Great Plains 54 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
Was thinking about one of these rifles. I have a pedersoli hawken don't really like it I guess getting parts for the pedersoli is really what I don't like. I hear the Lyman rifle you can get parts locks ECT fairly easy thoughts anyone.

Rlsmith said:
Was thinking about one of these rifles. I have a pedersoli hawken don't really like it I guess getting parts for the pedersoli is really what I don't like. I hear the Lyman rifle you can get parts locks ECT fairly easy thoughts anyone.

I have the Lyman Great Plains Hunter, it took awhile to grow on me but i have learned to really like it! Mine is a very good shooting rifle. I just recently started a thread here about my Lyman Great Plains Hunter you will find just below. Are you looking at the regular GP Round ball rifle, or the GPH Bullet shooter?

Personally i have never had to deal with Lyman Customer Service for anything, so i can’t comment anything about them first hand, But I have read MANY MANY bad reviews about their Customer service, i have also spoken with GOOD friends that have dealt with Lyman directly with NOTHING good to say about their CS. Even with all the bad Reviews from every angle I stil went ahead and bought the Lyman Great Plains Hunter Rifle. Hopefully i will never need to use their Customer Service, but if i do, i sure hope i have better luck than I’ve heard from friends, and Read a BUNCH about. Something you might take in to consideration

Rlsmith said:

I can’t imagine the Pedersoli Hawken needing any parts? A lock should last a lifetime if cared for properly. If it’s a percussion/cap Gun The only thing that should need replacing is the nippe from time to time. I highly advise Treso/Ampco nipples, they are very durable and far outlast Stainless. If shooting a Sub powder like Pyrodex the Flashole will be to small and need drilled out from the stock .028 to about .031-.032 for reliable ignition

Back