINE lookin rifle for sure!!

Thanks
I have an original John Rigby match rifle, good to see some of its mates..
#2 - I know a few of the gentleman, my Oak Ridge match is posted on page 2 by David Minshall - we've known each other for 20 years, although he's in England, we communicate often.

Back