Lyman barrel swap?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossie

Reaction score
I have a Lyman deerstalker which is 1/48 twist .54 caliber and wonder if I could mount a Lyman Great Plains 1/60 twist 32" barrel on this stock? My first concern is that the GPR has two under lugs where my Deerstalker barrel has one. Could someone who has the GPR barrel measure from the end of the hooked plug to the rear of the first wedge lug and post what it is? I am not sure how those lugs are attached to the barrel but if the forward one could be removed it just might fit my stock. Anyone ever try this?

the lugs on a Lyman GPR are brazed or silver-soldered on. neither lug will line up with yer Deerstalker wedge hole. you will have to install an underlug in the correct position on the GPR barrel and either remove the factory lugs or inlet yer barrel channel for them to hide in.

bubba.50 said:
the lugs on a Lyman GPR are brazed or silver-soldered on. neither lug will line up with yer Deerstalker wedge hole. you will have to install an underlug in the correct position on the GPR barrel and either remove the factory lugs or inlet yer barrel channel for them to hide in.

Hey bubba, Has the brazed on under-lugs ever been a problem breaking loose on the GP rifles? That was one of my concerns when i bought my Lyman GP Hunter .54 Cal 1:32 Twist, Sure seems like a cheap thing to do? Seems like dove tailing them in would have been much more durable

Idaholewis said:
bubba.50 said:

Hey bubba, Has the brazed on under-lugs ever been a problem breaking loose on the GP rifles? That was one of my concerns when i bought my Lyman GP Hunter .54 Cal 1:32 Twist, Sure seems like a cheap thing to do? Seems like dove tailing them in would have been much more durable

I don't know Lewis. I've heard of but never seen one come off. but I'll tell ya right now it's one thing that's always concerned when Lyman advises in their manuals to hammer on these lugs to tighten up a loose wedge.

bubba.50 said:
Idaholewis said:
bubba.50 said:

I don't know Lewis. I've heard of but never seen one come off. but I'll tell ya right now it's one thing that's always concerned when Lyman advises in their manuals to hammer on these lugs to tighten up a loose wedge.

I hear ya bubba!! This Lyman GP Hunter is the 1st and only current production Muzzleloader i have bought brand new in its box, When i was Cleaning it up and putting it together the wedge keys needed messed with (the rear key would fall out) i read the accompanying manual that came with the rifle and it said to use a piece of Round bar stock and sit it flat across the top of the underLug and give it a good wack, I got to looking at the way the lugs are put on? Just 2 tiny little spot weld looking spots, 1 on each end. Looks to me like the whole underLug could POP right off with a good wack? Cheesy lookin setup to me!

Back