Lyman .54 Cal GP Hunter 1:32 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Took my Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32 Twist out for a stroll this morning, i wanted to try my ‘Scool Bus’ PP bullets in it with 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, She shot well for the conditions i was in. I decided to try and get out to the local sand pit this morning, that road is NASTY right now to say the least! Once i got out there i was more concerned about getting back than shooting my rifle :shock: There is a Mudhole you have to get through, i forgot how deep it was til i got in it, No joke it was up to the bottom of my doors and full of ice, I GAURANTEE ya i won’t be going back out there til spring time! :D

I was able to get 75 yards, i had to stay in the rutts from the last rig out there, the snow is a good 2ft deep, i had 1 foot down by my tire, and the other up on the snow bank behind me, definitely NOT ideal comfortable conditions!

Here’s the ‘School Bus’ Bullet i was shooting, i had this bullet made from the S&W 500 bullet, it drops from my mold at .533-.534 she’s a BIG WHOMPER at 532 Grains of Pure Lead

Outside edge to Outside edge measured exactly 1-3/4” This rifle shoots better than this from a bench, but for the conditions i was in I’m ok with this.

It might not look like it in this pic, but that mudhole/ice hole is DEEP! I went around the outside edge on the way back. When you get out to the open Sandpit the snow is a good 2ft deep, I couldn’t have gotten out of the rutts even if i had wanted to. Winter time shooting around here is a rough sport :D

This Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle has taken a little time to grow on me, After i bought it and started going over it i really didn’t like it, At least compared to the TC Renegade and Hawken. The Top of the Crescent butt plate on the Lyman is REALLY sharp, in my opinion it’s dangerously sharp! I pulled the Butt plate and lightly ground the Ridiculous ‘knife edge’ down a little with a sanding wheel and reblued it, then filled the Crescent with memory foam and installed a nice lace up leather butt pad. Since i shoot peep sights exclusively i pulled the cheap little rear sight from the Dovetail and ground it down to make a nice Dovetail filler and reblued it. The Lyman GP Rifles are already drilled and tapped for Lyman’s 57 peep, i bought the 57 and the 17 AEU Globe for it. The fit n finish is nothing to brag about, they are kinda rough around the edges, little meaningless things like tooling swirl marks on the barrel surface etc. im probably being nitpicky, but i can say from hands on experience with this one that they are NOT near as well fit n finished as the Old TC Hawkens and Renegades. On the upside, This Rifle is a REALLY good shooter, and not picky at all. I have tried several different combos in it and have yet to see it shoot bad? So far it has shot everything ive thrown at it from Good to Excellent! Anyone thinking about a reasonably priced bullet shooting Sidelock I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another 1 of these

Harleysboss said:
I bet the "school bus" made a sweet WHACK when they hit home! Nice shooting.

HB, With that BIG WIDE Meplat She hits HARD, REALLY HARD! And shoots very accurate in both of my Quicky Twist .54s

Here is a .430 Hornady XTP bullet for my .44 Magnum sitting on just the Meplat

Where in Idaho, Lewis? I'm in Sandpoint with 100 yard back pasture range. I have targets set at 50 yards and 100 yards. Been working up loads every nice day.

Attachments

• 100 yard backyard winter gun range.jpg
    100 yard backyard winter gun range.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 115
Dirtfarmer said:
Where in Idaho, Lewis? I'm in Sandpoint with 100 yard back pasture range. I have targets set at 50 yards and 100 yards. Been working up loads every nice day.

HOLY COW! I am just in Priest River, about 30 minutes from Sandpoint. I drive through there often, i am a VERY regular customer over at Buffalo Arms in Ponderay. Would be really neat to get together and do some shooting! What kind of rifle, and Caliber do you shoot? Bullets or Roundball? Have you ever shot Paper Patched bullets? I have a large selection of stuff to shoot!

Dirtfarmer said:

I just read your posts and see you have a CVA Optima .50 Cal 1:28 Twist, while I’m not an inline guy, i can almost Gaurantee ya i have a few different .50 Cal load combos that will REALLY make that rifle come alive, From Custom Paper Patch bullets, to Custom Grease Groove, Vege wads, LDPE (Poly) to Wool. I’m confident i can help you get the most out of it! :yeah:

Back