Scoped Percussion Mz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My eyes no longer good enough for open sights. Thinking about trying a scope on a Traditions percussion muzzleloader. Maybe quik release rings so I can take the scope off to clean the barrel. I'll admit to not having a clue. Help me please.

rangerod, Have you ever considered a good peep sight? Try looking through 1 to see if that helps? You might be pleasantly surprised!? Regular buckhorn style open sights are EXTREMELY difficult, to nearly impossible for me! But I can shoot a peep sight REALLY well. When my vision is forced down through the little tiny peep hole everything clears up and looks nice n sharp for me. I have peep sights on every Muzzleloader i own!

If my eyesight required it, I would NOT hesitate a second to mount a scope!! TC use to make a scope mount for their Hawken/Renegade, Not sure if Traditions does or not? If not it wouldn’t be a big deal to have it drilled and tapped for a Scope Base, i would use a Picatinny Rail type base and leave it permanently attached to the barrel. Then just a good quality set of QR Rings so you could take the scope on and off for cleaning the barrel. I have thought MANY times about a good quality scope just for load development and once i got the load dialed in for the rifle i would pull the scope and go back to my peep sights. My fear is i would start relying on it, and then trying to transition back to my peep sights would be TOUGH on me. On Muzzleloader only hunts here in Idaho we cannot use a scope, so I have made myself resist the Scope and stick with my peep sights.

The Simple fact is we are designed to deteriorate (as horrible as that sounds we all know it’s the HONEST truth) If my eyesight gets to the point that I can no longer enjoy this sport of Muzzleloading with open sights, you can darn well bet I’ll be mounting scopes!! Dave Anderson (Cayuga) Had Scopes mounted on several Sidelocks due to his eyesight. I fear this day isn’t a super long ways away for me, i cut my right eye Working in the woods years ago and it has NEVER been the same since.

Here is a simple yet very effective way to test your eyes for a peep sight without having 1, Take a good clear set of Safety glasses, cover the lenses with black tape, totally blacken them out, cut a tiny peep hole in the tape for your sight eye, Test this with your regular open sights and see if it makes a difference? Get on a bench and put your rifle on a target, Test Back n Forth with and without the modified glasses, Like i said you might be pleasantly surprised

When i cut my right eye years ago I really thought i was gonna go blind in it? I was bed ridden in the dark for a couple of days by Dr orders, When i started getting out and trying to see again I simply couldn’t? Everything was cloudy, I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face? All i could tell was light from dark. At My checkup Dr appointment I expressed my fear that I would never be able to see again in that eye? The Dr looked my eye over closely with a headset magnifying type thing, he said ‘it looks great, healing right up! I’m gonna have you do an eye test’ I looked at him and in a PI$$ED off way and said an eye test??? ‘THIS AINT A JOKE TO ME!! I CANT SEE ANYTHING, I AM BLIND in it!! The eye Dr smiled and handed me a Spoon shaped thing, it had several tiny holes spaced apart in it, he had me close my good eye and hold that spoon shaped thing up to my bad eye and look through it, WOW!!!! I COULD SEE AGAIN!! I could EASILY read the 20/20 eye test! But as quick as i removed that thing i went blind again? Everything was a Hazy, Cloudy mess. Everyday my eyesight got a little better until i peaked out, That happened 28 years ago. Like i said my eyesight in that eye has never been the same. Regular open sights on a rifle are basically a joke to me, But i can shoot a peep sight VERY well, i have shot all the way out to 500 yards!

I do have the tang mounted peep on my Lyman Deerstalker with the globe on the front and Lee Shaver Inserts. Inserts are too fine. Might have too try a different insert.

Latest posts

Back