Little .45 Greaser SUCCESS!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to shoot between rain spells, it was right on freezing this morning between 31-32 degrees, This is the new Little Lyman 457191, The bullet weighs 292 Grains with 40:1 Alloy, i lubed and sized these down to .452, upon loading they started nice n tight, and to my surprise they stayed that same tight all the way to the powder, they didn’t loosen up a bit! I swear by this 40:1 Alloy, It is darn good stuff in these Muzzleloaders!

I actually shot 6 times total, the first clean cold bore shot was at a Clay pigeon piece on a snow bank 100 yards or a little better away, I didn’t hit it, nor did i trudge through the snow to see where i hit? I swabbed good and started my group on paper, my first shot was above the Bull, once i seen i was on target i went ahead and shot the next 2, I walked up and checked, 1 was in the same hole as my first shot, and the other went left about 2” for whatever reason? I walked back and shot my last 2, they grouped right in with my first, i can definitely blame the 2” left flyer on me. This is a DARN good little bullet, EXTREMELY Accurate, And with 55 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F powder She’s more than a pleasure to shoot! This is EXACTLY what i was hoping for when i bought this mold, an Accurate light weight bullet that is fun to shoot, I definitely have that with this bullet!! The light Recoil is comical, FUN! What a treat after getting hammered by 500 grain bullets and 90-95 Grains of Swiss 2F

My target, 5 shots, 55 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F Powder, .45 Cal wool OP Wad (i swear by Wool OP Wads with GG bullets) I also used my powder drop tube this morning.

And my bullets again, these were lubed with the new Lube i made from forum member edmehlig’s Recipe, I didn’t have any blue die, and my Beeswax was Darker yellow/brown instead of White, i ended up thinning the lube down quite a bit by adding a pound of my Bear Grease Lube to the mixture, I personally feel i have it dead on for me. I am a happy camper with it! Other than mine isn’t quite as PURTY as Ed’s Blue stuff

Lew Great shooting! While this would increase recoil wonder how the groups would be with 65-75gr of Swiss 3F. As I mentioned a few times my at the time my9yr old grandson dropped his first doe with 50gr of 777-3F with my 350gr HP bullet st about 50 yds. So I’m sure your bullet/load would not be an issue in harvesting a deer.

edmehlig said:
Lew Great shooting! While this would increase recoil wonder how the groups would be with 65-75gr of Swiss 3F. As I mentioned a few times my at the time my9yr old grandson dropped his first doe with 50gr of 777-3F with my 350gr HP bullet st about 50 yds. So I’m sure your bullet/load would not be an issue in harvesting a deer.

I plan to play with this little bullet a bunch this spring/summer when the weather gets nice, i want to go up with powder, and try for 300 yards, this little bullet is REALLY fun to shoot, Recoil is almost none. Again, the funny part is i am calling this a ‘little’ bullet, when in fact there is really nothing that little about a 300 Grain bullet! I would have ZERO hesitation in shooting a deer with this bullet, even an Elk, or Moose for that matter if it were legal to do so. Being confident in shot placement is the absolute key! And this Hawken Rifle with GM LRH .45 Cal barrel is a DEADLY Rig!! If i could only have 1 Muzzleloader, it would be this rifle!

I have another bulet in my mind to test, going the other extreme in weight. Think I’ll run over and grab the mold? So far this .45 Has shot everything I’ve tried in it well, From good, to EXTREMELY good. My only regret is not buying a half dozen of these barrels when i bought this 1, GM stil Had Between 40 and 50 of these .45 LRH NOS barrels sitting on the shelf, i paid a whopping 75 bucks for this barrel brand new from Green Mountain, it came with nice Williams Fiber optic sights, and a delrin Ramrod. I just didn’t know any better back then, I really didn’t want a .45 Cal barrel, i was looking for a .50, or .54 GM LRH to meet our .50 Cal Minimum for Elk. I ended up finding, and Acquiring both the .50, and the .54, Looking back i sure wish i had grabbed a few of these .45s at 75.00 when i had the chance

Lewis that's some good shooting. Just received my 457191 mold in the mail, looks like I have some catching up to do.

That's awesome! I have not purchased a mold for my 45 yet...yet! LOL. Just breaking in my 45LRH set up. Fired my first ever shots through it today. Your PP bullets that you sent loaded perfectly. Ran out of lead while working on getting my 100yd zero.

Light bullets with light loads will work.
I agree, a good youth load - nearly same load as my youngest son shot his 1st deer with a ML (original).
What do you plan to shoot?

52Bore said:
What do you plan to shoot?

In all honesty probably nothing, LOL! But what a fun little bullet to shoot! I am a total tinkerer and truly enjoy messing with this stuff, I just got another mold today! :D I might possibly deer hunt with this little bullet? I have a BUNCH more testing to do with this one this Spring/Summer when the weather gets nice and i can stretch out a ways. How do you think this 300 Grain bullet will fly to 300 yards? I consider 150-200 Max hunting distance for me with Open/peep sights, but would like to have the capability of 300 yards if possible?

Harleysboss said:
That's awesome! I have not purchased a mold for my 45 yet...yet! LOL. Just breaking in my 45LRH set up. Fired my first ever shots through it today. Your PP bullets that you sent loaded perfectly. Ran out of lead while working on getting my 100yd zero.

AWESOME deal! It looked like you were right there with it, did i send you some of the .444 BACO Bullets? I just got some 380s that should do really good, the 400s are what i am shooting to 500 yards, just thought I’d try the 380s, But I haven’t shot any yet.

What i did with my .45 LRH when it was brand new before it was ever fired, I polished the bore with Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound (Equivalent to JB, or possibly better?) about 150 strokes. It looked like a mirror inside. All i have done since then is shoot it!

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis that's some good shooting. Just received my 457191 mold in the mail, looks like I have some catching up to do.

Saxton, I have no doubt you will LOVE that little bullet!!

Last fall i picked up a rather light weight Knight Wolverine in 45 caliber from a member here that I would like to try this bullet in. Of course I'm going to shoot it in my Green Mountain LRH Barrel as well.

I wish i had gotten Chronograph numbers yesterday, But it’s miserable to drag that thing along in this snow, Spring/Summer isn’t that far away. 55 Grains of Swiss 3F with a 292 Grain bullet is Probably doing more than 1 might think? This Swiss is HOT powder. I can only guess numbers, i would think 1200 fps, I would like to see it Run around 1300 fps, Dan from Bullshop was telling me in an Email that 1300 fps is “Magical” in a Muzzleloader. My Stainless .50 Cal GM LRH is Running closer to 1,450 fps and it does VERY well there, My .45 Cal is right in that 13-1350 fps range. I am curious How fast a guy can push this little 292 Grain bullet before accuracy deteriorates? I will definitely find out this Spring

Re: RE: Little .45 Greaser SUCCESS!

Idaholewis said:
I finally got a chance to shoot between rain spells, it was right on freezing this morning between 31-32 degrees, This is the new Little Lyman 457191, The bullet weighs 292 Grains with 40:1 Alloy, i lubed and sized these down to .452, upon loading they started nice n tight, and to my surprise they stayed that same tight all the way to the powder, they didn’t loosen up a bit! I swear by this 40:1 Alloy, It is darn good stuff in these Muzzleloaders!

I actually shot 6 times total, the first clean cold bore shot was at a Clay pigeon piece on a snow bank 100 yards or a little better away, I didn’t hit it, nor did i trudge through the snow to see where i hit? I swabbed good and started my group on paper, my first shot was above the Bull, once i seen i was on target i went ahead and shot the next 2, I walked up and checked, 1 was in the same hole as my first shot, and the other went left about 2” for whatever reason? I walked back and shot my last 2, they grouped right in with my first, i can definitely blame the 2” left flyer on me. This is a DARN good little bullet, EXTREMELY Accurate, And with 55 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F powder She’s more than a pleasure to shoot! This is EXACTLY what i was hoping for when i bought this mold, an Accurate light weight bullet that is fun to shoot, I definitely have that with this bullet!! The light Recoil is comical, FUN! What a treat after getting hammered by 500 grain bullets and 90-95 Grains of Swiss 2F

My target, 5 shots, 55 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F Powder, .45 Cal wool OP Wad (i swear by Wool OP Wads with GG bullets) I also used my powder drop tube this morning.

And my bullets again, these were lubed with the new Lube i made from forum member edmehlig’s Recipe, I didn’t have any blue die, and my Beeswax was Darker yellow/brown instead of White, i ended up thinning the lube down quite a bit by adding a pound of my Bear Grease Lube to the mixture, I personally feel i have it dead on for me. I am a happy camper with it! Other than mine isn’t quite as PURTY as Ed’s Blue stuff
Good shooting there! Who cares what the lube looks like as long as it works. Question on the drop tube have you done any comparison shooting with and without ?
Thanks
Muzzlestuffer

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Little .45 Greaser SUCCESS!

muzzlestuffer said:
Question on the drop tube have you done any comparison shooting with and without ?
Thanks
Muzzlestuffer

I haven’t done any direct comparison shooting (Group for Group) up until recently i used a small plastic funnel at the Muzzle. But me being me, I got to thinking about Drop tubes, and why they use them? They are used in a couple of different ways, 1 being the powder settles differently (uniformely) when allowed to ‘free fall’ But That wasn’t what interested me, i got to thinking about Swabbing between shots (i religiously swab between shots with 50/50 Blue Windex, and 91% isopropyl Alcohol) I swab good between shots to keep the bore consistent. Once you have fouled the bore and you swab there is always gonna be a certain amount of fouling left in the grooves that a patched jag just can’t get, it only makes sense that this fouling will collect moisture from the damp Swabbing patch, even though i run 2-3 Dry patches after, The more you shoot/Swab the worse this would likely get? There would be a point where this stabilizes out as long as everything you did was/is consistent. But at the end it leaves a moist fouling in the Grooves. Then you take a funnel that just slips in the Muzzle and dump your bone dry powder charge in, I can’t crawl in there and look, but it makes sense to me that a certain amount of powder would ‘Cling’ to the Bore Walls, The moist fouling in the grooves acting like a Magnet to the Dry powder.

By using a Drop tube you are taking the above possibilities out, The inside of the drop tube is always clean, you lower the tube in the bore and i can actually feel it start to enter the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber, i dump my charge in and it ‘Free Falls’ straight to, and in the Powder Chamber, i lift about 2 inches and tap the tube. I made my Drop Tube from an Aluminum Arrow Shaft, probably unnecessary but i used a string and pulled a couple of fabric softeners through it.

I feel like it’s another edge, taking out another variable. I have no proof that it’s doing anything above? But it makes good sense that it would, I have read a bunch, and talked to a few guy’s that i trust ANYTHING they tell me in this stuff, they swear by a Drop tube, and say serious competitive shooters use them. That’s plenty for me to trust, and use one.

Accuracy is my number 1 priority in this stuff. It is cool to hit a gallon jug of water at 100 yards with open sights, But even cooler when you can call the Cap of the Gallon jug and take it off. That is the kind of accuracy i strive for! ANYTHING i feel might give me an edge? I’M GONNA TAKE IT! :D

Back