Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndswede

Reaction score
I'd like to add a Lyman peep sight and globe front sight to my Traditions Mountain rifle but don't know which ones to buy. How high of a globe sight will I need? If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lyman 57SML tang mounted peep, or the Williams FP Hawken. Without knowing your rifle i would say Lyman 17AML Globe for safety, Lyman makes 3 or 4 different height 17 series Globes. What you need depends on how High/Low your tang is. I personally prefer the lowest one which is the 17AHB at .404 height, this allows me to keep my peep bridge really low, leaving more elevation adjustment, And simply fits me better. The 17AML is .494 High, not a huge difference, but very noticeable! Not sure about your Traditions Dovetail cut, is it Standard 3/8 or Euro Cut? Sorry, I don’t know anything about Traditions rifles, i am a TC Guy. You definitely need to know what Dovetail cut you have? If it is Euro, Lyman makes a Globe specifically for that Dove cut it is the 17AEU and .464 tall.

Re: RE: Re: Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

Idaholewis said:
Lyman 57SML tang mounted peep, or the Williams FP Hawken. Without knowing your rifle i would say Lyman 17AML Globe for safety, Lyman makes 3 or 4 different height 17 series Globes. What you need depends on how High/Low your tang is. I personally prefer the lowest one which is the 17AHB at .404 height, this allows me to keep my peep bridge really low, leaving more elevation adjustment, And simply fits me better. The 17AML is .494 High, not a huge difference, but very noticeable! Not sure about your Traditions Dovetail cut, is it Standard 3/8 or Euro Cut? Sorry, I don’t know anything about Traditions rifles, i am a TC Guy. You definitely need to know what Dovetail cut you have? If it is Euro, Lyman makes a Globe specifically for that Dove cut it is the 17AEU and .464 tall.
Is there any way to measure what size dovetail is on this Traditions Mountain rifle?

ndswede said:
Idaholewis said:
Is there any way to measure what size dovetail is on this Traditions Mountain rifle?

Set of dial calipers, the easiest way is when the stock front sight is removed measure the sight dove itself with your dial calipers, instead of trying to measure the Dove cut in the barrel, if it is Standard 3/8 it will measure right around .375, if it is Euro it will measure .340, or .360 cant remember for sure? But it will be obvious with Calipers. I know Lyman Rifles are Euro Dovetail, but I have no idea about Traditions? If someone else doesn’t come on here with known info on the Traditions dovetail size i would call Traditions and ask them.

On the Lyman 57SML it is quite possible you will need to remove material from the wrist of the stock (which I don’t advise, but will work) or Modify the sight base, i prefer to modify the sight base and leave my stock alone, this modification does NOTHING to hurt/weaken the sight, or it’s function. Idahoron has a good tutorial with pictures on how he does this. I have done 5 or 6 of these now, i use a towel or something to pad my vise Jaws, push the elevation adjustment button on the sight base and remove the slider. Then slightly clamp the sight base in the padded vise so it cant move, i use a Dremel with a medium to course sanding wheel. Again without knowing your rifle i can’t tell you if you would need to do this or not? If so, it is a super easy task!

It is square when you start (usually this square edge hits the stock wrist and won’t allow the sight base to sit flush) this is what you want it to look like. takes about 5 mins to do

I personally prefer the Williams FP Hawken, no need for any Grinding of the base, BUT the slider might possibly touch the side of the stock? If so you would need to remove a very small notch in the stock for the slider to clear, again VERY simple. I did not have to mess with anything on my TC Hawken, it bolted straight up. I HIGHLY advise you get the Gib elevator lock if end up going with this sight. Without the Gib you would need a little flathead screwdriver to make elevation adjustments, with the Knurled Gib lock you can loosen by thumb and index finger, allowing you to make field adjustments

Here is my FP Hawken on my Thompson Center Hawken, i have the Large Target Aperture in this one (they simply change out by unscrewing, and installing whatever size aperture you prefer) the FP Hawken comes with a really small aperture, i prefer this larger 1” for everything, personal preference thing.

This model is the Williams FP Hawken with TK (Target Knobs)

I put the lowest Lyman 17 series front globe on the lowest front ramp I could find to fit my ML. I put a Williams WGRS peep on the back, and had to max out the elevation adjustment. Seems I'm not the only one. I've seen other posts on shimming rear peeps to get more elevation. Which I plan on doing with both my MLs. I will say that results may vary, depending on projectiles. When I used to shoot 260-300 grain sabots, I had plenty of elevation adjustment left. Going to 370 to +400 grain conicals left me wanting for more.

If you're not sure what dovetail you have, I'd recommend you ask the manufacturer, or a local gunsmith. I think 3/8 is most common.

ndswede said:
Idaholewis said:

If you can tolerate him, Go over to Frontiermuzzleloading and ask that Jon guy what the Dovetail size is? He pushes Traditions HARD

Idaholewis said:
ndswede said:
Idaholewis said:

If you can tolerate him, Go over to Frontiermuzzleloading and ask that Jon guy what the Dovetail size is? He pushes Traditions HARD

and he ain't a bit shy about tellin' ya how great he is. and while yer there he'll sell ya some miracle bullets that'll shoot deer further than you can see them & process the meat for ya while they're at it. and some wonder-lube that'll not only make yer gun 10 years newer, it'll cure herpes and hemrhoids and make yer gun's breath minty fresh.

Re: RE: Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

ndswede said:
I'd like to add a Lyman peep sight and globe front sight to my Traditions Mountain rifle but don't know which ones to buy. How high of a globe sight will I need? If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

I think Williams has a chart on their site to calculate but probably faster to call them ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: RE: Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

muzzlestuffer said:
ndswede said:

I think Williams has a chart on their site to calculate but probably faster to call them ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll measure that front sight and I checked out the Williams FP Hawkin peep last night. I appreciate the help.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

ndswede said:
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll measure that front sight and I checked out the Williams FP Hawkin peep last night. I appreciate the help.

No problem! I have no doubt you will love the FP Hawken!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

Idaholewis said:
ndswede said:
Idaholewis said:

Set of dial calipers, the easiest way is when the stock front sight is removed measure the sight dove itself with your dial calipers, instead of trying to measure the Dove cut in the barrel, if it is Standard 3/8 it will measure right around .375, if it is Euro it will measure .340, or .360 cant remember for sure? But it will be obvious with Calipers. I know Lyman Rifles are Euro Dovetail, but I have no idea about Traditions? If someone else doesn’t come on here with known info on the Traditions dovetail size i would call Traditions and ask them.

On the Lyman 57SML it is quite possible you will need to remove material from the wrist of the stock (which I don’t advise, but will work) or Modify the sight base, i prefer to modify the sight base and leave my stock alone, this modification does NOTHING to hurt/weaken the sight, or it’s function. Idahoron has a good tutorial with pictures on how he does this. I have done 5 or 6 of these now, i use a towel or something to pad my vise Jaws, push the elevation adjustment button on the sight base and remove the slider. Then slightly clamp the sight base in the padded vise so it cant move, i use a Dremel with a medium to course sanding wheel. Again without knowing your rifle i can’t tell you if you would need to do this or not? If so, it is a super easy task!

It is square when you start (usually this square edge hits the stock wrist and won’t allow the sight base to sit flush) this is what you want it to look like. takes about 5 mins to do
Thanks for your help so far. Now I need more help. I tapped out the front sight today and measured it. The dovetail is .345" in breadth. (If that's the right way to describe it). The standard dovetail cut is 3/8" and the European cut is 11mm. Both of which are bigger. How can I replace my old sight with a new Lyman 17 globe sight?

get a small triangle file, grind one side smooth to make a 'safe file', slowly with a lot of trial & error file the base of the sight 'til it gets to where it can be driven into the barrel dovetail.

a lot easier than it sounds by the way.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Peep for Traditions Mountain Rifle

ndswede said:
Thanks for your help so far. Now I need more help. I tapped out the front sight today and measured it. The dovetail is .345" in breadth. (If that's the right way to describe it). The standard dovetail cut is 3/8" and the European cut is 11mm. Both of which are bigger. How can I replace my old sight with a new Lyman 17 globe sight?

Something sounds odd with that? It should be closer to .360, I am pretty sure Traditions uses the Euro Dove?

Bubba gave good advice, you need a square file with a Safe side, if you buy a purpose made dovetail file they are SPENDY! You could probably make 1, though i have never done it. But you definitely want a safe side (Smooth) And if your .345 measurement is correct you will want the Lyman 17AEU which is the European dovetail. If you are not comfortable doing this i would DEFINITELY take it to a Gunsmith guy, or a Machinist if you know anyone, in the end it might be cheaper to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing. Sorry I don’t have an easy answer

Latest posts

Back