Flint Lock Practice Options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
Need to reach out to veteran flinters for voices of experience. I want to become more competent with my flinter... I think I can shoot it as well as my aging eyes and iron sights will permit OFF A REST... but shoot miserably offhand... I know that I don't shoot the rifle enough to master it and each year I think I will get it out well before PA's flintlock season, but if I get it to the range half a dozen times before season, I'm doing good...

Part of the reason I don't shoot more often with the flinter is because I spend a lot of my range time on other firearms, both centerfire and black powder... somehow the flilnter gets left at the bottom of the "to do" list... after some contemplation I think the reason that it is the low priority is I hate to not do well at something... also, it just isn't fun when I am struggling to get a decent group... I'm sure that I am not alone...

Again this year I'm saying to myself that I will get better, but I have no plan...and without a plan, I doubt that I will obtain the results I want...
I don't have a custom made high end rifle, I have an RMC AccuSporter with an L&R lock and fast twist 1:28 barrel...I have been able to shoot acceptable(to me) groups off a rest at 50 & 100 yds using 460 grain paper patched conical bullets.

Here are some of the options that I am considering and some questions or "issues" where others who have mastered the flinter can help.

1. Removing the flint and replacing it with a piece of hard wood to practice dry firing offhand inside(warm, dry and no travel time)

2. Doing the above, but with eyes closed or covered to reduce "flinch" (I know I normally shoot low when shooting offhand)

3. Shooting a lighter bullet/powder combination for practice. I currently shoot 80gr Swiss FFF with a 460 gr bullet... lot of recoil, lot of lead & powder for each shot... but have no experience with lighter loads in a fast twist barrel... some of you may have suggestions

4. Thought of going way out and getting another fllinter in .36 or .32 to shoot. Thinking it would be more enjoyable to shoot and perhaps help break bad habits... but in looking also see that expense be to large for my budget...I considered trying to trade with some in-lines or centerfires, but doubt that is very realistic..

5, Just shoot more with the bullet powder combo I hunt with... another member posed a question about flash hole erosion by shooting heavy charges.. I have no experience... does anyone else?

Thanks in advance for taking a look... I am eager to improve and am welcome to all views..
Kindest regards,
TheMoose

If I were you I would buy some round balls and patches and start with about 40 - 50 grains of black powder. Maybe even 30 grains.
Cheaper to shoot and less recoil.
I have a Bobby Hoyt .50 calber barrel with 1 in 24 twist for bullets and John Bergmann, the builder, said it shot great with .490 diameter lead ball and a .018 patch.
Best of luck!

thanks a lot for the suggestion... it can't hurt to try... I will do it on bench first to see if I can find accurate load then go to offhand... sure would save powder and lead... Thanks again

Latest posts

Back