17 series insert comparison

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I have been asked a few times about inserts for the 17 series Globes, figured i would take a close up pic of the Lee Shavers vs Lyman for Comparison.

Lyman on the left (this is what you get with the Lyman 17 Series Globes, package of 10) And Lee Shavers on the right, you get 10 Shavers as well, they come in a card, you bend them til the little tab breaks them loose. As you can clearly see there is a HUGE difference. If ultra fine pin point is what you want, you will be THOROUGHLY pleased with the Lee Shavers inserts! With the ultra fine bead (top far right) i can stil see a bullseye spot at 200 yards! Try that with this Lyman bead :D But The Shavers aren’t for everyone, Example being my Dad, He feels they are to fine for his liking? I absolutely LOVE them!

I've used the top middle one to shoot Chickens with my cartridge rifle. Chickes are 200 meters offhand. the little dot at the top just covers the chicken. and makes the sight picture easier to hold

I like the way Lee Shaves look. I’m sure they would meet your needs for target shooting better then Lyman’s as well as hunting. Wished somebody could design one with a fiber optic bead.

edmehlig said:
I like the way Lee Shaves look. I’m sure they would meet your needs for target shooting better then Lyman’s as well as hunting. Wished somebody could design one with a fiber optic bead.

Ed, I have actually been working at getting something like that made for well over a year now for us guys that hunt. I have spoken with Lee about it twice, my idea was a little tiny tritium bead, the same stuff they use in night pistol sights. Lee didn’t seem interested in the tritium since it is radioactive. He did mention a fiber optic wrap with fine bead tho, one that actually wrapped several times around the 17 Globe to gather more light (same as high quality archery sights today) the new fiber optic wire stuff is amazingly durable stuff! The old stuff years ago was brittle and would break easily, The new stuff today is not like that! I bought a brand new 5 pin archery sight last year that had the fiber optic wrap around the housing, I decided to pull 1 of the pins and go with 4 pins instead, when I removed the pin and fiber optic wrap it was about 12-15” long I actually tried to intentionally break it but all it did was bend, I couldn’t break it. TOUGH STUFF! They have definitely came WAY up in technology with that stuff over the years!

I even contacted Trijicon to see if they were interested in making an insert? They seemed interested and were suppose to get back with me but never have?

I too like and use the small post and bead from Lee Shavers. The only drawback I’ve found hunting with it is in low light conditions. I did use one of the Lyman posts to make a fiber optic sight which I’m still playing with. My first prototype really didn’t have enough glow to it using the small fiber. I came up with a simple way of holding the fiber in place where the bead would be that worked out great. Maybe I’ll post some pictures when I get on that project again.

Magnum said:
I too like and use the small post and bead from Lee Shavers. The only drawback I’ve found hunting with it is in low light conditions. I did use one of the Lyman posts to make a fiber optic sight which I’m still playing with. My first prototype really didn’t have enough glow to it using the small fiber. I came up with a simple way of holding the fiber in place where the bead would be that worked out great. Maybe I’ll post some pictures when I get on that project again.

Definitely keep us posted on your results! I have seen pictures where this has been done before, there was a guy that was doing them with the Lyman bead since it was larger, he was drilling a tiny hole dead center of the bead and inserting a short length piece of fiber optic, i will try and find that again

Maybe if Lyman modified their globe sight to have a large opening on top it would enable enough light for the fiber optic to be brighter. I'm sure if someone has an extra globe sight and a Dremel it may be possible to create the opening on top????

edmehlig said:
Maybe if Lyman modified their globe sight to have a large opening on top it would enable enough light for the fiber optic to be brighter. I'm sure if someone has an extra globe sight and a Dremel it may be possible to create the opening on top????

Sabotloader has a picture floating around of a front hood with a large opening in the top of it like you describe, and a fiber optic bead sight, It looked like it was on a newer Knight, like the ultralight?

45cal said:
I've used the top middle one to shoot Chickens with my cartridge rifle. Chickes are 200 meters offhand. the little dot at the top just covers the chicken. and makes the sight picture easier to hold

I use that middle one to hunt with, and the super fine bead on the far right for target work. But i do plan to go to the circles for target work, there must be a good reason most of the long range guys I’ve spoken with use, and swear by the circles

Back